Survivor Series 2021

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Paid Members

Just to add one very small positive from this show, rare as they may be, I thought the Xia Li video they showed was actually pretty cool. It was nice to see WWE actually attempt something a bit different. It may have been the only fresh thing on the whole show. 

3 hours ago, Nick James said:

The fact that people still watch this shit and post how shit it is every week baffles me more than the booking decisions. Its been shit for a few years now so its not even like there is a bit of hope to cling to. WWE are laughing, record profits, worst product they have ever had and people are still watching enough to post about them or interact all over their social media. 

A WWE show or PPV isn’t really a WWE show or PPV without the same voices castigating it like they have done for a few years, often paying for the privilege. 

I watched Vince's egg segment and it's basically just Vince incoherently mumbling while gesturing to a golden egg. Bloody hilarious. Amazing that nobody will even attempt to point out obviously terrible ideas anymore to him, even Reigns who's pretty much untouchable. 

Great to switch this on and see that Charlotte Becky was first as that was the sole point of interest in the show for me. Good match and a lot longer than the quick brawl I was expecting. Didnt appear to be any issues between them working together. 
Christ; McAfee is annoying. 
The issue with the elimination matches are why is the viewer supposed to care in the outcome? What are they fighting for? The whole brand supremacy thing is so tired now. 
That Cleopatra's egg nonsense was woeful. The crowd were dead for the main event.l until the closing moments; good match I thought. I found myself skipping through most of the show and going forward I'm not sure I'll bother with WWE going forward it's just not for me anymore.

• Paid Members

On the thing with The Rock, what are those who wanted him to show up expecting? Are people still excited by a potential match with Roman? Roman’s completely jumped the shark for me. A year ago the idea of him fighting The Rock sounded amazing, but now? I couldn’t care less. Just another guy for Roman to mumble about for a couple of weeks and then beat. No end game. No cathartic release. He just does this tired, lazy, boring, one note heel act until the end of time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

“Becky will cheat despite being the babyface, Charlotte will laugh despite being the heel who lost, everyone will raise their belts and move on.”

I thought Becky was a heel now? Or have they given up on that again?

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

We're currently somewhere that makes 1995 look like 2000.

1995 looks brilliant now! People having feuds based on having feuds rather than warming up for the next ladder match or Cell PPV, no pretend feuds based on what channel they wrestle on, every PPV having some matches you’ve not seen before half a dozen times, you only need to watch 1 hour of TV a week to keep up with important events affecting the bulk of the core cast, and the colours…. Oh! The COLOURS.

Disappointed I didn't hear Becky mouth, "get the fuck out of my ring!" while Charlotte was doing her post-loss HHH impression. 

No doubt these two bring the best of each other though. A real competitive edge that makes them stand out when everything else is so sanitised. I skipped to the main event and it was the opposite. Slow, plodding and predictable. Nothing wrong with "WWE style" per say - it's safe and clean. But it's jarring how precise and patterned it is when you haven't watched in while.

Caught Lynch's pre and post-match promos this week too, and it was like a flashback to the Becky that drew me back into wrestling in 2018. Fiery babyface promos wrapped up in reality and real emotion. It's ridiculous that she's going to have to revert back to her cornball heel shtick on Monday. What's the point of this laborious 'heel' shit anyway? She certainly isn't helping to elevate anyone. Poor Liv Morgan didn't stand a chance and now Becky's stolen her wardrobe.

But yeah, my biggest takeaway was just how fucking awful the canned heat is. 100% atmosphere killer. That weird, ambient din that smothers the audio makes it feel like I'm watching a PS2 exhibition match rather than a live wrestling event. Unwatchable on almost every level.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I thought Becky was a heel now? Or have they given up on that again?

A heel in name only. Wrestles like a babyface. Gets babyface reactions. Nobody wants her to be a heel. Every babyface she feuds with ends up looking like a moron because she’s more popular than them. It’s like everyone has gotten the memo except whoever books the finishes. She’s the anti-Cody.

