Awful characters in otherwise excellent TV shows

RedRooster

6 minutes ago, Vamp said:

All of the characters in Game of Thrones are shit except the dragons and the white walkers (who get jobbed out by rubbish humans). And the irrelevant tree people or whatever the fuck they were. 

Cameo or not The Actor Kevin Eldon shits on dragons.

spacer.png

I was going to say that is not controversial, but then remembered I used the same word when tweeting about it last year.

It felt like the people in charge didn’t have a role for their mate so agreed to let him do a few minutes of his weird standup in each episode.

19E274FE-4277-4414-8E50-4429D4104662.jpeg

Edited by dopper

1 hour ago, dopper said:

I was going to say that is not controversial, but then remembered I used the same word when tweeting about it last year.

It felt like the people in charge didn’t have a role for their mate so agreed to let him do a few minutes of his weird standup in each episode.

19E274FE-4277-4414-8E50-4429D4104662.jpeg

Shut up Mab!

• Paid Members

Jackson Marchetti in Sex Education. Just there as part of production's policy of making the programme seem more American; the character's a pretty basic jock archetype with the most interesting thing about him being that he has two mums. 

20 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Arturo Roman (Money Heist) is one that springs to mind - an absolutely dreadful character, a weasely actor in amongst an otherwise stellar cast. Removing him would not have changed much (for me anyway) in as much as I wanted to fast forward every time he appeared on-screen. Really annoyed me to the point that I enjoyed the programme less the more he was involved. Most people will disagree - which is fair enough - but there is nothing of any interest in that character for me and he detracts from an otherwise enthralling watch.

I'm not sure how he is as an actor but he plays the chickenshit heel really well. But do think they overused him in the show, one season fine but him coming back was a little OTT.

Berlin makes up for it though at the opposite end of the scale for being absolutely amazing though. 

• Paid Members

Laurence Fishburne as Langstone in CSI. It was running out of steam as a show by then and was certainly past its peak but the shows after he left were solid faye for a light crime drama. 

The problem isn't completely in the character in fairness, however the ongoing "does he have it in him to kill another person" arc seemed to be his only trait or area of development making him seem so thin, and to make it worse it was boring from day 1. In addition in an effort to seemingly try something different after lots of the original cast had moved on they seemed to be focused more on him and his "story" which drove home what a drab and tedious character he was. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Jackson Marchetti in Sex Education. Just there as part of production's policy of making the programme seem more American; the character's a pretty basic jock archetype with the most interesting thing about him being that he has two mums. 

They almost made him interesting in season 3, but then decided against it. 

• Paid Members

Absolute shite. It worked at first when she was presented as a super awkward and nerdy type like a female Mark but gradually she became some weird forced hipster creation and soon became insufferable. As an aside, Season 9 of Peep Show can get in the bin (even though Dobby isn't in that one). 

Edit: in reply to Keith, messed up the quote tags there.

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

Clara in Doctor Who (shut up, it's great to me). There's even a line where the Doctor describes her as "a mystery wrapped in an enigma, squeezed into a skirt that's just a little bit too tight." That's not a character. It's not acted badly, unlike some of the other nominations above, because she brings far more life to the part than is actually there. It doesn't help that she replaced Amy Pond, who's far more of a character but who is also embroiled in various mysteries, and that there's already River Song, another stronger character who's also mysterious. 

She then stays after the mystery is wrapped up. At one stage they literally have the Doctor mention a personality trait on dialogue that she's never really shown before as if he's prescribing it to her. 

Peter Capaldi inherits her. Clara gets a nice little send off but then comes back for another series and gets an ending where the Doctor can't bring himself to let her go which feels like a metaphor for how the showrunner (Stephen Moffat) feels. 

It's also notable that it's around the same time that Sherlock adds a scene to the story of Irene Adler (the woman who bests Sherlock Holmes) where she needs rescuing by Holmes which is heralded by a ringtone of her making an orgasmic sigh. I don't know if that's Moffat of Gatiss (or both) but it feels very unnecessary and feels like it readjusts the characters so that Sherlock still ends up on top.

To be fair to Moffat he does also write some other fun female characters for Doctor Who. It's just that Clara is fan wank wrapped up in Moffat's worst tendencies squeezed into a tight skirt  

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Dobby in Peep Show. Real Poochie shit there. Totally forgot how awful that character was. Nearly ruined the show. 

The only thing Dobby was good for, was making Marks dad irrationally angry at Christmas dinner, which was brilliant. For her to be dragged out for 2 or 3 series' as the central love interest was ridiculous, for Jez to then get involved jumped the shark.

Dobby was OK, but as others said, started well but then morphed into something that she just wasn't, but she did, through her shitty boyfriend, give us two fantastic moments and they were

Spoiler

Mark playing 5 a side "stick it in their fucking goal hole" and Super Hans getting paranoid at paintball. 

They might not have happened without her.

Been rewatching the amazing in every way Quantum Leap recently but episodes with the Evil Leaper and her hologram companion are just shite in an otherwise perfect show. The performances and tone of their characters just don't seem to fit the show whatsoever.