The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

13 hours ago, PunkStep said:

They've not bought a single player in yet, have they? Newcastle want Maddison, they need a decent keeper, Lookman has gone back to his parent club, others are eyeing up Tielemans and Fofana, Vardy isn't getting younger, Soyuncu isn't as good as everyone thought and Soumare was a disappointment. This is going to be a very poor season for them. 

Vardy has admitted (to someone I know) that he's pretty much done. It's taking him 3-4 days to recover from a game. 

Leicester are fucked this season. 

33 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Vardy has admitted (to someone I know) that he's pretty much done. It's taking him 3-4 days to recover from a game. 

I’d be very wary about a Vardy sharing personal information. 

• Paid Members
On 8/1/2022 at 1:47 PM, Fatty Facesitter said:

League code: 399c63

Reminder on the FPL code for anyone who missed it last time - 11 entries last time I checked so plenty of room for more. Two more and we'll have more entries than the top tier in Scotland and surely that would make it more prestigious? 

Also to avoid clogging up this thread, will move FPL-related chat into what was formally the predictions league thread in a landmark merger deal struck with @Fog Dude - the biggest merger since AOL and Time Warner. 

Back on topic - Clavert-Lewin going down with injury again is another big worry for Everton. That's an even tastier fixture now for Chelsea to hit the ground running for the new term. I don't think they'll go down - I think Lampard might depart before the season concludes if they start poorly but someone may come along and rescue them. 

In what is always a fool's errand, this is what I'm currently predicting the table to look like at the end of the season. 

1 - Liverpool
2 - Manchester City
3 - Tottenham 
4 - Arsenal
5 - Chelsea
6 - Manchester United
7 - Newcastle
8 - Aston Villa
9 - Wolves
10 - Crystal Palace
11 - West Ham
12 - Brighton
13 - Brentford
14 - Everton
15 - Leicester 
16 - Southampton
17 - Fulham
18 - Leeds
19 - Bournemouth
20 - Nottingham Forest

Some rogue picks there and quite tough to call the race for the top four - every team has bolstered their squads considerably. I fancy Leeds to struggle after losing two of their key men, and I think Bournemouth and Forest will find it too much of a step up. Fulham to survive as Mitrovic bags just enough goals to keep them safe to compensate for a weak backline. 

Liverpool to win the league as Salah, Trent, Nunez and co boss the league from the off. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

In what is always a fool's errand, this is what I'm currently predicting the table to look like at the end of the season. 

1 - Manchester City
2 - Liverpool
3 - Arsenal
4 - Spurs
5 - Chelsea
6 - West Ham
7 - Aston Villa
8 - Manchester United
9 - Crystal Palace
10 - Newcastle
11 - Brentford
12 - Wolves
13 - Brighton
14 - Everton
15 - Leicester 
16 - Leeds
17 - Nottingham Forest
18 - Fulham
19 - Southampton
20 - Bournemouth

Bit of fun doing this and seeing how many, if any, we can get right by the end. 

I've amended the quote box with my changes. 

I don't think Liverpool are stronger, but I don't think they are particularly worse looking on paper, for the course of a season. 

Man City have added enough that I think they'll pip Liverpool to the post again. 

Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal I see as a pack and could turn them around in any order depending on how I'm feeling that moment. Last season before the start I thought Chelsea had the squad to be in a title challenge right to the end. On paper, I think they look worse than this time last year, whilst the other two have bolstered their squads nicely. I don't see many points separating them. 

Manchester United are a disaster. I have them in 8th as if Ronaldo doesn't feel like it, I don't see any goals in that team. Don't get me started on Anthony Martial suddenly playing himself back into a potential starting place. The midfield is still completely bereft of any actual central midfield quality, creatively or defensively.

At the bottom end, the seven I have chosen could be a crapshoot. I actually think a few of them could have more goals in the ranks than say Brighton and Wolves, but those two teams will be much more defensively solid than I expect the likes of Everton, Southampton or Fulham to be. 

Villa through Brentford, in whatever order you like, seems like my clear middle of the packers. Probably won't ever be in danger of going down, but not likely to be really in the chase for sixth past February.