TV Shows that have aged badly?

JohnKringler

• Paid Members

Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

I remember Xander being a loveable nerd. He was the funny underdog and I wanted to see him get the beautiful girl that he so desperately wanted.

Watching it back nowadays, he's actually a complete turd. He sexually harasses Buffy constantly, tries to sabotage her other relationships - to the point of trying to get Angel killed - and gets in a major strop when he asks her out and she says no. Like he full on acts like she's betraying their friendship by not being attracted to him. The whiny, entitled, incel cunt.

He was a prick to Willow as well. She blatantly fancies him but he ignores her (and whines to her about Buffy) UNTIL she gets a boyfriend. THEN he's suddenly into her and tries to destroy her relationship too. Even in the last seasons, when he's an adult, he gets upset when he finds out that the 14 year old Dawn doesn't have a crush on him anymore.

It's still a watchable show but that stuff is really jarring, especially given the recent allegations about Joss Whedon.

9 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

I remember Xander being a loveable nerd. He was the funny underdog and I wanted to see him get the beautiful girl that he so desperately wanted.

Watching it back nowadays, he's actually a complete turd. He sexually harasses Buffy constantly, tries to sabotage her other relationships - to the point of trying to get Angel killed - and gets in a major strop when he asks her out and she says no. Like he full on acts like she's betraying their friendship by not being attracted to him. The whiny, entitled, incel cunt.

He was a prick to Willow as well. She blatantly fancies him but he ignores her (and whines to her about Buffy) UNTIL she gets a boyfriend. THEN he's suddenly into her and tries to destroy her relationship too. Even in the last seasons, when he's an adult, he gets upset when he finds out that the 14 year old Dawn doesn't have a crush on him anymore.

It's still a watchable show but that stuff is really jarring, especially given the recent allegations about Joss Whedon.

There’s that and there’s also the episode where a demon lives in the internet and is controlling students using an instant chat service to kill people. 

• Paid Members
On 9/2/2021 at 6:44 PM, scratchdj said:

My wife was obsessed with Queer as Folk when it first aired and made me watch it when we started seeing each at the end of the last century(!).

She put the first couple of episodes on the other day and it was painful to watch.

How so? That's a shame, because I only realised recently how good the cast was so I was going to watch it at some point. Given the narrative of the show, it's something I'd expect not to have aged.

I'd second Buffy. I was never a fan in the first place, but it's aged a lot. My wife binge watched Ghost Whisperer recently and I can't decide whether that has aged terribly (despite only being 15 years old) or whether it's just plain shit. Jennifer Love-Hewitt's awful acting doesn't help. 

Edited by PunkStep

• Awards Moderator

Nicholas Brendon was touring the U.K. not so long ago doing a Q&A and a singalong of the musical episode of Buffy (in which he barely appears). As an awkward teenager I was a big Xander fan but couldn’t summon the willpower to head to South Shields for that Evening With…

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

He's had a rough last 20 years, and I see he was arrested again only last month.

I've rewatched Buffy over the last year with my eldest and its interesting to note her reaction to Xander, who she thinks is an utter loser.

The early series were met with regular cries of "UGH! Give it up Xander" and she just couldn't understand why he persisted with Buffy when she clearly was never interested.

I'll be honest though, if I went to school with her, I might have been the same. 

He's still a decent-ish character, and him with Cordelia and then Anya provide some great comedy to and froing, but yeah the creepiness does prevail.

21 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Nicholas Brendon was touring the U.K. not so long ago doing a Q&A and a singalong of the musical episode of Buffy (in which he barely appears). As an awkward teenager I was a big Xander fan but couldn’t summon the willpower to head to South Shields for that Evening With…

His Q&A is about his struggles, addictions and mental health issues. The nights are designed for people who are struggling to make friends and increase their support network. The singalong is more a fun activity for people to bond over. He does bowling nights for fans as well for the same purpose. He seems like a decent if troubled guy. 

Forgot to mention that one of the funniest things has been the eldests reaction to Xanders clothing.

He genuinely has some of the worst fashion sense ever, and this isn't "90s style that has aged badly" it's just horrendous shirts and jumpers. I thought he looked cool as shit when I was a teen. 

The scene where he walks through as a "hyena" to Far, he still looks like a complete badass though.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I guess it just makes you realise that some of the content probably wouldn’t make it to air now as channels would be too fearful of doing so.

Really? I'd have thought given the intended message of combating homophobia it'd still fit in today, even more so. Its A Sin was widely acclaimed last year. 

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

His Q&A is about his struggles, addictions and mental health issues. The nights are designed for people who are struggling to make friends and increase their support network. The singalong is more a fun activity for people to bond over. He does bowling nights for fans as well for the same purpose. He seems like a decent if troubled guy. 

Oh, that’s great! I had no idea. I saw the ads for it and it very much came across on those as a “clinging on to fame” type deal. Glad I was wrong on that - thanks for the correction.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

My wife binge watched Ghost Whisperer recently and I can't decide whether that has aged terribly (despite only being 15 years old) or whether it's just plain shit. Jennifer Love-Hewitt's awful acting doesn't help. 

It's a fucking terrible show and always was, Jennifer love Hewitt is indeed an awful actor but is crazy hot which is the only reason I'm able to make this informed post about the show.