Survivor Series 2021

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Charlotte forces them to watch. It’s her fault. 

Apparently hers was the best match. Imagine how good it would have been if she wasn't so boring and one-dimensional and over-exposed and stroppy!

5 minutes ago, Perry said:

Yeah, but they only watch a few clips here and there on social media. Honest

Those short vids must go into some detail.

And they were retweeted into their timeline, they didn’t search for them, they just appeared. 

7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And they were retweeted into their timeline, they didn’t search for them, they just appeared. 

I genuinely think it'd be difficult for me to do what you're suggesting and just pack it in entirely.

I don't watch anymore, but I read results, watch social media clips (sometimes I search for them, sometimes I don't).

But, and this is important, like most people here I still consider myself a wrestling fan at heart. At it's best, wrestling is my absolute favourite thing in the world to watch, read about and discuss online. And, throughout 34 years of existence, the company that have provided me with more entertainment and joy than any other is WWE.

The reason I, personally, continue to check in (on here, on show reports, on social media clips) is not because i'm a miserable cunt who wants to drag the WWE and talk about how shit it is. It's because I'm a relentless optimist who believes WWE could be the best entertainment company in the world and i'm forever disappointed when they pump out formulaic, soulless shite.

I reckon if I stopped caring about what the WWE was doing with their shows, it'd be a short journey to me checking out of being a wrestling fan entirely. And i don't want to do that yet.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I suppose the key thing about WWE for a lot of people is that there's always potential there. The issue isn't that they don't have a talented roster. Nor that they're incapable of booking decent matches or backstage segments or anything like that. There's always just enough of a glimmer of hope there for some people to hold on.

Survivor Series itself isn't a broken concept. I still think there's something that can work there but it'd need:

a) real stakes

b) for the 'co-exist' stuff to not happen nearly every week on regular television

c) probably to drop the 'brand' part of the idea because that means absolutely nothing

It works better as a regular yearly concept for me than something like Hell in a Cell which feels hugely forced and loses all meaning because they're not using it as a feud ender most of the time now. I get that they think all these gimmicks are the selling points for the PPVs but they could try and actually sell meaningful well built matches instead rather than just random TLC matches or whatever else.

There's obviously a time and a place for things like that but they happen so damn often now that you've got talent half killing themselves for a polite clap sometimes.

The most annoying thing is that they keep booking themselves into a corner when they don't need to with various matches, bad endings etc. They're totally in control of what's happening so why they keep doing it I have no idea. Want a good ending? Write one! Want a good feud? Make one! Want to keep two champs away from each other for a bigger stage rather than spunking that match on a meaningless PPV in November? JUST FUCKING DO IT VINCE.

I don't watch it to moan about it. I take no pleasure in moaning about it and I'm always trying to look for the positives because I am a WWE fan as well as a wrestling fan in general. I don't think I ever see me giving up on it because it's what I grew up on and I'm still invested in some way. I just wish they could put the pieces together properly and give fans something to be passionate about rather than cynical.

I always compare it to supporting your home football team through all the trials and tribulations no matter whether they're winning or getting relegated. It's fucking frustrating but when it's good it's really good and you just hold on to the fond memories hoping they'll come again one day. And sure, there'll always be alternatives you can watch and enjoy, but you know your heart always has that connection to your team. WWE has been good a lot of the time. WWE has been GREAT on many occasions. I have to believe it will be again sometime.

4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I always compare it to supporting your home football team through all the trials and tribulations no matter whether they're winning or getting relegated.

Supporting a football team isn’t the same as an entertainment show because 

4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

And sure, there'll always be alternatives you can watch and enjoy,

There isn’t an alternative to your team. A better analogy would be a soap opera, not a sports team. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Survivor Series itself isn't a broken concept.

I don't agree. Nor do they. They first tweaked the concept in 1990. They abandoned it altogether in 1992. They nearly scrapped it as a PPV over a decade ago. The brand shit gave it a brief stay of execution but it's a dead horse they continue to flog.

