Awful characters in otherwise excellent TV shows

RedRooster

34 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Skylar in Breaking Bad. Just always whiny.

I think Skylar was a great character - and I totally essential one in the entire arc of the show. I didn’t find her particularly likeable or even sympathetic, but that didn’t matter. She was believable and, I would argue, integral to the story they told. 

• Paid Members

Arturo Roman (Money Heist) is one that springs to mind - an absolutely dreadful character, a weasely actor in amongst an otherwise stellar cast. Removing him would not have changed much (for me anyway) in as much as I wanted to fast forward every time he appeared on-screen. Really annoyed me to the point that I enjoyed the programme less the more he was involved. Most people will disagree - which is fair enough - but there is nothing of any interest in that character for me and he detracts from an otherwise enthralling watch.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Brother Mouzone in The Wire was silly and cartoonish. I found him too unbelievable.

Spoiler

I can understand the hate. A I know alot of people find him too outlandish. Rumour was he was based on a real guy who was muscle in the Nation of Islam though and in wrestling terms they built him up well for his big moment. The death of Stringer Bell.

The fact Stringer is running away from Omar and runs straight into Mouzone is perfect. We all know he is fucked then and is finally done. As does Stringer, its fantastic acting from Idris Elba in that scene. Its one of my favourite moments in any TV show. 

2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

I always thought Lee Adama from Battlestar Galactica was really fucking boring. 

Helo.. So deathly dull. Uurgh. 

Danerys from Game of Thrones was utterly rotten too, an utter cowbag and a story that was dull as dishwater, Even made the ending which should have been about a descent into insanity, pointless.

Romance? Even Brienne did that better without what seemed like umpteen4 seasons to find 'love' 

Ditto the prick who was in love with her despite his betrayal. Marchant? 

Mind, there's a load of utterly useless characters in Game of Thrones, including Ed Sheeran and Stannis 'what's the point? ' Baratheon, 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Jackie Jr in The Sopranos.

Fucking little cunt.

He was stupid and annoying but as a longer term character I’d say Vito. Didn’t help the actor playing him was fucking awful. If he didn’t exist it would be Meadow hands down. The argument with her boyfriend over the suitcase was enough to write her off completely. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, patiirc said:

Mind, there's a load of utterly useless characters in Game of Thrones, including Ed Sheeran and Stannis 'what's the point? ' Baratheon, 

Ed Sheeran was a cameo in one scene and had less than 5 lines. He wasn't even a proper character. 

Stannis is an absolutely great character with some of the best scenes in the show. The war his character declares is one of the main plot points for seasons 2 to 5 and the aftermath and wider effects are all over seasons 6 and 7. Just because he fails in his quest hardly makes his character pointless. 

Also, calling Danearys a "cowbag", kinda weird and not sure what that means.

Anyways, I always found Gina in Brooklyn 99 pretty unbearable. The one black spot on an otherwise perfect ensemble. The other characters were all so perfectly formed and defined, Gina was just constant annoying wackiness with nothing more to her. I think the quality of the show definitely went up when they wrote her out.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

Christine Kochanski in Red Dwarf, come on Dave you can do better than this stuck up pompous cow, even in deep space. 

The Chloe Annett version yes, but not the CP Grogan one. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Ed Sheeran was a cameo in one scene and had less than 5 lines. He wasn't even a proper character. 

Stannis is an absolutely great character with some of the best scenes in the show. The war his character declares is one of the main plot points for seasons 2 to 5 and the aftermath and wider effects are all over seasons 6 and 7. Just because he fails in his quest hardly makes his character pointless. 

Also, calling Danearys a "cowbag", kinda weird and not sure what that means.

Ed had enough of a presence to get a mention in the last season, So I'm standing by that. 

'Cowbag' is an extension of the insult of 'Cow' and it's used in the meaning of annoying. She's an awful character in Thrones. 

Stannis being a major character or not doesnt save him from being awful either. As you mention he is just a plot device. No redeeming features whatsoever and no need. Gendry had more presence for the love of humanity.