The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Fantastic. Nothing but good vibes all over. A colleague of mine was drafted in at the last minute to help with some additional filming for the FA’s media team and bagged a ticket for the game - I’ve never been so happy for someone personally or professionally to get the chance to see history like that being made. She’s been to away games with them to some weird and wonderful lands and growing up in Norfolk always championed the game there locally. There’s loads of stories like that of people who have followed the girls during the years of growth and progression so I’m made up for all of them. All my mates with daughters who love football, what a moment for them. 

It might not end there - with the staff and infrastructure they have in place they could genuinely win the World Cup as well. That will be even tougher and things will need to keep moving up a gear, but with Sarina at the helm you just feel like anything’s possible. 

The player interviews were the best I’ve ever seen from a team post-match - unfiltered, un-media trained, genuinely delirious with joy, mixed with Lucy Bronze’s northern sass when she was thanked for bringing it home: ‘Yeah, no problem.’

Brilliant sign off from Gabby Logan as well - absolute legend of broadcasting. 

“Fuck off, you fucking prick” ❤️

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Do we not need the 22-23 thread now, given that the EFL season started on Friday past?

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Do we not need the 22-23 thread now, given that the EFL season started on Friday past?

Plus, proper football is back this weekend!

• Paid Members

For the fellow fantasists among you, here's the code for a new FPL league (Fantasy Premier League for the initiated) I've created for the forum. If the old one surfaces between now and Friday then we can always bin it and relocate.

Those with an active social life, look away now. All welcome to join. 

League code: 399c63

The Community Shield hasn't changed my initial draft much - despite my team name I haven't stared with Haaland for the first week, plumping instead for young Harold Kane who will hopefully victimise Southampton's defence, and our lord and saviour Gabriel Jesus of Woolwich Arsenal looks a steal at £8million looking at his pre-season form. Arsenal and Spurs players joining forces up front? Incredulous. 

I've binned off all centre backs and gone for five full backs all with the potential for attacking returns. Keeping an eye on Forest's Neco Williams at 4.0 - potential enabler moving forward though it depends on if Forest can adapt to the rigours of the top flight. Very, very temped to start with a back five just because of the quality on offer. It's basically like having attacking midfields with bigger clean sheet and bonus points. Lovely. 

I'm also keeping a serious eye on Newcastle - ironically despite their new-found wealth off the pitch, the player prices in FPL haven't shot up a great deal, so there's the odd differential in there that might be worth some points. Home to Forest on opening day too. I have morals, but I'm happy to check them at the door for FPL points. 

Still not 100% on my 'keeper. Currently have Mendy in the sticks but tempted to switch for Ramsdale or another depending on fixtures. Mendy at 5.0 though isn't a bad price at all. 

Not expecting a huge amount from the opening weekend - a lot of the big hitters are all playing away from home in some potential banana skin fixtures, so it might be that GW1 doesn't yield as many points as you'd think on paper, but that might even itself out for the following week. The prospect of Haaland terrorising Bournemouth in his home debut is tantilising. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

19 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

For the fellow fantasists among you, here's the code for a new FPL league (Fantasy Premier League for the initiated) I've created for the forum. If the old one surfaces between now and Friday then we can always bin it and relocate.

Those with an active social life, look away now. All welcome to join. 

League code: 399c63

The Community Shield hasn't changed my initial draft much - despite my team name I haven't stared with Haaland for the first week, plumping instead for young Harold Kane who will hopefully victimise Southampton's defence, and our lord and saviour Gabriel Jesus of Woolwich Arsenal looks a steal at £8million looking at his pre-season form. Arsenal and Spurs players joining forces up front? Incredulous. 

I've binned off all centre backs and gone for five full backs all with the potential for attacking returns. Keeping an eye on Forest's Neco Williams at 4.0 - potential enabler moving forward though it depends on if Forest can adapt to the rigours of the top flight. Very, very temped to start with a back five just because of the quality on offer. It's basically like having attacking midfields with bigger clean sheet and bonus points. Lovely. 

I'm also keeping a serious eye on Newcastle - ironically despite their new-found wealth off the pitch, the player prices in FPL haven't shot up a great deal, so there's the odd differential in there that might be worth some points. Home to Forest on opening day too. I have morals, but I'm happy to check them at the door for FPL points. 

Still not 100% on my 'keeper. Currently have Mendy in the sticks but tempted to switch for Ramsdale or another depending on fixtures. Mendy at 5.0 though isn't a bad price at all. 

Not expecting a huge amount from the opening weekend - a lot of the big hitters are all playing away from home in some potential banana skin fixtures, so it might be that GW1 doesn't yield as many points as you'd think on paper, but that might even itself out for the following week. The prospect of Haaland terrorising Bournemouth in his home debut is tantilising. 

Nice work man, up to 8 already! 

Still messing with my team. I am same as you I feel week 1 most of my boys are away, but we should see points start flowing after that.

Debating to start with Darwin up top with Jesus. 9mil could be a decent price and if he hauls big the first weeks especially with Liverpools first 6 fixtures could be wise to have him before a price rise. 

Do Liverpool fans think he is going be starting after his showing from the bench in the community sheild? 

Forgot to mention if you didn't know it's unlimited transfers during the world cup so can use your wild card early this year! 

Edited by thevestofdeanambrose

• Paid Members

So, that asinine trope of “the women brought it home before the men” that’s going around has prompted an equally ridiculous number of replies from fragile male egos about how 1966 actually happened before 2022… but it’s making me laugh because surely, we all are supposed to know football didn’t start until 1992?? Can’t have it both ways, Wazza.

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Just tell them that the reason the ladies did what the men haven’t been able to do for so long is because women are mentally tougher than men, that’ll set them off, because it’s true.

It's also because women's football is shit. 

3 hours ago, David said:

It's also because women's football is shit. 

If by "shit" you mean "systematically held back for at least half a century because a bunch of misogynists were frightened that it might prove just as popular as the men's game" then yes, I agree.