23 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Disappointed I didn't hear Becky mouth, "get the fuck out of my ring!" while Charlotte was doing her post-loss HHH impression. 

No doubt these two bring the best of each other though. A real competitive edge that makes them stand out when everything else is so sanitised. I skipped to the main event and it was the opposite. Slow, plodding and predictable. Nothing wrong with "WWE style" per say - it's safe and clean. But it's jarring how precise and patterned it is when you haven't watched in while.

Caught Lynch's pre and post-match promos this week too, and it was like a flashback to the Becky that drew me back into wrestling in 2018. Fiery babyface promos wrapped up in reality and real emotion. It's ridiculous that she's going to have to revert back to her cornball heel shtick on Monday. What's the point of this laborious 'heel' shit anyway? She certainly isn't helping to elevate anyone. Poor Liv Morgan didn't stand a chance and now Becky's stolen her wardrobe.

But yeah, my biggest takeaway was just how fucking awful the canned heat is. 100% atmosphere killer. That weird, ambient din that smothers the audio makes it feel like I'm watching a PS2 exhibition match rather than a live wrestling event. Unwatchable on almost every level.

If anything the robotic commentary on those PS2 games was far less irritating than the robotic commentary of the current show. I never thought they'd find someone more annoying than that Ranallo lad, but then they went and got McAfee. Bravo.

My WWE watching now concerns catching bits on youtube and reading stuff on here. I have absolutely no interest in it. Just a flat mess. Even Roman who peaked my interest a last year just comes across as bloody boring. Read the results for Survivor Series and have absolutely no interest in seeing it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

A WWE show or PPV isn’t really a WWE show or PPV without the same voices castigating it like they have done for a few years, often paying for the privilege. 

The best ones are the ones who say they have no interest in this product any more after they have posted about it for the 278th week in a row.

I haven't had time to really keep up with Smackdown over the last few months due to family stuff, and I just don't bother with RAW, but I really didn't feel like I'd missed anything once the show started. And that's hardly surprising. I think it's the same feeling most people have.

Obviously the Red Notice/Netflix stuff was incredibly annoying and all over the shot, giving people the impression that The Rock might have appeared somehow. There wasn't really any buzz in him being involved so I wasn't expecting him and he didn't turn up. Shocking. But yeah, between that and the Pizza Hut shit, the product placement is getting worse and worse over time. If only they could put as much effort into their own product as putting over someone else's.

I did like that they had a few vignettes for guys like Drew, Lashley etc. I always felt that was something they needed more of, especially with the amount of time they have to fill for their programming. And the Xia one was a nice change too.

The crowd were pretty dead for the majority and if you can't get a decent reaction in that arena with that crowd then you're obviously doing something very wrong. I mean we all know they are, but it's just pretty depressing to watch.

Thought it was a bit of a weird call having arguably the most heated match on the card as the opener and everything was pretty much downhill from there. Having Roman and Big E on last just added to the potential Rock stuff which was stupid really but maybe they just desperately wanted to try and convince people to stick around rather than ditch everything and go and find something more interesting to do.

On the whole most things were inoffensive. Nothing out there was spectacular and it felt like a show that would've been a bit more enjoyable if the crowd were into it but you actually have to give them something to care about. Bianca won a match no one was into. And thankfully Big E wasn't buried but it was a match that really didn't need to take place yet.

It was just an utterly pointless PPV with no real driving force behind anything and no reason to care and I just wish they'd ditch the RAW vs SmackDown shit and just have it as a normal PPV really. There's no special attraction in having these people team anymore. It's not a selling point in 2021 with the way they book their weekly product anyway so I don't really understand why they think it's something worth keep pushing. I reckon they'd sell more with a well built PPV that didn't involve the brand supremacy shit. Especially with how badly it's timed with the Draft and the fact it all means literally NOTHING.

It's just sad really. Survivor Series was a real highlight when I was growing up and it's by-the-book bullshit now like most of their "gimmicks". Nothing means anything and it's all forgotten about soon enough. But hey, that's not a problem exclusive to Survivor Series really.