The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

Being a Cov fan means you’ve built up quite the tolerance for shame over the years but to postpone your first home game of the season because of the state of the pitch, that’s a new one. 

7 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Being a Cov fan means you’ve built up quite the tolerance for shame over the years but to postpone your first home game of the season because of the state of the pitch, that’s a new one. 

Drawing a lot of ire from Sunderland fans, I must say. After the sandpit we were made to play on for half of last season.

Mind there’s a lot of hatred from Sunderland fans in general towards Coventry after last week (coupled with the previous visit of your fans) with the usual throwing flares and a couple of pricks throwing glass shards of broken Heineken bottles down onto our North stand - which is the family area. Somehow only one person was hit and a large chunk of a bottle landed where two young kids would usually be sitting but thankfully they weren’t at the game due to being on holiday.

Nothing more repulsive in football than the weekend warriors all coked out of their heads throwing bottles and coins to innocent unsuspecting fans below. It’s the minority that tarnish it for everyone else and it’s due to those actions last week that the club is having to fork out £15K on a safety net enclosed around away fans like you get in other European leagues.

Sorry for the mini-rant, it’s just infuriating after seeing that up close last week. Really soured the occasion of the first game of the season when you’re having to keep looking behind you in fear.

Not looking to deflect blame, all away fans should be lower tier, or lower and upper tier above each other. It’s crazy thst there is the opportunity to throw stuff down at away fans. I’m surprised they’re not throwing piss down. 

Fully agree, it’s beyond luck that something even worse hasn’t happened yet.

My understanding is that there’s a ton of red tape involved from Northumbria Police that would make moving the fans back to the lower bowl a nightmare.

Are Sunderland and Newcastle the only teams that have away fans in the upper bowl? 

53 minutes ago, METAL ON METAL said:

Are Sunderland and Newcastle the only teams that have away fans in the upper bowl? 

I haven't been for years but I am sure the away fans at Old Trafford are upper, as I'm sure below it is the concourse for accessibility (wheelchairs etc) 

I can't ever remember being in the lower bit there, or seeing away fans in there either.

6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I haven't been for years but I am sure the away fans at Old Trafford are upper, as I'm sure below it is the concourse for accessibility (wheelchairs etc) 

I can't ever remember being in the lower bit there, or seeing away fans in there either.

Everyone at Old Trafford is an away fan YES FOLKS NEW SEASON SAME JOKES!!!!

4 hours ago, METAL ON METAL said:

Mind there’s a lot of hatred from Sunderland fans in general towards Coventry after last week (coupled with the previous visit of your fans) with the usual throwing flares and a couple of pricks throwing glass shards of broken Heineken bottles down onto our North stand - which is the family area. Somehow only one person was hit and a large chunk of a bottle landed where two young kids would usually be sitting but thankfully they weren’t at the game due to being on holiday.

Proper football. The Sunderland Cov hatred goes back to when Jimmy Hill orchestrated a delay on the final day so that Cov and their opponent (Possibly Bristol City) would know if Sunderland won and would stay up. Because they didn’t, both Cov and Bristol were safe and played out their draw by just passing the ball about without taking a shot for the last half hour. Absolute elite shithousing. 

I see that not content with shitposting every Friday night, the dog botherer has taken over the Fulham Twitter account to troll as well, after Klopp claimed the pitch was dry.

TK was also in hot water as the prices this season for Fulham are a bit eye watering. I'm sure their top end (£90) is right at the top and might even be the most expensive (pretty sure Spurs is/was)

I know they have a whole stand closed at present, but bloody hell. 

Oh, and Dejan Kulusevski is winning the Balon D'Or. 

• Paid Members

Don't worry United fans, seeing as playing a 30 year old midfielder as a false nine might not work, the club are trying to sign Arnautovic (the poundshop Zlatan) to lead the line. 

Honestly, this club are going to struggle to finish in the top half this season aren't they?

They'll need either a lot of recruitment or a miracle of coaching to make the top 6.  Martinez looked a bit shaky but will be good for them over time. Not sure how you solve the problem of having to play the likes of Fred, McTominay and Maguire though. Garner is a possible option at number 6 but there doesn't seem to be any real depth elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

From the brief googling I’ve done, apart from rare occasions Man Utd give the away team a massive allocation, away fans appear to be lower bowl (South-East corner) next to the accessibility area.

5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Proper football. The Sunderland Cov hatred goes back to when Jimmy Hill orchestrated a delay on the final day so that Cov and their opponent (Possibly Bristol City) would know if Sunderland won and would stay up. Because they didn’t, both Cov and Bristol were safe and played out their draw by just passing the ball about without taking a shot for the last half hour. Absolute elite shithousing. 

Oh I’m well aware, as soon as we were out of the womb we were taught to hate Chinny Hill. On the day he died, the pubs in Sunderland were heaving with older fans celebrating the fact - bit extreme, but then again I wasn’t alive when it all happened in 1977.

It was indeed Bristol City, funnily enough our first two games this season were against those two.