WWE Royal Rumble 2022

Perry

• Paid Members

I think Lashley is taking the title and Brock enters and wins the Rumble to continue the inevitable road to a Groundhog Day Mania Main Event against Roman Reigns. Everything else is meh. 

20 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Ridiculous amount of rumours of who will be in both Rumbles this year, plus the other matches on the card have me at least a little bit interested.

Fuck it, we all love a Royal Rumble.

Don’t get me wrong, the Rumble is when I start to pay attention again in the hope that they’ll actually start putting the effort in for the build to Wrestlemania.

WWE Championship Match:
Brock Lesnar vs. Bobby Lashley

WWE Universal Championship Match:
Roman Reigns vs. Seth “Freakin” Rollins
(The Usos are banned from ringside)

Who are the faces and who are the heels in these two ? Its been so long since I watched WWE I kind of thought all four were heels atm.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Who are the faces and who are the heels in these two ? Its been so long since I watched WWE I kind of thought all four were heels atm.

Rollins & Reigns are both heels, but Reigns has been getting the more positive reactions cos Rollins is such an annoying prick. I genuinely don't know why they have been programmed together, particularly as Rollins is on Raw.

Lesnar is very much a babyface at the moment (and seemingly having the time of his life doing it) and Lashley is heel, although for some reason he started slapping hands with the fans on the way to the ring for the weigh-in segment on Raw this week.

Becky Lynch vs Doudrop is also a heel vs heel match.

2 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Brock has pretty much been face since returning at Summerslam, Rollins/Reigns is heel v heel but Seth has been a kinda punchable face goading Reigns into costing himself having the Usos around and getting in his head with the Shield stuff

In addition to the main story about a return in the Women's match, 4 other potential returns have been leaked and only one is in any way interesting

Spoiler

Melina (making for a second NWA talent after Mickie), Cameron (the other Funkadactyl), Aksana and Kaitlyn

I would imagine if those 5 names are true then the last two spots, if not for a big return, may go to 2 NXT women, likely Dakota and either Mandy Rose or Raquel

Likewise the 5 remaining spots in the Men's match may go to either returns or NXT talent, likely LA Knight, Ciampa, Strong with an outside bet on Bron or GUNTHER

Well that has to be not only two of the worst Rumble matches of all time, but one of the worst PPV's WWE has produced. The Women's rumble was terrible with most of the "legends" being thrown out within a minute. They must have really dug deep in the sofa to pull out Cameron. After seeing that I was half expecting Amy Weber. 

After what happened in the WWE title match the finish of the Men's Rumble was as clear as day from the outset. This is the first PPV from WWE I have seen since last year's Rumble and this has put me off WWE for good. 

Bloody hell! That mens Rumble really was something, wasn’t it?

AJ Styles enters at number 1. Then it was just a complete killers row until Orton at 29 and Lesnar at 30.

The only memorable moment was Kofi Kingston almost killing himself and botching his yearly comeback spot.

Edited by neil is brill
Spelling and grammar.

The two men's title matches were decent enough, but yeah the men's rumble was SO boring. And lazy, too. The only real build I saw to the match was Sami Zayn v Johnny Knoxville, and it was thrown away with them both entering next to each other and getting their bit out of the way immediately. Hometown boy Orton did nothing, a singer outsmarted at least two of the most experienced rumble competitors ever, Big E and Owens were made to look like nothing, and yep as said above the result was a total eye-roller.

Maybe the worst thing, though, was the camera work. Again. Missed eliminations and spots, and focusing on anything but the entrance way when another competitor made their way out. Weird.

I quite liked Reigns/Rollins and Lesner/Lashley was ok but could and should have been far better with the talent involved.  Was just your usual from Brock. I thought following a very weak womens Rumble with the womens title match was a daft idea that killed the crowd dead. Doudrop is Viper right? Christ they pretty much tanked her chances with that name. One of the commentators called her "The Doudrop" at one point. She deserves better. 

Mens rumble was a mess for practically the whole thing. Full of tag team guys not over and midcard guys who have been treading water forever. Picked up abit when Drew McIntyre showed up, which woke up the crowd obviously thinking "finally here is some fucker who might actually win".

Overall I found the same problems I had last time I watched WWE. Overlong show, awful commentary and terrible editing. Its kind of sad how bad the womens Rumble was and how dead the crowd were for Becky. They are obviously missing some big names like Bayley and Asuka but they seem to be going backwards regarding the women. I usually watch from here to Mania but unless something huge happens I think popping back for Mania will be enough for me this year. 

• Paid Members

You almost have to respect it. One of their biggest shows of the year, with loads of people dipping their toe in for the first time in ages, and they didn’t even try and convert anyone into watching more regularly or pretending their product was something it’s not. This was distilled WWE in 2022. Wanky, unsatisfying finishes whenever they need to book themselves out of a corner. Boring, predictable, going-nowhere, rinse-and-repeat booking. The same four or five people exclusively getting pushed, and then a roster of complete losers that nobody remotely buys as any type of star or threat. It was downright depressing seeing the crowd stand up and count down from ten over and over again, only to be provided with some loser who’s music got less than zero reaction.

The purest moment of the night was just before Lashley vs. Lesnar, where one of the commentators said, “there aren’t many dream matches left in WWE.” Too fucking right there aren’t! Because you only ever push a handful of people and everyone else is positioned and portrayed as an absolute chump!

Seth Rollins wrestling as a fiery babyface in the Shield gear was the most I’ve enjoyed him in years. They were having a cracking little match, everything was going great, so of course they had to do a shitty, protect-everyone-except-the-paying-audience DQ finish. Real, “oh, fuck off,” energy that they never recovered from all night.

Other than laughing at how much they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for participants after firing so many people, the women’s Rumble match was mostly average. Ronda turning up and winning should have been enough to save it but she looked like shit. Terrible gear, awful strikes, none of the fire that used to make her so great. And then best of all, at a time when they finally have both Becky and Ronda back on the roster, meaning they can finally deliver on that match, it seems they’re going with Ronda vs. Charlotte at Wrestlemania! This fucking company, man. Beyond parody. But then, Becky seemed like the smartest, nicest, most normal person in the world on that Stone Cold podcast afterwards, so maybe she took one look at Ronda going through the motions wearing whatever shit she could find in her gym bag, and decided it wasn’t worth it. I bet being around Ronda after Covid is a nightmare, anyway. You just know she’s got some of the hottest Joe Rogan takes.

Men’s Royal Rumble was even worse. Just a boring chore, with nothing happening, an assembly line of jobbers and everyone waiting for Brock. Shane McMahon in the final three. Jesus Christ. Even the one thing that they shouldn’t have been able to ruin, the Knoxville thing, was over before it started and rushed through in as boring a manner as possible.

So yeah. Crap show. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror after watching for the first time in months and realised nothing has changed. It’s just Roman, Brock and Charlotte until the end of time, innit?

Edited by Supremo