Best music from computer games

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

There is something special though in GTA when the perfect track comes on at just the right time. Two examples:

- in GTA4 there was a level I was stuck on where after a big shootout you have to escape from the cops and I kept dying. On my 10th attempt I jump in the car and "Jail Break" by Thin Lizzy hits the radio. My heart rate shoots up and I shout out loud "Oh hell fucking yeah it's on now" and completely ace the mission with ease.

- In GTA5 there's a mission where you have to drive to 5 or 6 different spots and kill a target at each one in about 5 minutes. "1 thing" by Amerie comes on straight away and it was just the perfect soundtrack to a crazy mission.

Definitely, and I'm not saying there aren't great moments like that where it adds to the story or atmosphere, but I'm assuming licensed songs aren't in the spirit of the thread and in my opinion gta1 doesn't get the love for putting out songs intended to sound like mainstream hits which were actually good in the execution. Especially as they were written and performed by the guys who spent 10 years making nothing but lemmings and unicycle rally. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

Just from the thumbnail I knew which song it was going to be. It's probably the only one anybody heard because they always tended to pick Brazil. I seem to recall some of the other ones being decent. Sometimes you'd get a different piece of music if you played against that rather strong looking USSR team. 

There was this lesser known one as well. 

Comix Zone had a decent soundtrack, which was either turned into an EP or adapted from a selection of songs by a band called Roadkill, which was either named after or or inspired the name of the pet rat of the main character (Sketch Turner). 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Cold Storage who did the non-licensed music for Wipeout and 2097 remastered a bunch of the songs on two volumes a few years back.

https://coldstorage.bandcamp.com/album/slipstream-the-music-from-wipeout

The PSP version, Wipeout Fusion, had some great tracks from Cold Storage, and there were a few other tracks from guest DJs, including Paul Hartnoll of Orbital (the less prolific of the two brothers).

There's been a load of great stuff posted here, but the one that got stuck in my head recently (despite not really liking much by Paul McCartney) was that music on the 80s game Give My Regards To Broad Street that someone posted a clip of on here recently.

• Paid Members

Odd choice to make a game out of McCartney's "Give My Regard to Broad Street" film but the music's good.

My choice is basically on nostalgia really. It's not a very good song, IMO, but it'll always have a place in my heart. "Goal Scoring Superstar Hero" from "Sensible World of Soccer". First version of the game with the million bugs..

• Paid Members

Glider Rider on the 128k Spectrum had amazing music.  Rock sounds on the motorbike bits that seemlessly moved to calm music when you took to the air.  Revolutionary at the time.

• Paid Members

I love video game music so this thread is great for me, I’ll be working my way through this over the next few weeks

My go to is either the Banjo Kazooie sound track or Mario Sunshine. The music is great but it’s also a warm cuddle of nostalgia and childhood memories. Final Fantasy 14 has some good music if I want something a bit less jaunty. 

Anyway the main reason for posting is to recommend Luci Holland’s weekly video game music show on Scala Radio.  It’s only an hour long but she plays a really good variety. Just go on Scala Radio website and find it on demand.

I listen to Scala pretty much all week when I’m working and it’s amazing how much video game music they play, there’s lots of good stuff out there

18 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Cold Storage who did the non-licensed music for Wipeout and 2097 remastered a bunch of the songs on two volumes a few years back.

https://coldstorage.bandcamp.com/album/slipstream-the-music-from-wipeout

Oh yes! 

Great shout. Cold Storage is some of my favourite house/techno ever. Though I'll always associate Wipeout mostly with Chemical Beats.