AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

The show started well with Punk Vs Hobbs, and the trio's match was exciting, with plenty of hateable shenanigans by the Bucks and Jungle Boy looking great (notable, I think, that the worst parts of the match involved Adam Cole, especially down the stretch with Luchasaurus). 

Miro after this was fantastic as usual. The man is a monster and he's bloody great at it. The ATT beat down was a good angle but the match wasn't overly interesting. Nor was the Anna Jay Vs Penelope Ford match. 

The big disappointment though was the main event. Really wasn't very good at all, it just didn't work. Unfortunately I was watching the last 40 minutes of the show with my brother and a friend of his (brother last followed wrestling about 2002 maybe 2003 and his mate doesn't much like AEW). So as is always the case, I found myself in the old situation where what was being offered wasn't going to help with the "why do you watch this shit?" question. 

4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

He’s improved a ton, but it reminds me of when Alex Marquez was originally on the commentary team, out of his depth, and he’s voice is suited to commentary in my opinion. Doesn’t help when all the other commentators are good. Even Kingston has been better on Elevation in my opinion.

I thought he was quite dull at first, but he’s doing a decent job, and would be a significant upgrade from Henry and Jericho. I don’t think you could compare him to Marvez in any way, that’s quite extreme! 

I’m also not sure why you’re saying ‘even’ Kingston has been better - I would expect that Kingston would be a good colour commentator given his level of talent. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume you worded that badly?

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I thought he was quite dull at first, but he’s doing a decent job, and would be a significant upgrade from Henry and Jericho. I don’t think you could compare him to Marvez in any way, that’s quite extreme! 

I’m also not sure why you’re saying ‘even’ Kingston has been better - I would expect that Kingston would be a good colour commentator given his level of talent. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume you worded that badly?

No. He’s superb on the mic, he’s amazing backstage talking to the roster as a bit of a locker room leader. But that doesn’t mean you’ll be great on commentary.  Basically, Kingston can pretty much do it all.

• Paid Members

Here's one I might be alone with. Tazz being on commentary during Will Hobbs matches (and other team Taz guys previously) does my head in. Not only because he's then just cheerleading and it makes for pretty shit commentary but because he should be ringside with them. Bobby Heenan would always "leave the booth" for his guys matches. It was even worse having Starks in there too. If you're going to have a commentary team of thousands, at least cycle them in and out.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Here's one I might be alone with. Tazz being on commentary during Will Hobbs matches (and other team Taz guys previously) does my head in. Not only because he's then just cheerleading and it makes for pretty shit commentary but because he should be ringside with them. Bobby Heenan would always "leave the booth" for his guys matches. It was even worse having Starks in there too. If you're going to have a commentary team of thousands, at least cycle them in and out.

I normally like having Taz on commentary for Team Taz matches, because I think he's genuinely great at making the audience know when what he's saying is outlandish and ridiculous, which most post-Heenan heel commentators have never got right, and you can make the argument that Hook is doing his work for him at ringside. But having Taz and Starks doing the heel commentator act was too much, especially in Team Taz matches.

It was especially noticeable given that Don Callis was ringside for Kenny on Dynamite, and JR made a point of saying that he was there at ringside rather than joining commentary because it was such a big match.

On @BomberPat dropping a Heenan reference, it's something I've been thinking about. Taz now feels so much like Heenan, that I love it. Still serious as a manager when he needs to cut a real promo but on comms can be analytical but obviously genuinely funny in his own quirky world he seems to exist in when he's announcing. His adding 'Jones' to random made up nicknames always amuses me. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

Taz has quietly become a real highlight of the show, and that mix of goofiness and the ability to get serious when he needs to is perfect for the level Team Taz is at - they're Bepop and Rocksteady, the mooks to get beaten up by the star heroes while they wait for a real threat, and that's fine. Taz is a lot like Tony Schiavone in that I think him being great and clearly enjoying himself in AEW lifts the atmosphere of everyone around them and makes the whole show feel more fun and welcoming, but also has led to a more general critical rethinking of their careers - I'm seeing more people rave about Taz in ECW than I have in years, because we're being reminded that he was always brilliant. Seeing him as a manager in AEW just makes me think that he was wasted for so long in Impact, and really in WWE before that - but also, maybe that time out allowed him to grow into the more mature performer he is now.

I think I've said it on here before, but I love that there's a real bitter undercurrent to his character, which explains why he's targeted guys like Christian Cage and CM Punk. He's seeing other people return from being out of the business, or from "career ending" injuries and he's pissed off that he never got that opportunity. I love him getting pissed off at other wrestlers for wearing orange, or wearing towels on their heads, too.

Taz in the booth during his Team's matches adds that level of cover too. As fun as they can be, they are very much a jobber team, but Taz is always there to point out when 'The Plan' goes awry, or when he's supposedly clued his man in to a particular move or situation but he still gets struck with it. It gets the opponent over as having outsmarted him, and puts his Team over as students on a learning curve while keeping them strong. Having a man in the ring, Hook at ringside, and Ricky either with him at the desk or unseen possibly in the wings makes every Team Taz match look like Taz has laid out chess pieces. It's a simple setup that I love.

Taz works because he feels real like Kingston. The undercurrent that he's bitter is exactly what his motivation is. He's great. 

He's gonna cry when he walks Hook out for his first match and 'War Machine' kicks in though. Do it Tony, you coward!