AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

On 6/15/2022 at 6:46 PM, Merzbow said:

It's Aja Kong's move, innit. Just saw it used in real life to knock someone out, too.

spacer.png

The difference being that Aja’s looked like it actually hurts. Love Kingston but his Uraken is limp AF.

I don’t care how “legit” a move is but if it looks like shit then get rid. If Jericho can make his spinning elbow look great then really Eddie has no excuse.

What is wrong with Kyle O’Reilly?

Occasionally, when he inexplicably gets a big singles match he’ll do his serious act - but on countless other occasions he just seems to take the piss.

He seems to pick odd moments for his comedy selling, like when he thinks an angle is beneath him or something.

Someone should probably tell him that there is literally nothing beneath him in AEW.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

What is wrong with Kyle O’Reilly?

I think he might be my least favourite wrestling character right now. He’s very talented in ring, but everything else about his act at the moment, is abysmal.     Even if he were to be used as a lower card heel and nothing more than that, he’d still be impossible to enjoy.

7 hours ago, Supremo said:

I take back eveything I said about this year's Double or Nothing being the least exciting PPV in AEW history. Forbidden Door has it beaten by miles and has given me a whole new appreciation for Double or Nothing! Excalibur going through Forbidden Door's card was embarassing. Whole show looks rubbish. Crap matches, with crap build. Not a dream match in sight! Considering what a hot ticket this show was when it was first announced, I'd be bitterly disappointed if I was going live.

They need a miracle this coming Wednesday to make this show worth watching.

The entire company has yellow fever, if you’ll forgive the old joke.  Everyone from Tony Khan down to wrestlers like Moxley or Eddie treat Japanese wrestling as if it’s the most important thing in the world.

The problem is twofold - one, Japanese wrestlers outside Japan are generally boring as fuck, and two that their increasingly mainstream audience don’t care as much.  When the company started the audiences were generally the sort of smarks who watched FMW on vhs - people like us.  But they’re attracting WWE fans now (deliberately by hiring WWE stars) and they’re less impressed by the continuous stream of old Japanese men bleeding in the ring.

Forbidden Door is the climax of this.  

AEW needs to have some faith in itself, its brand and its stars.  Moxley going out on their tv show and claiming that Tanahashi is the wrestler he most  wants to wrestle.. who the fuck is Tanahashi?  It’s not like it’s Hogan, most of the tv audience won’t know who this person is.

Moxley should be itching to fight Wardlow or Malaki Black… you know, actual AEW stars that shift merch.

I hope they get all this out of their system soon.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Highlight of this episode was PAC calling Malakai a "strange gangly creep". Shouldn't have worked, but say it in that Gateshead accent... tremendous.

Just came here to post this! I laughed out loud for about a minute. Brilliant stuff.

• Paid Members

I'd never heard of Ospreay before this week and I've never seen any of his stuff. I also have no idea what he's been accused of outside of the ring. All of that aside, I think he's been brilliant since showing up in AEW. The three man tag on Rampage last week was great fun and setup a brilliant match on a Dynamite with Dax.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Chunk said:

I'd never heard of Ospreay before this week and I've never seen any of his stuff. I also have no idea what he's been accused of outside of the ring. All of that aside, I think he's been brilliant since showing up in AEW. The three man tag on Rampage last week was great fun and setup a brilliant match on a Dynamite with Dax.

Ospreay’s brilliance starts when the bell rings and ends when it rings again. Just a stupid human unfortunately.

• Paid Members

It’s very on brand for Will Ospreay to be bragging on Twitter that his match on Wednesday proves he’s the best in the world, ignoring the fact he was in there with Dax Harwood, who’s pretty much the king of the TV match in 2022.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

It’s very on brand for Will Ospreay to be bragging on Twitter that his match on Wednesday proves he’s the best in the world, ignoring the fact he was in there with Dax Harwood, who’s pretty much the king of the TV match in 2022.

Aye, it was a great carry job from Dax. Taking one of these 'good in Japan' lot and making him look up to snuff. 

• Paid Members
On 6/18/2022 at 4:09 AM, Supremo said:

I take back eveything I said about this year's Double or Nothing being the least exciting PPV in AEW history. Forbidden Door has it beaten by miles and has given me a whole new appreciation for Double or Nothing! Excalibur going through Forbidden Door's card was embarassing. Whole show looks rubbish. Crap matches, with crap build. Not a dream match in sight! Considering what a hot ticket this show was when it was first announced, I'd be bitterly disappointed if I was going live.

They need a miracle this coming Wednesday to make this show worth watching.

I'm sure the matches will deliver but, yep, I agree. The build has been horrendous. It's just been one random New Japan guy turning up after another. There's no real conflict and it doesn't feel like any of the matches matter. Largely because we know that none of the NJPW guys are going to be sticking around long term,

I hope this is the first last show because it feels like it's dragged the whole company down. What message does it send that Hangman and Cole are begging for an IWGP Title shot, but couldn't be arsed to even try and win the interim AEW Title? Even worse, Jay White shrugged them both off and said he's going to pick his own opponent, which is fucking shit in itself.

It's all very WCW Invasion to me. I just want it all over with.

8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

So Brian Cage is back?

Seems perfect for a ROH reboot to be fair, I'm just hoping we get a bigger distinction between the two companies and less crossover soon.

The video package for Tully Blanchard Enterprises straight into the Gresham/Moriarty/Tully segment has me worried that a standalone Ring of Honor isn't coming anytime soon. The whole thing felt like ROHTV. Unlike the more common feeling of here's some AEW stars with some extra titles.

There was talk of doing Death Before Dishonor on July 23rd. I don't know if these segments are seeping into AEW to set up the PPV.

What's going on with Justin Roberts? It's been Dasha for a couple of weeks now, hasn't it? Has he been caught DMing people he shouldn't be again?

And, yeah, could do without AEW TV turning into ROH TV halfway through a show. Also: Gresham is tiny.

Edited by 69MeDon