Survivor Series 2021

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

1 minute ago, 69MeDon said:

spacer.png

Three of the YouTube clips on WWE's official channel this morning are those bizarre Vince segments. 

But hey, Survivor Series was already established decades ago as the event where we're encouraged to get inordinately excited about an oversized egg with no decent payoff.

I’ve only read the results and watched some clips, but I really don’t like the idea that this is how integrated product placement has become in WWE.

Netflix and Red Notice have basically bought two nights of WWE programming with that sodding egg, and Pizza Hut started a tag feud.

It’s just all so soulless. I didn’t think it could get worst than during the main event of Mania (literally mid-match) when they panned out to a snickers logo and had the commentators plug a chocolate bar.

It’s almost weird being a fan of this company at the minute. It’s an empty, soulless profit vehicle. I appreciate that’s what businesses are at their core, but there’s usually some appreciable culture or secondary purpose beyond just making money. It’s hard to see that in modern WWE, it’s just decision by algorithm.

At this point, I’m not even sure anyone in power within the WWE even likes wrestling. They just prostitute the idea of professional wrestling for profit. It’s pretty grim.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

The fact that people still watch this shit and post how shit it is every week baffles me more than the booking decisions. Its been shit for a few years now so its not even like there is a bit of hope to cling to. WWE are laughing, record profits, worst product they have ever had and people are still watching enough to post about them or interact all over their social media. 

4 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

OK i hardly ever watch wwe, but seeing people post about Vinces egg? and tag teams fighting over sponsored pizza i had to see the clips.

WTF was that. 

Vince must be close to being declared insane? Can you imagine the meetings when this was all agreed. 

I can imagine the meetings.

”Netflix want to give us a bajillion dollars to use their new films prop on air for two nights and…”

”let me stop you right there, let’s do it!”

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Nick James said:

The fact that people still watch this shit and post how shit it is every week baffles me more than the booking decisions. Its been shit for a few years now so its not even like there is a bit of hope to cling to. WWE are laughing, record profits, worst product they have ever had and people are still watching enough to post about them or interact all over their social media. 

That is an interesting point. I watched a YouTuber discussing some of those horrendous craft or cooking channels that spam content with ridiculous fake shit like chucking skittles and corn kernals into a pan and magically ending up with Rainbow Popcorn or something and how even if they get masses of dislikes and comments, it's a huge success because it helps YouTube promote the videos.

I never tweet about WWE, don't follow them anywhere and don't comment anywhere but here but I do check out the trending stuff after their shows to see what people are saying and it's at least 50% negative. But as said, they spin all these interactions, trending, etc in their company profile and when TV is all about live buzz these days rather than just viewership, which is generally down, it does help them massively attracting TV deals and sponsorship despite the garbage they're serving up.

Will any of us ever break the habit of being at least interested in how bad it is? I dunno. I saw #SurvivorSeries trending this morning, read the results and checked the hashtag, also the trending topic for "The Rock" which is where I dragged that earlier tweet from. I didn't really need to, I could have predicted 90% of the booking on the show and 99% of the reactions but I was interested just in case The Rock did show up. Will that ever not be a thing? I'm not sure.

My WWE interests begins and ends these days at seeing just how bad the product is via Reddit and on here and then laughing at the memes and funny comments about how bad it is. I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?!

Hey, maybe wrestling really is cyclical? If it is, given the egg-based content, we're only six or seven short years from a product we might actually enjoy.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Hey, maybe wrestling really is cyclical? If it is, given the egg-based content, we're only six or seven short years from a product we might actually enjoy.

Nah, the original egg came at one of the heights of my fandom and off the back of 4-5 of the best years they ever had. We're currently somewhere that makes 1995 look like 2000.

So after seeing the Vince/Roman/Egg segment, I kinda want WWE to do what they always do, and fuck everything up.

Might as well cut Roman’s legs off and have him randomly drop the title at the December PPV.

Just in time for Rumble season, where Roman can steal the egg, Rock can win the Rumble and instead of choosing to face a champion, he challenges Reigns for ownership of the egg.

This isn’t a fantasy booking situation, but with how WWE is lately and Reigns already mucking about with plastic crowns and shit, I can see WWE doing some sort of egg theft angle regardless.

EDIT - It seems the egg has already been nicked. I didn’t pay that much attention. I reckon it’s Roman.

Edited by neil is brill
Egg shenanigans.

• Paid Members

The only thing I was interested in was Becky vs. Charlotte and they completely bollocksed it up. It’s pure WWE to accidentally stumble upon something genuinely interesting and come up with the dullest, dumbest finish possible to wring out any and all excitement. “Becky will cheat despite being the babyface, Charlotte will laugh despite being the heel who lost, everyone will raise their belts and move on.” Good job, lads. You almost had something worth watching there. Excellent job turning it ice cold and making everyone involved look like a dickhead.