Who Carked it in 2022?

Devon Malcolm

Bob Rafelson, film producer, director and one of the creators of The Monkees, has passed away age 89. 

Haven't seen all the films he made as director, but I really liked both Five Easy Pieces and The King of Marvin Gardens, while The Postman Always Rings Twice was a very enjoyable piece of work. 

11 minutes ago, LSM said:

David Warner who was Sark and Ed Dillinger in Tron has passed away.

So many credits to his name, I used to recognise him so often in the Star Trek films.

He was wonderful, as you say so many great performances. He could do it all. His turn as the torturous Gul Madred in Next Generation was one of the best guest appearances in Star Trek, those scenes with Patrick Stewart were fantastic.

You know The Mandela Effect? For absolutely years I was convinced he was the computer scientist in Wargames. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

His turn as the torturous Gul Madred in Next Generation was one of the best guest appearances in Star Trek, those scenes with Patrick Stewart were fantastic.

Warner was indeed fantastic, and the Trek dork in me holds him in the highest regard because of Chain Of Command.

A different breed of shut in will also remember him as the evil bodyswap scientist who uses his skills to bonk Pam Anderson in mid 90s wristache flick Naked Souls.

• Paid Members

He was in so much stuff, genuinely feels like an end of an era to me. Chancellor Gorkon in ST6, Gul Madred, the photographer (I forget his name) in The Omen, Sarc/Dillinger in Tron, fairly sure he played a Romulan commander at some point, Aldous Gaijic in Babylon 5, Evil in Time Bandits as well.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

He was in so much stuff, genuinely feels like an end of an era to me. Chancellor Gorkon in ST6, Gul Madred, the photographer (I forget his name) in The Omen, Sarc/Dillinger in Tron, fairly sure he played a Romulan commander at some point, Aldous Gaijic in Babylon 5, Evil in Time Bandits as well.

I was a massive fan of Tron as a kid, so Warner always used to scare me when I would see him pop up in things, but what a great actor. He was supposed to return in Tron 3 after his son was portrayed in the sequel, but it got canned at the last minute. Great legacy of work.

51 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I think I've started counting celebrity deaths by them being in Twin Peaks or not, this was another one. Wasn't he also a Klingon once?

He was indeed!  I think his whole tone set up the Cardassians for DS9, more calculated and cruel. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I think I've started counting celebrity deaths by them being in Twin Peaks or not, this was another one. Wasn't he also a Klingon once?

Yup, Chancellor Gorkon in The Undiscovered Country. Underrated little film for guest stars.

I'd forgotten he was in Twin Peaks too! Not because he wasn't good, but there were just so many great characters in it - great as he was, I think he got slightly "drowned out" by all the others. But he was really quite sinister and scary in that.

It's an odd one - he tends to be known for more villainous, patrician characters, but he's had a fair few good guy roles too. 

Paul Sorvino has passed away age 83.

Obviously best known for his role in Goodfella, but he had a long and impressive career as a character actor where he seemed to pop up in all sorts of stuff. 

Edited by SaitoRyo
Fugeddaboutit

7 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Paul Sorvino has passed away age 83.

Obviously best known for his role in The Sopranos, but he had a long and impressive career as a character actor where he seemed to pop up in all sorts of stuff. 

Assume you mean Goodfellas?

As documented when Liotta died, it's one of my favourite films, and I always love that when Paulie tells Henry that "now I have to turn my back on you" that it's such a powerful moment, that you feel like you've personally let him down, and he's talking to you.

Wonderful stuff.

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Assume you mean Goodfellas?

As documented when Liotta died, it's one of my favourite films, and I always love that when Paulie tells Henry that "now I have to turn my back on you" that it's such a powerful moment, that you feel like you've personally let him down, and he's talking to you.

Wonderful stuff.

You assume correct. I'll go edit that out now. I had Sorvino, Ray Liotta, Tony Sirico and James Caan swimming around in my head and got my wires crossed. 

Bad time to be a made man.