TV Shows that have aged badly?

JohnKringler

40 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

It's kind of a weird feeling watching the flintstones lately. With their stone age drive-in movies and their caveman bowling, it just seems so dated.

I remember watching the Flintstones in the eighties and thinking that it was a Stone Age version of the sixties if that makes sense (which is when the cartoon was made).

Whilst on the subject of old Hanna-Barbera cartoons, I always thought the Jetsons was crap (even as a kid).

Edited by LCJ

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

As seen from it having been added to Netflix and being seen by a whole new audience, it has aged fine apart from the stuff with Chandler's dad.

Whether you like it or not is a different question but it's as good as it ever was.

Aye, it was always shite. 

This is a bit left field, but pretty much every celebrity chat show from the 90s and 2000s with a male host. I'm sure I could go beyond that time period too - but this is the era in which I was actually a viewer. 

There was a real tendency of hosts in both the UK and US to flirt with, and make sexual comments about female guests. If you watch an older interview with a big female star, you'll almost certainly see it for yourself - it was endemic. 

The guests would generally laugh along, and while I'm sure some of them weren't particularly bothered by it, I would imagine that many of them were, particularly younger guests, who were dealing with the equivalent of their dad or grandad making flirtatious comments. 

I know that David Letterman had a “historical backlash” from licking Jennifer Aniston’s hair in 1998. Whilst it is weird and creepy and wouldn’t fly today, I don’t recall a fuss being made at the time.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, LCJ said:

I know that David Letterman had a “historical backlash” from licking Jennifer Aniston’s hair in 1998. Whilst it is weird and creepy and wouldn’t fly today, I don’t recall a fuss being made at the time.

He was sleeping with one of his regular on-air contributors (can't remember her name off the top), but he defended that at the time saying they were both single or something.

8 hours ago, RedRooster said:

This is a bit left field, but pretty much every celebrity chat show from the 90s and 2000s with a male host. I'm sure I could go beyond that time period too - but this is the era in which I was actually a viewer. 

There was a real tendency of hosts in both the UK and US to flirt with, and make sexual comments about female guests. If you watch an older interview with a big female star, you'll almost certainly see it for yourself - it was endemic. 

The guests would generally laugh along, and while I'm sure some of them weren't particularly bothered by it, I would imagine that many of them were, particularly younger guests, who were dealing with the equivalent of their dad or grandad making flirtatious comments. 

I remember Chris Evans on TFI Friday ripping the piss out of Ritchie Neville for going out with young Billy Piper.

On 9/3/2021 at 12:18 PM, RedRooster said:

It's very left field.