General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

One of the abiding shit influences this infernal franchise has created is that everything has to be a fucking universe now. 

Even though I generally think it's been a bit long in the tooth for years, the recent South Park special Into the Panderverse was a great send up of this notion. 

• Paid Members
On 11/13/2023 at 2:38 PM, DavidB6937 said:

The thing is - it's not all like that. Granted, some of it is and that's a challenge. But the fact that it's perceived to be like that by people is a problem in itself. If there's that thought of 'oh I haven't seen Ms Marvel so I won't bother with this' then it's definitely an issue, even if the film is pretty open to anyone sitting down in front of it and watching it.

Definitely that from my side. I know who Ms Marvel is (loved the comics), but I feel out of the loop on this one. I watched Wandavision (and pretty much stopped watching any of the series there), so I get how Monica became Photon (if she's called that), but now she's connected with Ms Marvel and so is Captain Marvel? I'm assuming there's been set-up that I've missed.

If it was Captain Marvel II or similar, I'd have been there like a shot. But it feels like I don't know who the MCU version of Ms Marvel is, and she's now suddenly involved in interplanetary stuff. And I also don't have much interest in finding out, because I assume I'm behind.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Definitely that from my side. I know who Ms Marvel is (loved the comics), but I feel out of the loop on this one. I watched Wandavision (and pretty much stopped watching any of the series there), so I get how Monica became Photon (if she's called that), but now she's connected with Ms Marvel and so is Captain Marvel? I'm assuming there's been set-up that I've missed.

If it was Captain Marvel II or similar, I'd have been there like a shot. But it feels like I don't know who the MCU version of Ms Marvel is, and she's now suddenly involved in interplanetary stuff. And I also don't have much interest in finding out, because I assume I'm behind.

It pretty much is Captain Marvel 2. You should check out Ms Marvel if you liked the comics, my daughter thought they did a good translation from page to screen on that. But the reason they are thrown together is all explained in the film. The only thing thats mentioned in passing is how Monica got her powers and a bit more on how Ms Marvel got hers (which is key to the mcguffin in this).  

On 11/13/2023 at 5:43 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

One of the abiding shit influences this infernal franchise has created is that everything has to be a fucking universe now. 

I've enjoyed a ton of the MCU stuff, but you are not wrong here.  The problem Marvel has now is born of the success of this approach.  Interconnecting films/tv with returning characters and an over-arching direction is great but only for a certain amount of time.  You'll always have a die hard core of viewers, but over the last 10 years people have got off the train, and once you're off it's hard to get back on because of the ongoing story that you're expected to have seen/remember.

Just as a microcosm, I'm watching Loki S2 and I'm buggered if I can remember the ins and outs of S1, so complex was it, but there's very little in the way of recap or onboarding, so it's just super-confusing and I might not bother to get to the end.

The quality of the films has been on a gentle slope downwards for quite a few years now, as well.  The early Iron Man movies are WAY better than most of the standalone movies now. 

Not sure what the solution is, beyond a bit of a reset.  Not starting again, but just starting some new characters that don't have to intersect with the Avengers. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Chris B said:

The set-up for how the three of them end up connected sort of happens in the film. They only explain it briefly but that does happen. 

• Paid Members

The only good thing about Marvel films is that they open the cinemas earlier for them and they usually put the stuff I want to see early in the morning too so I have time for a Nando's afterwards.

• Paid Members

I thought that The Marvels was absolutely cracking.  Ironically it's one of the films that works pretty much entirely as a standalone story, with things explained well enough in-film, but people are burnt from the last few MCU films having required people to have watched every preceding film and D+ show.

I'm pessimistic enough to think that Disney will learn the wrong lesson from this underperforming at the box office.

7 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I'm pessimistic enough to think that Disney will learn the wrong lesson from this underperforming at the box office.

With all the delays now, next year looks pretty slow for them anyway. It'll be interesting to see what the audience desire is for MCU movies is in a couple of years from now. The slowdown might improve things. But who knows how cinema in itself will perform going forward.