AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

This is actually how I feel about the BCC, to be honest. I enjoy Regal's jolly violent gentleman shtick on comms, but the angle reminds me too much of the toxic-masculine bullshit I've seen pushed by old cranky washed-up vets who can't accept that wrestling is a world of panto and athletic skill, which clashes with their fragile self-image of being real, hard, working MEN. This usually translates to giving kids nothing but stiff bombs and throws in holiday camp matches to 'smarten them up', and laughing as nervous trainees stand toe-to-toe legitimately battering each other with forearms on the promise that this will help them. I'm sure this isn't the angle they're coming from, but when the slo-mo VT is of three grown men standing in the corner of Total Fitness weights area beating up one skinny kid, it doesn't sit well with me. I can't get behind them if I think they're bullies.

See, for me, this is exactly what the gimmick is and it's why I like it so much. All three make absolutely clear that they're sadists and they like violence. That, realistically, comes in with a whole heap of fragility too.  Wheeler has asked to become like them, and this is how they do it. As a gimmick, it's spectacular - it absolutely takes all of those points from reality in wrestling, and has turned them into very believable characters. (And in reality, you just need to look at how all three of them played into Danhausen's schtick to see how confident in their personas they are).

Actually, for those who have had difficulty 'getting' Minoru Suzuki, there's a lot of his approach in the BCC so far. And the BCC is, possibly, a perfect tweener stable - they're all fiery ass-kickers with a sense of honour, who you can absolutely get behind when they go up against a cheating heel because they love pro-wrestling so much, but also sadistic bullies who you can cheer an underdog against.

If there hadn’t been a Rampage taping happening afterwards, I imagine most people would’ve left prior to Martinez v Purrazzo. Absolute crickets throughout the whole thing, no-one gave a shit and they couldn’t have got off-air quick enough once it finished.

As is often the case, the first half of the show seemed much better than the second. Hardy v Fish could’ve gone either way and BCC continue to be very enjoyable.

Hangman’s promo was great, Jericho v Santana was good, and they’ve finally done something to move along the House of Black.

Ruby Soho looking like she’s playing wrestler despite doing it for 11 years and doing Toni Storm’s talking for her was cringey, and time seemed to slow down during Deeb and Rosa’s segment

• Paid Members

Nowhere near enough chat in this thread about them hitting yet another home run with Wardlow. Fucking moonsaults, followed by Powerbombing a seven foot giant! He's the next big thing. That bit at the end where he was smashing up about a hundred security guards, with the crowd getting louder and louder each time, was incredible. Watching back, it's even better because you can hear Jim Ross get caught up in it and very nearly call him a bad motherfucker.

"He's big, he's athletic, and he's a bad, bad motherf-...well, you know."

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

Nowhere near enough chat in this thread about them hitting yet another home run with Wardlow. Fucking moonsaults, followed by Powerbombing a seven foot giant! He's the next big thing. That bit at the end where he was smashing up about a hundred security guards, with the crowd getting louder and louder each time, was incredible. Watching back, it's even better because you can hear Jim Ross get caught up in it and very nearly call him a bad motherfucker.

"He's big, he's athletic, and he's a bad, bad motherf-...well, you know."

Yeah, another cracking outing, even liked the post match angle. I was glad to see Big W looking to be in great shape. Still looks like someone stretched Edge from the mid 00's with him, but he can't help that. Thought he did well in the match and would happily see him back in the future (is he only an Impact exclusive deal so more Forbidden door action, or is he free to work elsewhere?). I also enjoyed the MJF closer and am looking forward to a contract signing segment, which is a rareity.

JAS V LAX 2022 has got to be heading for another stadium match surely? If so, who will be the other 2, because I thought maybe Sting and Darby but they are two busy cutting awful promos on Jeff and watching other factions.

• Paid Members

Just looking at the Owen Cup bracket, have they booked themselves into a corner a little with the joker going up against Joe in the first round? They have set a bit of a precedent for the joker to be a debuting wrestler or returner, I would have thought having Joe lose in the first round wouldn't have been the best idea, nor a returning / debuting wrestler to lose their first match. It would also be a bit of a dampener if the joker was to lose through shenanigans with Jay Lethal and crew.  

Hopefully its Miro rather than another debut which they don't need right now. 

• Paid Members

Not specific to this week's show, as he's been knocking around for a while, but have they ever explained who the masked cameraman is? Or is it just something that's been going on for ages and that isn't anything to really pay attention to? I only ask as I saw someone on Twitter theorising that it's Cesaro under the mask, and I wondered if I missed something? 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Just looking at the Owen Cup bracket, have they booked themselves into a corner a little with the joker going up against Joe in the first round? They have set a bit of a precedent for the joker to be a debuting wrestler or returner, I would have thought having Joe lose in the first round wouldn't have been the best idea, nor a returning / debuting wrestler to lose their first match. It would also be a bit of a dampener if the joker was to lose through shenanigans with Jay Lethal and crew.  

Hopefully its Miro rather than another debut which they don't need right now. 

Based on social media comments, Cesaro, Miro or Gargano are the favorites. I can't think of any other free agents which would fit in the cup myself, and kind of hope it is just a Miro return. I am also gutted Fenix and Dante already faced each other, I'd have liked to have seen them face off later in the tournament. 

31 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Not specific to this week's show, as he's been knocking around for a while, but have they ever explained who the masked cameraman is? Or is it just something that's been going on for ages and that isn't anything to really pay attention to? I only ask as I saw someone on Twitter theorising that it's Cesaro under the mask, and I wondered if I missed something? 

He just never stopped being masked at ringside, iv seen him on a blog im sure. 

They might use it, but he’s just a bald guy with a camera who knows wrestling fans ain’t the cleanest I think haha 

56 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I saw someone say he's just a cameraman that got hit in the face with something on a previous Dynamite and since then has been masked up. Trouble is, this being pro-wrestling, I see a masked cameraman, I assume it's a wrestler about to surprise somebody, Steve Austin mending the cage style.

Wardlow looked like a megastar, The crowd were nuclear for him by the time he powerbombed that pretend security fella.

Hangman promo was great, too. Turner Standards & Practices have obviously chilled over the years - MJF calling himself a piece of shit, Hangman using the word masturbatory etc,

• Paid Members

That Wardlow seg was FUCKING AWESOME. Him killing dudes faster than you can blink was incredible. 

Not much interest in any of the other angles or stories on this fairly weak show. BCC are great but give them a proper feud now please. I don't like by loveable handsome cowboy leaning into heel stuff and making smarky shoot comments. The House of Black stuff is not only rubbish and shit but made me feel quite uncomfortable. The lineup of the Owen Cup is good so far but my concern about that twat Johnny Gargona possibly showing up is killing any real interest. Hopefully it's going to be Miro. 

Overall, feels like the booking is full of cracks the past few weeks. Too much filler, dead ends and dragging out. 

• Paid Members

Gargano coming in would be a step too far in the NXT direction for me. It's already feeling boarderline with the Undisputed Era lot, Regal, Keith Lee etc, but Gargano just feels like the ultimate black and gold NXT wrestler.