• Paid Members

I think Nia Jax being axed has not helped the WWE/The Rock relationship. All the hype was for the 25th anniversary of The Rock debuting (which I have never seen them do for any other superstar, unless they did the same for Taker?) and couldn't even get him to video in an appearance to thank the fans or something. I reckon we won't see him back anytime soon. Maybe he will be at Winter is Coming?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

(which I have never seen them do for any other superstar, unless they did the same for Taker?)

They've done it multiple times for Taker. There was a lot of hype around his decade of destruction or whatever they labelled it at the time and then a couple of times since, his 30th anniversary last year being hyped too.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I don't agree. Nor do they. They first tweaked the concept in 1990. They abandoned it altogether in 1992. They nearly scrapped it as a PPV over a decade ago. The brand shit gave it a brief stay of execution but it's a dead horse they continue to flog.

They could still make it interesting depending on how long it had been since the previous draft. If they’d managed to go from Mania through to Survivors without any cross-brand matches (yes, including SummerSlam) then revive what they did in 2006 where people pick their teams from all brands so you have some crossed-over teams with Raw and SmackDown feuds crossed over in the same matches as both a pre-cursor to the Rumble and also a chance to ignite the touchpaper for some new Raw v SmackDown enmity that you want to continue through the Rumble and into matches for Mania. But that requires both forewarn planning and restraint. Something akin to booking wrestling, as opposed to writing episodic weekly TV, producing content, or whatever the fuck they think they’re doing with their Superstars to produce the right Entertainment for their Universe.

No, I don’t blame the wording used. But it’s effective in underlining the disconnect between what most of us want the company to be, and what it is.

• Paid Members

No-one should have to justify watching or discussing this show on a wrestling forum. Even if the chat is all negative, it’s still one of the biggest shows of the year from the world’s biggest company, so it’s natural for wrestling fans to want to find out what happened and/or chat about it. If you think people moaning about WWE is boring, it’s fucking enthralling compared to people moaning about people moaning. Moanception.

I wonder if that’s it for Kevin Owens? It was always going to be interesting seeing how they write him off. Push him too much and he leaves a star. Bury him too much and he becomes an anti-star who can post his Twitter videos about breaking out of prison. Perhaps it isn’t the worst idea in the world having him just fuck off. If nothing else it can help get Seth over as the most annoying man who ever lived. A colleague you’d rather quit your job over than work with directly.

7 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I wonder if that’s it for Kevin Owens? It was always going to be interesting seeing how they write him off. Push him too much and he leaves a star. Bury him too much and he becomes an anti-star who can post his Twitter videos about breaking out of prison. Perhaps it isn’t the worst idea in the world having him just fuck off. If nothing else it can help get Seth over as the most annoying man who ever lived. A colleague you’d rather quit your job over than work with directly.

When he turns up in AEW, they should have him just walk down and roll into the ring, as if he's been walking to Jacksonville (or whatever town they're in that week) since he fucked off that match last night.

2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

No-one should have to justify watching or discussing this show on a wrestling forum. Even if the chat is all negative, it’s still one of the biggest shows of the year from the world’s biggest company, so it’s natural for wrestling fans to want to find out what happened and/or chat about it. If you think people moaning about WWE is boring, it’s fucking enthralling compared to people moaning about people moaning. Moanception.

And likewise, nobody should have to justify why they think it’s baffling why someone continually watches something for years that they don’t like. The Christmas Eastenders is their wrestlemania and the Bank holidays are their PPVs. But if you don’t like Eastenders you aren’t going to go out of your way to watch it. And if people did, you’d think they were chumps. 

And I don’t think anyone is moaning at the moaners, more pointing and laughing at them than moaning about them. Their dislike of something nobody is forcing them to watch and then telling the most successful promotion of all time where they’re going wrong because they know better is more enthralling than what’s on screen.