Survivor Series 2021

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

5 hours ago, air_raid said:

Final bump to talk about 1996, I promise.

From a STW I have listened to it seems Meltzer reported that right before Buried Alive, Vader and Farooq were no longer winning their matches and WWF/Intercontinental titles accordingly, because JJ Dillon had just left they didn’t want to go ahead on any plans he knew of and would stooge to WCW. Prichard thinks that’s bullshit and so do I.

Interesting to think Farooq would have held the Intercontinental title, presumably to defend it later on against Ahmed. If Hunter wasn’t due to win the belt, I wonder if him vs Perfect would have gone ahead rather than turning Curt heel.

I don't think curt wanted to work because of his Lloyd of London insurance deal that's why perfect probably wouldn't of wrestled. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, sivy said:

I don't think curt wanted to work because of his Lloyd of London insurance deal that's why perfect probably wouldn't have wrestled. 

I don’t think that’s got anything to do with it. His insurance policy paid out because he couldn’t wrestle, not the other way round. In 1994 he was planning to return to the ring to wrestle Luger before he realised his back wasn’t up to it, and in the 16th Nov 1996 Torch it was reported by Keller that Hennig had told the office he was leaving for WCW, and certainly Wade knew he was going to “return to the ring” or words to that effect I.e. he was definitely going to wrestle.

16 hours ago, air_raid said:

I don’t think that’s got anything to do with it. His insurance policy paid out because he couldn’t wrestle, not the other way round. In 1994 he was planning to return to the ring to wrestle Luger before he realised his back wasn’t up to it, and in the 16th Nov 1996 Torch it was reported by Keller that Hennig had told the office he was leaving for WCW, and certainly Wade knew he was going to “return to the ring” or words to that effect I.e. he was definitely going to wrestle.

I'm sure he didn't end up getting the payout from Lloyds of London because of WWF, someone let it slip to them that he was coming back, it cost him 300k. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, sivy said:

I'm sure he didn't end up getting the payout from Lloyds of London because of WWF, someone let it slip to them that he was coming back, it cost him 300k.

They told that story on the SCG Monday Night Wars courtesy of Meltzer's reporting but the reason they enquired was because he was going to come back for the Triple H feud so it just doesn't ring true. If Lloyds had paid out and then he turned up on WWF TV (or WCW because they all jumped for the money regardless) then they were going to call it in anyway. I don't think it's as reported.

Pet hate - British wrestling fans who say Lloyds of London. It's just Lloyds Bank, lads. Sorry @sivy, it's not just you.

That whole story feels to me like Curt trying to play both sides of the fence, which is why the reporting seems so contradictory - Hennig telling them he was coming back, as he did multiple times over the previous two years - so the WWF believed it, though who knows if he was ever actually going to and how much if it was a dangling carrot to keep himself involved. WWF telling Lloyd's he was coming back and them cancelling his policy was why he left, and of course without the policy he returns to the ring for WCW. It was said at one point (can't remember by who or where) that Hennig was close timewise to a massive payout on the policy and was telling them he was coming back and did plan to, but was trying to delay and draw everything out to that point, which makes sense out of both sides (particularly if somebody saw the policy as getting in the way of him wrestling and made the Lloyd's call to force his hand, which I'm sure is how Hennig took it).

Edited by Liam O'Rourke