WWE Royal Rumble 2022

Perry

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Po. Presumably the next baby will be called Tinky Winky. 

In fairness to them it's shortened from La’akea Makalapuaokalanipõ (presumably because her husband is Hawaiian) so I can see why they opted for that. 

12 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Did Rousey have any other really good matches in her first WWE run after the tag with Angle vs Triple H and Stephanie at Mania? I don’t recall watching any of the rest of her stuff there but kept seeing pictures of her in that really shit eye makeup and hearing stories of her being a twat. 

Just saw this;

Po. Presumably the next baby will be called Tinky Winky. 

She got a good match out of Nia Jax and had a banger with Charlotte, I think she was pretty decent overall. Shame she's a right nobhead.

Edited by Merzbow

Enjoyed Reigns/Rollins. Actually, come to think of it, actually enjoyed Rollins more than I ever have. Although he's selling after the choke and the chair beat down seemed a bit half arsed. Finish was fine. It was the opening match, they're telling a long term story with these two (whether deliberately or not) and it leaves them room to go at it again. Execution was a bit shit mind. I enjoyed Roman actually reacting to the "Roman sucks" chants as part of his angry break down and actually thi k that if he'd have seemed more pissed off later when interfering against Brock (as in he's pissed off and just going at anyone he's had issues with) then it'd have made more sense.

Womens Rumble was a bit hard going in places. Bit odd to me that they gave a fair shake to Mickie James but bugger all to Melina but whatever. Doesn't really matter. Also odd that they didn't really do much with Baszler and Ronda but maybe they're thinking of saving it? Ronda probably didn't need to win this, they could have easily just had her show up after Becky's match but whatever. 

I only signed up to the network to see Doudrop in a title match at a big PPV. Disappointed for her as her and Becky clearly tried to work a good match.

Lashley and Brock had the match you knew they were going to have and it was a lot of fun. Kinda seems like they blew the more interesting match for a retread. 

Mixed match was weird. Kinda feels like something they'd do for Mania. Beth looks more of a superstar than 90% of the roster (including, obviously, her husband). 

The men's Rumble was weirdly lacking. The Bunny and the bloke who's name sounds like Boobs stood out. I'd have given the win to the Bunny. Whole thing felt like an afterthought, including the finish. That was the best they could come up with? 

All that said, I thought it was alright. Pat McAfee was pretty good on commentary. The weird bullying of Byron still fucking grates every time I watch. 

Have to say, everything (other than the Rumbles) felt big time about this show. 

23 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I made the mistake of watching some old school Rumble's before this and it highlighted just how non-over everything is now. It's sad but watching the 1990 Rumble, for instance - it had stars galore, the crowd were loud throughout (at points VERY loud) and were into everything the wrestlers did no matter how basic. 
People just do NOT care now - they'll pop for the initial appearance of someone and the occasional spot in a match but nothing the wrestlers do can hold an audience's enthusiasm any more.
It's sad and makes it a real chore instead of a joy to watch.

I found the crowd to be pretty hot all night. In fact I kind of wondered at one point if WWE have built their ideal live audience now. 

The crowds have quietly gotten less contrary at the big shows for awhile now, I think. Certainly down from that 2011 - 2016 or so hijack obsessed run.

Entire sections of floor seats now are just those superfans you always see who wear the same gear, look a bit sickly and seem very much on-brand WWE and happy to go along with the product. 

Don't WWE ticket prices virtually always go up? It might be the case that they've priced out front and centre for anyone except those who are actually proper fans of WWE. 

I tend to see a buzz and enjoyment there these days that's at odds with so much of the general feeling on the product you get online. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Ronda was heavily protected (as she should have been) and almost certainly had the best people in the company help plan out her matches. 

Fair enough but I never really saw her as some sort of super worker. 

For all the shit she gets (some deserved) Nia Jax had actually shown that she's capable of decent to good matches in NXT with the likes of Asuka and Bayley (same with Eva Marie when she went after the NXT woman's title) which highlights how well WWE can actually use talent when they can be bothered. 

Just give someone a capable opponent and build the match around their strengths. 

Completely forgot this was on last night! Doesn't look like I missed much.

I'm never gonna diss Ronda's run as a wrester. She was tremendous through most of her run. Delivered in every match and elevated the division to a point they've not touched since. (Tbf, WWE stopped caring as soon as she left).

Saying that, I'm convinced Ronda is avoiding the Becky match because she's still gotten to after the fan reaction from last time. It's funny, Becky vs Ronda was the one match WWE had left in their locker that I had any excitement about. Not anymore. This ludicrous, nonsensical, 'heel' Becky Lynch character has killed dead whatever interest I still had in this product. Only WWE would take their most naturally over babyface and turn them into a legitimate crowd killer. Just the thought of Becky doing more forced and detached "You People" promos - to a mixture of confused silence, frustration and apathy, all in desperate attempt to paint Ronda Rousey as the babyface - sounds completely insufferable. Ronda vs Charlotte is just "meh" in comparison.

I see Sasha went from potential winner and Mania headliner to being dumped like filler. I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say she'll be in AEW by the end of the year.

9 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

The Sonya Deville targeting black people plot line was the wet dream of GB News. 

Holy shit. So is the "Sonya might be a bit racist" thing being made cannon now?

It's a shame they didn't give Pat Mcafee a run in the Rumble. The dead men's division really seems like it needs an injection from somewhere.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

31 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Did Rousey have any other really good matches in her first WWE run after the tag with Angle vs Triple H and Stephanie at Mania?

Honestly, most of her run was quite good. She had a solid match with Charlotte at Survivor Series, a couple of decent ones with Alexa Bliss, and a match with Sasha Banks at the Royal Rumble that was enjoyable. Hit was soured by the ending to the Mania main event, but overall her in-ring contests worked very well.

24 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Last time I saw Asuka she was doing some fucking weird gimmick where she dances like a crab?!

By Asuka I mean serious ass kicker with a slight goofy edge Asuka and not god I hope no one walks in as I'm watching this Asuka.

Last I saw of Asuka she was basically doing Kairi's goofy gimmick but turned up to 11 and without any of Kairi's natural charm.

53 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

It's a shame they didn't give Pat Mcafee a run in the Rumble. The dead men's division really seems like it needs an injection from somewhere.

They need an injection of not treating 80% of the division like they don't matter. Until they do that, nothing will change. Especially big matches like the Rumble that absolutely highlight the lack of star power. Not the lack of talent or anything but the way so many of them are beaten down to a point where no one gives a flying fuck about them regardless of how good they may be.

• Paid Members

Ronda’s first run was stellar. Gave Charlotte and Nia the best matches of their careers. Her weird promo delivery made her the most interesting, authentic character in the company, too. The wheels only came off when the crowd starting turning on her, which she clearly can’t handle, and then she fell down the Russo shoot rabbit hole. That she already seems to be sulking and going though the motions doesn’t bode well though. Saying she had months to prepare and it was her dream to come back and win the Rumble? Why didn’t she buy some proper gear, then? And why did she look so fucking miserable?