Who Carked it in 2022?

Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Met her a number of times. Couldn't asked for a sweeter and more generous lady. Always so welcoming and enthusiastic and made you feel like the first and only person that had been in her company. Even after so many years she was so damn proud of what she had done and her legacy.

Agreed. I had the pleasure of meeting her at a couple of comic cons and she was such a lovely lady.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Chili said:

Olivia Newton John has died age 73 at her home. No news how yet, assume illness related. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kwqc.com/2022/08/08/actor-singer-olivia-newton-john-dies-age-73/%3foutputType=amp

Grease is my wife’s favourite film (though she hates musicals!). She didn’t take the news well. Such an iconic performance. Plus she gave us Physical and Xanadu. Such a shame.

I maintained for years, quite aggressively, that what made The Snowman so great and the sequel so shit was the delicious ambiguity over whether it had all been a dream.

Then I saw it again and realised he still had the scarf. Betrayal.

43 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I maintained for years, quite aggressively, that what made The Snowman so great and the sequel so shit was the delicious ambiguity over whether it had all been a dream.

Then I saw it again and realised he still had the scarf. Betrayal.

And that young boy grew up to be David Bowie. 

• Paid Members

Raymond Briggs is an absolute hero. The Snowman is so ubiquitous that it's easy to forget what a genuinely beautiful piece of work it is. Then there's When The Wind Blows, which is just phenomenal.

Gene LeBell has died, too. An absolute icon of combat sports and stunt work.

Gene Lebell died yesterday, aged 89.  You’re all wrestling fans so you’ll know who he is.

It’s an incredible career, from all his Hollywood work (appearing with Elvis) to reffing the Ali-Inoki match, to choking out Steven Seagal.  And he ran an NWA territory for years.

In my imperfect understanding of MMA history I always think of Lebell as one of the key catalysts along with guys like Billy Robinson.  Lebell helped bring Japanese martial arts to the US and that’s a crucial element in the creation of MMA.

Anyway, Danielson still does the Lebell lock s tribute iirc.

RIP Judo Gene.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Loki said:

In my imperfect understanding of MMA history I always think of Lebell as one of the key catalysts along with guys like Billy Robinson.  Lebell helped bring Japanese martial arts to the US and that’s a crucial element in the creation of MMA.

He was trained by Ed "Strangler" Lewis and was in Ronda Rousey's corner in the UFC. That's a career that spans pretty much the entire breadth of modern wrestling history, and a fair chunk of 20th and 21st century western combat sports. An incredible life.

The reason Roddy Piper was happy to allow Ronda to use the name "Rowdy" was because he discovered that they had both been trained by Gene.