Best music from computer games

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Well this follows on well from that.. A game that managed to somehow invoke that same childlike wonder in an adult me. A lovely score that works so well with the game.

I adore the Observatory theme in this and how it grows and gets bigger and more epic the further you get in the game.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

The soundtrack for GTA 1 will always have a place in my heart, there's something about those in house tracks that can't be replaced with rafts of licenced music. 

There is something special though in GTA when the perfect track comes on at just the right time. Two examples:

- in GTA4 there was a level I was stuck on where after a big shootout you have to escape from the cops and I kept dying. On my 10th attempt I jump in the car and "Jail Break" by Thin Lizzy hits the radio. My heart rate shoots up and I shout out loud "Oh hell fucking yeah it's on now" and completely ace the mission with ease.

- In GTA5 there's a mission where you have to drive to 5 or 6 different spots and kill a target at each one in about 5 minutes. "1 thing" by Amerie comes on straight away and it was just the perfect soundtrack to a crazy mission.

• Paid Members

I love every track from the original Street Fighter II arcade cabinet (home ports obviously didn’t do them justice). A CD of the music and SFX came free with the first copy I bought of Nintendo Magazine System in anticipation of the SNES release and I played it to death, to the point I bought another copy off eBay years later when the original was lost or damaged. Stage themes that while all distinctive, feel like they belong together in a way I lack the musical brain to explain. Various other stage themes from the series were almost as good, such as Sakuras from the Alpha series (tweaking of Ryus melody as it was) and Cammys, and the fantastic volcano stage from SFIV. To be fair many of the re-workings of original themes for Alpha 2 (Sagats Australia  especially) and re-recordings for SFIV where superb… actually the whole Alpha 2 soundtrack was brilliant, shame Alpha 3 veered so drastically from that mood.

Reminds me strongly of a Puro theme but I can never remember which.

• Paid Members

This is one of my favourites:

The Streets Of Rage games have some amazing soundtracks. I honestly couldn't pick a single track as a favourite though. Yuzo Koshiro has done some incredible videogame music through the years. 

The Street Fighter 2 score is great, but the reworkings for Alpha 2 and the CPS2 hardware take them to a new level. The arrangements for Street Fighter 4 are also good, but some of them go a little too far in Street Fighter 5. Guile's theme obviously goes with everything:

Props also to Evil Ryu's theme from Alpha 3, and the Shin Akuma theme from Capcom Vs SNK 2.

Jazzy NYC 99 (Alex/Ken's stage) from Street Fighter III Third Strike. I like the way each theme develops and builds from round to round. 

Outrun had a fantastic score. Magical Sound Shower is obviously the one everybody usually thinks of first. 

I'd love to see the SST band live. They've done more greats. 

I could probably do this all day, so I'll stop now. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm having another one. It is my favourite game of all time, but it's also one of the best soundtracks as well.

Yasss! "You are about to embark on the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these past few months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you." Love that game. I think my favourite track on it is Arnhem. It worked perfectly with navigating your way through the desolate ruins of a destroyed city. Here's a game I would love to get remastered on the PS4.  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I used to be obsessed with this back when I was a teenager. Still haven't seen anything done like this since really.

If you're going to play video game tunes, do it on a drum kit hooked up to a synth, one man band style.

There are some great drum covers out there. I don't just mean like this. There's one I remember of a guy drumming along with Windowlicker by Aphex Twin. 

• Paid Members

5 hours ago, Tommy! said:

The soundtrack for GTA 1 will always have a place in my heart, there's something about those in house tracks that can't be replaced with rafts of licenced music. 

"NYPD, LAPD, SFPD... don't fuck with me"

Joyride by Da Shootaz is still the best original song for a video game for me. Fucking belter. And of course, there's the Alabama Bottle Boys. 

Great video game music- man there's been tonnes, especially over the past 10 or so years. Anything from the Zelda games is class, likewise with Fallout. But Skyrim has the best original music for me. I still listen to it now and then, very relaxing. My personal favourite:

Ubisoft have done a great job in recreating Ezio's Family for various Assassin's Creed instalments, but the Odyssey version is the boss for me. 

And finally (for now), another Assassin's Creed one, this time from Valhalla. I fucking love this bit of music that plays when you go pillaging (2:40 onwards when it kicks in). 

4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

There is something special though in GTA when the perfect track comes on at just the right time. Two examples:

- in GTA4 there was a level I was stuck on where after a big shootout you have to escape from the cops and I kept dying. On my 10th attempt I jump in the car and "Jail Break" by Thin Lizzy hits the radio. My heart rate shoots up and I shout out loud "Oh hell fucking yeah it's on now" and completely ace the mission with ease.

- In GTA5 there's a mission where you have to drive to 5 or 6 different spots and kill a target at each one in about 5 minutes. "1 thing" by Amerie comes on straight away and it was just the perfect soundtrack to a crazy mission.

For me with GTA 5 it was doing some mad mission with Trevor and driving back through the hills and “Night Moves” by Bob Saget came on and it’s the thing I think of every time the song comes on. Don’t remember the mission or any other details other than being Trev in a sporty silver car driving over the hills.

Also on RDR2 there’s some fantastic music to fit the mood but there’s a couple of bonus songs I won’t spoil that really stick out.