AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

@Supremoyou absolutely nailed why the segment worked for me and why I was so high on it. On rewatching as well it’s the little bits and layers. I missed Jericho not wanting to do the VO until he heard how much he was getting paid. I loved the call back to Smart Mark getting the beatdown from MJF’s opponent. The fact they are rehashing the whipping angle but with a rival even more suited due to the long slow burn and the fact Wardlow turned on MJF. Oh and my favourite little throw away moment, the “re-enactment” during Dark Side of the Ring. Sure, the 2024 reference was on the nose to smart fans, but I enjoyed it.

That segment wouldn’t have worked as well in another town, and it’s another thing for the Positive TK Thread that he always manages to make the home town talent shine on those home town shows. The fact Wardlow was booed despite being red hot every week couldn’t have happened in another value and also shows why fans invested in the product. Wrestling. When it’s good it’s great. 

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

he always manages to make the home town talent shine on those home town shows. 

So we can all expect Sammy to regain the TNT title next week in Houston then. And then lose it back to Scorpio in a couple of weeks in LA. 

As much as that was meant to be tongue in cheek, the way they've been tossing the TNT belt between those two in recent weeks I wouldn't be surprised if it actually did turn out that way.

Shida’s not particularly happy after being announced as injured for the Owen Hart tournament: https://www.cagesideseats.com/platform/amp/aew/2022/5/13/23072133/hikaru-shida-aew-owen-hart-tournament

This has happened a few times now with AEW - a decision is made about a wrestler or manager, and no one bothers to tell them. Regardless, I hope this isn’t the last we see of Shida in AEW, she’s one of their more entertaining female wrestlers. 

Don't blame her for being pissed off. 

Been reading ramblings on reddit (take them with a pinch of salt, naturally) that Stardom are more open to working with AEW in the future but Shida for unknown reasons has shown no interest in working Stardom shows.

One theory is loyalty to certain wrestlers/promotions. 

Edit. 

SRS now saying that people in AEW are under the impression that Shida knew she wouldn't be in the tournament. 

Fuck knows what's going on. Maybe an awkward work. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

Yeah, it was teased on Wednesday, filmed on Wednesday so Shida has been getting tagged online for days she was replaced. She also happened to be active on twitter to do a live reaction to the announcement. Which is detailed in the above posts.

Not to mention in the real world she would be co-ordinating travel for Houston/Las Vegas and known what her bookings would have been.

Comedy wrestling segments work best when the straightest, most serious member of the roster is involved and it doesn’t overstay its welcome. Looks like they’ve got HOOKhausen absolutely on the money. Imagine being at a taping! A crowd actually loving what’s going on and watching it instead of trying to make it about them. 

3 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I don't get why the Hook character would want to shake hands with a guy immediately after they got embarrassed and their arse handed to them. 

You have to try pretty hard to make someone like Hook uncool. And my God they're trying!

He fought his own battle but got ambushed. Hook wants to fuck up Nese not Danhausen, but they've stumbled onto a fun double act with Hookhausen. It's not gonna be a full time thing for that long either. 

Hook isn't losing anything from this and people getting all 'wah wah' about it it's wonderful. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I don't get why the Hook character would want to shake hands with a guy immediately after they got embarrassed and their arse handed to them.

Easy. Hook’s character is that he’s cool. And all of us cool guys love us some Danhausen.

• Paid Members

The whole thing is fantastic. The biggest surprise perhaps is that I expected them drag it out slightly longer, perhaps up to Double or Nothing. but it certainly doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment by doing it now. 

I'm thoroughly enjoying the whole thing. It's like a modern Rock/Sock Connection in the making. 

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Easy. Hook’s character is that he’s cool. And all of us cool guys love us some Danhausen.

I hated Danhausen when he debuted, I didn’t get it at all. This storyline with Hook (and his post-show segment with William Regal) has totally changed my opinion. The only thing I dislike about it, is the fact their match is a pre-show thing. Like Hook/QT Marshall at the last PPV, it’s strong enough to merit a place on the main card. I’d never have expected to be invested in a match involving Tony Nese!

13 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

You have to try pretty hard to make someone like Hook uncool. And my God they're trying!

I’m not with you on this one at all. Danhausen to Hook is like Dark Order to Hangman Page. Danhausen is a well-meaning oddball who just wanted to be Hook’s pal. And then he got targeted by a bully. Hook was popular, but he was never fully established as a good person - he just kind of transitioned quietly away from Team Taz. This does that. Also, ignoring Danhausen’s plight would just make Hook look like a selfish asshole, I don’t think it would help his ‘cool’ factor at all.