AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Just now, Factotum said:

Yeah Punk as Champ going into their PPVs and TV negotiations would be sensible. Punk probably gets you a lot more mainstream attention on TV shows etc as well

They could also use losing to ex WWE superstar Punk as a way to take Page in a new direction.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Yeah Punk as Champ going into their PPVs and TV negotiations would be sensible. Punk probably gets you a lot more mainstream attention on TV shows etc as well

Eh, I reckon better to keep that in the chamber. If Punk is champion, you're going in with the biggest name possible on top, so that would suggest whatever the ratings are are the peak. Whereas if he isn't, you get to promose better days ahead.

CM Punk should be their champion as he’s arguably the best wrestler in the world and, inarguably, the best storyteller in wrestling currently.

He’s also not getting any younger and isn’t going to be around forever.

He’s their biggest star right now, just pull the trigger and build big meaningful stories around him.

Put the big boy pants on. It’s time.

They have their version of a prime Rock or Austin. They’re never going to have a bigger star at a better point in their career. Just do it.

**before people get distracted by that last point, I’m not saying he’s as big as Rock or Austin - I’m saying he’s AEW’s version of that, in that it likely won’t get bigger for them.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

There's no 'wrong' choice for champion between the two.

The logic behind putting the belt on Punk makes total sense, but he doesn't need it to be a huge star, nor does it detract from the product if he doesn't have it. With Page, he's been presented very well as champion thus far - him retaining at Double or Nothing wouldn't reduce Punk's aura or damage Punk's standing. 

I still expect Punk to win, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't. This, to me, is what makes the match quite intriguing - there's no 'wrong' winner. Even if Page wins and it boils the piss of Punk diehards, I have much more faith in AEW as a company to produce compelling content in the aftermath to win people over again compared to their WWE counterparts. 

With regards to TV deals - AEW don't need to present Punk as their champion to win over any executives. Having him at all is a feather in their cap. Executives are more concerned about other matters relating to ratings, budgets, merchandising opportunities and filling hours of content, social media engagement and generating advertising revenue rather than who has the strap. 

It’s just good to have compelling arguments for champ and challenger and the winner not be a forgone conclusion  

If anyone should be winning the title from Punk it should be Eddie Kingston.

That short feud was amazing and Kingston beating a heel Punk on PPV would be great, I’d have it be a short title run though maybe even dropping it on the next Dynamite. 

7 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Kingston is great but I don't see him ever winning the world title.

Maybe a short TNT reign.

As a short, short term he did it thing I'd say he is a great option. If I was booking things my road would be Punk cheating to take the belt of Page do some faces can challenge for the title over the next 6 months while Eddie finished up with Jericho and Punk occasionally references him as he has been. By Full Gear you have Eddie/Punk built up where he takes the belt and then by end of year it's slipped onto MJF.

9 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

CM Punk should be their champion as he’s arguably the best wrestler in the world and, inarguably, the best storyteller in wrestling currently.

He’s also not getting any younger and isn’t going to be around forever.

He’s their biggest star right now, just pull the trigger and build big meaningful stories around him.

Put the big boy pants on. It’s time.

They have their version of a prime Rock or Austin. They’re never going to have a bigger star at a better point in their career. Just do it.

**before people get distracted by that last point, I’m not saying he’s as big as Rock or Austin - I’m saying he’s AEW’s version of that, in that it likely won’t get bigger for them.

I'm not sure execs care that much about Punk, he draws with hardcore fans but I reckon the execs would be more impressed with the younger, blonder and less tattooed Page. I'm convinced they would like to see up and coming acts who look great like Page, Wardlow, Jade Cargill that look like action figures than big names form the past few years who they probably don't know anyway

That last part is utter insanity.

They’ll care about numbers and earned media. If they cared who’d have the best action figure, Brian Cage would be champion.

Having worked in sports marketing my entire career, I can say - with some element of sadness - it’s way more quantitative and prosaic than people wish it was. It’s social following, sales (tickets, merchandise etc), social buzz, online views. The execs won’t want up and comers, they’ll want immediate success.

If the AEW roster was on a ship right now and they needed to lose either CM Punk or Page  else they were going to sink, Khan and his mates at TNT would push Page off without so much as a goodbye.

But that’s only true right now, it may not be true in a year or two. That’s why I think they’d be mad not to give him the title. No matter how hard they push, Page is never going to be as big a star as Punk is right now.

But, Punk as champion could elevate others to Page level or maybe even beyond. And that’s why I think it’s a good idea - not because he’s a Hogan type who will try and carry the company alone and not share the rub, I think a Punk championship reign would be a huge deal, generate a lot of coverage and he might just be able to help a bunch of people along the way.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, simonworden said:

I'm convinced they would like to see up and coming acts who look great like Page, Wardlow, Jade Cargill that look like action figures than big names form the past few years who they probably don't know anyway

That's part of the overall AEW package, sure, but none of those guys are worth the eyeballs and dollars Punk is right now as champion.

Punk does feel like as good a time as any for Hangman to lose the belt. That he has already started stories with some guys only helps that. You've also got to imagine that maximising the money that he'll cost would be making him the main man in the company.

Also, I’ve maybe not put this across well, I’m not saying Punk being champion is solely because he’s great and I wish it was 2012 again.

I just think they’ve got lightning in a bottle right now, and they could ride his star power to elevate the company and some individuals within.

• Paid Members

Even if you ignore that CM Punk is their biggest star, in the best form of his life, the crux for me is that Hangman will be infinitely more interesting dealing with a big loss than he currently is as Champion. He’s the epitome of the magic being in the chase.