TV Shows that have aged badly?

JohnKringler

13 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Oh, that’s great! I had no idea. I saw the ads for it and it very much came across on those as a “clinging on to fame” type deal. Glad I was wrong on that - thanks for the correction.

I was the same! My girlfriend is a big fan of Buffy and when I saw he was doing a night in Manchester, I scoffed at it. But she told me what they were about and how people benefit from them and meet up at them!

On a similar theme, Fab Cafe hosted a Buffy singalong that we went to. I was never a fan and knew nothing of the episode. When it finished I said it was quite good and thought Doogie Howser was really good. She pointed out that we just watched Doctor Horrible and asked why I wasn’t puzzled why Buffy or any of her gang weren’t in it. 

Anyway, the singalong was tons of fun for everyone in attendance, there was a quiz afterwards and we joined in with a guy dressed as Deadpool and one guy dressed as Sweet. It was a really fun, happy vibe!

32 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Game On. Was massively into it when it came out because ladz, but having rewatched it a few months ago I realised it’s absolutely awful.

I still think the first series is a good watch. The second and third are pretty terrible and weren't really good at the time. Martin is essentially a sad stalker in the third series and Matthew ashamed that he may be gay. Them calling Mandy slut shaming repeatedly Mandy has obviously not aged well but they are doing it out of jealousy more than anything. 

Edited by westlondonmist

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

On a similar theme, Fab Cafe hosted a Buffy singalong that we went to. I was never a fan and knew nothing of the episode. When it finished I said it was quite good and thought Doogie Howser was really good. She pointed out that we just watched Doctor Horrible and asked why I wasn’t puzzled why Buffy or any of her gang weren’t in it. 

Thats wonderful. 

Also, Game On hasn't aged well at all, but at the time it was great and anyone that disagrees is a massive skunk pussy.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

There’s that and there’s also the episode where a demon lives in the internet and is controlling students using an instant chat service to kill people. 

Yeah. That one is hilarious to watch back. Ham-fisted "Ooh the evils of technology" message.

The "Freak of the Week" episodes in the early seasons were always pretty crap though. They were generally only watchable because of the acting and some clever, self aware dialogue. It wasn't until the second half of Season 2 that the stories started getting good.

6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

His Q&A is about his struggles, addictions and mental health issues. The nights are designed for people who are struggling to make friends and increase their support network. The singalong is more a fun activity for people to bond over. He does bowling nights for fans as well for the same purpose. He seems like a decent if troubled guy. 

I genuinely feel bad for him. The character has aged horribly but I can't fault his acting at all. He was very good. It's a real shame he hasn't worked more since the show got cancelled.

It must've been tough to watch the rest of the cast go on to have successful careers, and lives, while he simply hasn't. I'd imagine he must be reminded of that constantly as well, at conventions etc.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I was watching a pretty comprehensive video on what fucked up seasons 5 and 6 of Skins (the writing of Franky is number one) and I was thinking of watching the first two again.. anyone gone back to them in recent years?

I really enjoyed the first series at the time but didn't think much of the second series. It'll be interesting to see if it has aged. I think the show was very much aimed for the generation. 

15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and indeed everything that Joss Whedon has ever written or made ever, was never good in the first place.

I'll second this without any hesitation. He's fucking tripe.

11 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Whedon being outed as a massive twat is probably the least surprising news ever.

Even when Buffy was still on the air I got impression that few people on set liked him. 

Yeah, this is odd. 

Seasons 5/6 contained that very odd "I watched 9/11 and laughed and that's why I'm fucked up" moment didn't it? Nobody could act their way out of that bollocks.

1/2 are probably the most consistent (not saying much admittedly). 3/4 is wildly inconsistent but contains probably the best character (Cook). They pretty much ignore the ending of 4 in their specials. 

It's weird that Skins didn't continue really. Guess it might have been expensive but it seemed to be a good launching pad for actors and writers. It could have been Last of the Summer Wine for teenagers. 

• Paid Members

This one would be fairly obvious: Up Pompeii. I still love the sheer stupidity of it, but...fucking hell. The love philtre episode alone induces wincing when I watch it now; not just in itself, but also when I think about how insidious this kind of thing was in popular culture. Not just this, but also the sex appeal virus in Red Dwarf, etc. It's disturbing how harmless and jolly it was all made to seem - you can see how impressionable young boys growing up could be "hacked" into thinking nothing of it.