Awful characters in otherwise excellent TV shows

RedRooster

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Also, calling Danearys a "cowbag", kinda weird and not sure what that means.

I don’t know what “cowbag” means either, but Danearys is an utter cunt plain and simple. How anyone ever rooted for her is unbelievable 

The Ed Sheehan thing was easy to hate on because it was just him being Ed Sheehan. There were a few C-List (probably even lower in all fairness) celebrity cameos over the course of the show from Ed Tudor Pole, some guy from Coldplay, Mastodon, The Actor Kevin Eldon, you had Richard E Grant hamming it up good & proper...but none of those had the “hey look, it’s so & so“ treatment that Ed Sheehan got, which ultimately wasn’t  his fault. It was clumsy as hell and utterly pointless, but it’s a one and done scene, he was barely even a character 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I don’t know what “cowbag” means either, but Danearys is an utter cunt plain and simple. How anyone ever rooted for her is unbelievable 

The Ed Sheehan thing was easy to hate on because it was just him being Ed Sheehan. There were a few C-List (probably even lower in all fairness) celebrity cameos over the course of the show from Ed Tudor Pole, some guy from Coldplay, Mastodon, The Actor Kevin Eldon...but none of those had the “hey look, it’s so & so “ treatment that Ed Sheehan got, which ultimately wasn’t  his fault. It was clumsy as hell and utterly pointless, but it’s a one and done scene, he was barely even a character 

Absolutely agree. The scene where she got the Unsullied and everyone cheered at how badass it was when actually her acquiring a mindless army of murder slaves was pretty terrifying. Obviously they botched the ending but I actually think she was a very interesting character and over the top fantasy version of the cult of personality. Beloved by everyone but in reality just as bloodthirsty and entitled as Cersei was. 

And yeah I absolutely hated the Ed Shereen cameo thing too and to call him a character when he's just a cameo is pretty silly.

I always hated Cassandra in Only Fools and Horses. The actress is a charisma vacuum and just a blank slate of a character who never had a funny line.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Anyways, I always found Gina in Brooklyn 99 pretty unbearable. The one black spot on an otherwise perfect ensemble. The other characters were all so perfectly formed and defined, Gina was just constant annoying wackiness with nothing more to her. I think the quality of the show definitely went up when they wrote her out.

I wasn't really a big fan of Gina (though she did have her moments), but I can't agree with this bit. The overall quality of the show was definitely better during the time she was in it. That said around the time she left the storyline around her departure was so shit that it felt like a real breath of fresh air when she was gone.

29 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The fact that nobody here names the character speaks volumes. It’s a cameo. 

Imaginatively, the character was called 'Eddie' https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Eddie

Awful character, injected soley to bring more of the songs from the books to life ( not because of Ed Sheeran) lip service to book fans only. 

Slightly niche. But British thesp Roger Rees playing a very dull millionaire who was anchored around the entire 8th season on Cheers, in a very very dull meandering story for Kirstie Alley's character. 

It's Cheers, so it's hard to fuck up, but even they can't make him slightly interesting. It's too, ya know 'British person being British in the yanks show.' 

Rebecca is no Diane either, but I like Alley in it eventually. Her first series in shaky but eventually you see just how bloody funny Kirstie Alley was capable of being. 

Edited by Chili

17 minutes ago, patiirc said:

Imaginatively, the character was called 'Eddie' https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Eddie

Awful character, injected soley to bring more of the songs from the books to life ( not because of Ed Sheeran) lip service to book fans only. 

Taken from that very page. It was a cameo and not a character  he was in, what, one scene in 8 seasons? That’s like saying Richard Branson was an awful character in Only Fools And Horses  

Showrunner David Benioff explained that they gave Sheeran the cameo because Arya's actress, Maisie Williams, is one of his fans. Benioff said, "We knew that Maisie was a big fan of Ed Sheeran and for years we've been trying to get him on the show so we can surprise Maisie. This year we finally did it."[4]

• Paid Members

Even the writers poked fun at how bad it was by putting in a line in a later episode where a prostitute offhandedly says "that ginger singer was burned to death". Clearly just supposed to be a fun cameo but to Pat apparently he was a pivotal character. 

37 minutes ago, patiirc said:

I thought the book wankers stopped watching at the end of Series 5

1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I thought the book wankers stopped watching at the end of Series 5

Even in the quote that I lifted from the linked page dismisses the book wanker idea. They were looking at a way to give Sheeran a cameo, not to satiate the need for never heard songs to be included in the show.