AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

• Paid Members

Some weird overreactions going on to this whole thing. They've just lost their main-eventer and biggest draw just as they're starting the build for multiple big shows. Adding a few big matches in a mini-tournament isn't a massively complicated idea. Mox has been in the top mix and top rankings for ages - it's not like him being #1 contender is a stretch (and can be easily justified).

Sure, they could crown an interim champ ASAP, or they could have a reason for a series of main event/major matches over a string of shows. Acting like this is the equivalent of the reverse battle royal is nonsense.

• Paid Members

Surely Hangman Vs Mox would make the most sense, given Hangman has just lost the belt and Mox has been gifted 1st rank? The problem they have, is that they can't really afford to have Mox, Hangman or Wardlow lose right now so I can understand the Battle Royal aspect to get someone into the match to do the job. 

I can see both sides of the coin in all honesty, and I think if the explanation was a little clearer (Jericho confusing the shit out of things), no one would really bat much of an eyelid. 

I don't know of Tanahashi's work, would Mox be a good fit? Or is there someone else who would be better suited?

1 hour ago, Pinc said:

Kingston, MJF, Hangman, Omega all open up more story possibilities than Moxley.

New Japan aren’t having Kingston beat Tanahashi,  Omega is injured, MJF isn’t currently on the roster and Hangman has been champion for nearly a year so I don’t know how he opens up more possible stories…

19 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

New Japan aren’t having Kingston beat Tanahashi,  Omega is injured, MJF isn’t currently on the roster and Hangman has been champion for nearly a year so I don’t know how he opens up more possible stories…

Kingston, MJF and Hangman all had recent feuds with the absent champion. Omega's out sure, but if he's physically able his return and NJ history would instantly be compelling. MJF is on the roster. He's just working a storyline.

Moxley's fine but he has no storyline tension with Punk. He even helped him out as a tag partner a while ago. He's the safest, blandest option as things stand.

Is there a reason people seem to be writing off the idea of Tanahashi winning the belt if Punk's only going to be out for a relatively short time?  It would be pretty easy to have Tanahashi win the belt and then lose the match to Punk when he's back, given I was assuming he'd have been losing to Punk at Forbidden Door anyway.  That's coming from someone with zero knowledge of New Japan or Tanahashi though, so could be there are good reasons why that wouldn't work?  It just feels like the cleanest option if you're just looking for someone to be a placeholder for a few months, if that's really all Punk's expected to be out. 

13 minutes ago, CTXRussomark said:

Is there a reason people seem to be writing off the idea of Tanahashi winning the belt if Punk's only going to be out for a relatively short time?  It would be pretty easy to have Tanahashi win the belt and then lose the match to Punk when he's back, given I was assuming he'd have been losing to Punk at Forbidden Door anyway.  That's coming from someone with zero knowledge of New Japan or Tanahashi though, so could be there are good reasons why that wouldn't work?  It just feels like the cleanest option if you're just looking for someone to be a placeholder for a few months, if that's really all Punk's expected to be out. 

You’ve sort of answered your own question. It does seem as though Punk is only going to be out short term, but even then they haven’t said how long that’s going to be. Even if he’s back by Full Gear, that’s still 4 months away, and I can’t see New Japan giving Tanahashi away for that long, and there’s no way his knees will last if he tried working for both.
Tanahashi is a big name, but it’s a name that appeals to the hardcores, not the casuals (if there even is such a thing anymore)

Plus I would imagine that New Japan would want Tanahashi around for the G1, which starts July 16th and runs to August 18th. AEW would be mental to have their (interim) World Champion disappear for a month, and there’s no way the TNT belt is carrying the show with the way that’s been handled this year

Edited by WyattSheepMask

8 minutes ago, CTXRussomark said:

That's actually my prediction or one of them right now, depends how long Punk is out. Seems to be less suspected by many and Tony is right on the marching powder enough right now for it to happen. 

If Punk is back in 2 or 3 months then having Tanahashi lose to punk later seems a decent enough option.

It's a shame we just sat through that wank Owen Hart mess as a tournament split between New Japan and AEW leading to forbidden door would have been intriguing, have the semis and finals where they mix up the rosters on the ppv/leading to it.

Or perhaps go mental and have Hangman take the IWGP title off Okada while Tanahashi is the interim AEW champ and then make them "swap". The reactions online alone would be worth how damaging it would be .

I know it’s not the most interesting part of Rampage this week, but I’ve watched the Bucks/Penta + Fenix match twice now and it really was tremendous fun.

I know Cornette wants me to hate The Bucks but I always find them tremendous fun. I just smile throughout their matches.

The only really weird spot in this match was Nick Jackson dropkicking Fenix out of the doomsday position and it somehow made Fenix reverse hurricanrana Penta. But it’s fine. I like that these guys are out there taking chances.

Hobbs/Stark match on the other hand was a mess. The commentators wanted to run a VT, but they rushed the start of the match and so then when it eventually ran it completely ruined the match. Plus, they utterly flubbed the Bray/Roman finish.