Awful characters in otherwise excellent TV shows

RedRooster

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Briefcase said:

I'm not sure how he is as an actor but he plays the chickenshit heel really well. But do think they overused him in the show, one season fine but him coming back was a little OTT.

Berlin makes up for it though at the opposite end of the scale for being absolutely amazing though. 

Agreed. Bringing Arturo in again smacked of the writer's needing to kill time story-wise. His first appearance was well done yes but the character deteriorated very quickly.

Berlin's role and acting is up there with the best of all time in my opinion. If you check out Pedro Alonso's Instagram you'll get a brilliant laugh as he seems to be as random in real life.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Vamp said:

Clara in Doctor Who (shut up, it's great to me). There's even a line where the Doctor describes her as "a mystery wrapped in an enigma, squeezed into a skirt that's just a little bit too tight." That's not a character. It's not acted badly, unlike some of the other nominations above, because she brings far more life to the part than is actually there. It doesn't help that she replaced Amy Pond, who's far more of a character but who is also embroiled in various mysteries, and that there's already River Song, another stronger character who's also mysterious. 

She then stays after the mystery is wrapped up. At one stage they literally have the Doctor mention a personality trait on dialogue that she's never really shown before as if he's prescribing it to her. 

Peter Capaldi inherits her. Clara gets a nice little send off but then comes back for another series and gets an ending where the Doctor can't bring himself to let her go which feels like a metaphor for how the showrunner (Stephen Moffat) feels. 

It's also notable that it's around the same time that Sherlock adds a scene to the story of Irene Adler (the woman who bests Sherlock Holmes) where she needs rescuing by Holmes which is heralded by a ringtone of her making an orgasmic sigh. I don't know if that's Moffat of Gatiss (or both) but it feels very unnecessary and feels like it readjusts the characters so that Sherlock still ends up on top.

To be fair to Moffat he does also write some other fun female characters for Doctor Who. It's just that Clara is fan wank wrapped up in Moffat's worst tendencies squeezed into a tight skirt  

I liked the relationship between Clara & Matt Smith's Doctor, and she served as a good anchor between Doctors. Her getting used to the Capaldi Doctor was a good idea, but the hybrid stuff leading to the end of that series did get a bit much. 

Moffat ruined Irene Adler in Sherlock. In fact Sherlock is a brilliant example of the law of diminishing returns. Dracula was similar. The second episode was really interesting with the mystery on the boat, but the two episodes around it were pretty terrible. 

Moffat can be great if he's contributing an episode to somebody else's show, but when he's actually in charge it can go a bit off the rails. He may be able to redeem himself a little if he gets to write a few episodes for the second round of RTD's run on Doctor Who. 

Coupling was good though. 

@LEGITI liked the idea of the Evil Leaper, but it was poorly executed. It could have been an interesting direction for the show to go in. A few episodes of just the Evil Leaper going and putting wrong some stuff that was right with a slightly different title sequence and theme to establish the difference. Maybe Sam ends up revisiting some previous leaps because things have been changed after he left, and he has to put things right again all the while he, Sam, and the people at the project are trying to find out how this has happened, then they become aware of each other as they end up in the same place at the same time working against each other. Maybe some stuff set in the "present" where they're trying to shut each other's projects down (assuming they exist in the same timeline) or trying to figure out how this has ended up happening. Having said that it might have been a little much for the viewers of the time to get a hold of. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@LEGITI liked the idea of the Evil Leaper, but it was poorly executed. It could have been an interesting direction for the show to go in. A few episodes of just the Evil Leaper going and putting wrong some stuff that was right with a slightly different title sequence and theme to establish the difference. Maybe Sam ends up revisiting some previous leaps because things have been changed after he left, and he has to put things right again all the while he, Sam, and the people at the project are trying to find out how this has happened, then they become aware of each other as they end up in the same place at the same time working against each other. Maybe some stuff set in the "present" where they're trying to shut each other's projects down (assuming they exist in the same timeline) or trying to figure out how this has ended up happening. Having said that it might have been a little much for the viewers of the time to get a hold of. 

It’s a bit too “box set”/binge watch/modern all-encompassing arc thinking for the time of Leap, where most TV dramas did their series of one off stories with at most a 2-parter where you can sum up “last time on Quantum Leap” in 10 seconds. 95% of the time you want to tell your story in one shot and if any of your regulars go out for a change on the night you air, they’ll tune in next week knowing they aren’t going to feel too lost having missed a week. Good times.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, air_raid said:

It’s a bit too “box set”/binge watch/modern all-encompassing arc thinking for the time of Leap, where most TV dramas did their series of one off stories with at most a 2-parter where you can sum up “last time on Quantum Leap” in 10 seconds. 95% of the time you want to tell your story in one shot and if any of your regulars go out for a change on the night you air, they’ll tune in next week knowing they aren’t going to feel too lost having missed a week. Good times.

I was thinking more in the style of those mirror universe episodes of Enterprise. Do it as a season opener or something, make people wonder what's happened to my Quantum Leap and then go back to Sam with no explanation until they cross paths. Heck have them put wrong something that Sam had previously put right just to establish that we're in the same universe. They did gonout on some interesting limbs to try and pop a rating in that final season. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, chokeout said:

Scrappy-Doo_promo.png

The "Yoko Ono of Saturday Morning Cartoons" as I saw him once described. Still, better than all the others that followed like Scooby Dum, Scooby Dee, and Yabba Doo during Hanna Barbara's throw great dane shit at the wall and see what sticks. There was also Flim-Flam in the Thirteen Ghosts alongside Scooby, Shaggy and Daphne. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The "Yoko Ono of Saturday Morning Cartoons" as I saw him once described. Still, better than all the others that followed like Scooby Dum, Scooby Dee, and Yabba Doo during Hanna Barbara's throw great dane shit at the wall and see what sticks. There was also Flim-Flam in the Thirteen Ghosts alongside Scooby, Shaggy and Daphne. 

Whilst in hindsight this is true, my first exposure to Scooby Doo was the series' with Scrappy Doo, so I never knew any different until I was an adult. I never knew why he was so hated as it was all I knew. Same with this guy in the Flintstones, though the Simpson's parodies of him made his existence worth while

flintstones GIF

On 9/26/2021 at 9:56 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

Moffat can be great if he's contributing an episode to somebody else's show, but when he's actually in charge it can go a bit off the rails. He may be able to redeem himself a little if he gets to write a few episodes for the second round of RTD's run on Doctor Who. 

Clara was all set to go at the end of 8 but they convinced her to stay for some reason. The fact that Bill Potts came in and was great with Capaldi made that decision even more annoying. Moffat is king of the one off episodes. Arc wise he's all set up no pay off.

On a slight twist on this, I used to think Pete Campbell was ruining MAD MEN, but part way through you realise what a tremendous character he actually is.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

On a slight twist on this, I used to think Pete Campbell was ruining MAD MEN, but part way through you realise what a tremendous character he actually is.

Pete Campbell's a great example of how nice and good aren't the same thing. He's clearly a dickhead, but that scene where he blasts Harry Crane for his behaviour over MLK's assassination shows he's decent (to a certain degree) at his core.

• Paid Members

Mr Hargreaves, Grange Hill deputy head in the early 90s. Like you'd dropped Gordon Brittas into the middle of another show. The type of "this show just went to shit and is going to take a big effort to get back on track" not seen again until the second half of Oz Season 4.

Mr_Hargreaves.png