The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

That’s my code I think lad. 

Not to worry, will keep the one I created open - winner gets a free chippy tea on me. And if I win…I’ll buy my own!

Sorry, misread and got my wires crossed!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Duke said:

Chelsea have moved into the supermarket sweep stage of the transfer window early this season. 

Frenkie De Jong's agent playing 3D chess by saying Chelsea are making a bit. Nothing will make Barca want him more.

The term is 4D chess Dukey! But that's an interesting point that I hadn't considered- making eyes at Chelsea because then Barca would want him more. Ingenious. 

Surely, surely Man Utd should stop fucking about now and focus on another target instead. The club is so poorly run on the football side it's unreal. I see Ten Hag has told the media that he wasn't happy about players leaving the friendly VS Rayo Vallecano early the other day. Then you have Dean Henderson having a pop at them after wasting a year of his career. They still need far more than a change of manager to fix their issues. Also, does it help having Fergie lurking around all the fucking time?

• Paid Members

De Jong would be a weird buy, marginal upgrade on Jorginho at best. I'd probably take it given the difference in their ages, but I hope it doesn't come at the expense of the defensive cover we need.

I get the feeling we must have a good amount of sales realistically in motion now if we're really in for De Jong.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

In a story that sounds too good to be true but actually is, Southend sold naming rights to each of their stands to local businesses and, as this legit screenshot I took this morning shows, they didn't quite think it through.

Screenshot_4.png

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Why is Kasper Schmeichel off to Nice? Surely he’s too good for the farmers league. At worse you’d think City or Chelsea would make him a high priced no2.

Last big-money move and pay bump of his career - another chance to play in Europe as well (even if it is the Conference League). 

Another theory I have is that he sees Leicester as a bit of a sinking ship - no new players signed this summer, the likes of Maddison being courted for big money, Vardy isn’t getting any younger - maybe he sees the writing on the wall?

I think Leicester are an outside bet for a relegation battle this season. They’ve got a tidy group of players, but if a rot sets in you wonder if they might get sucked into the dogfight. Schmeichel’s a big loss. 

• Paid Members

They've not bought a single player in yet, have they? Newcastle want Maddison, they need a decent keeper, Lookman has gone back to his parent club, others are eyeing up Tielemans and Fofana, Vardy isn't getting younger, Soyuncu isn't as good as everyone thought and Soumare was a disappointment. This is going to be a very poor season for them. 

• Paid Members

I'm trying to work out which way round it is. So they need to sell to buy (in which case why are they faffing with tielemabs and maddison?) Or do they want to but before they sell?

1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Last big-money move and pay bump of his career - another chance to play in Europe as well (even if it is the Conference League). 

Another theory I have is that he sees Leicester as a bit of a sinking ship - no new players signed this summer, the likes of Maddison being courted for big money, Vardy isn’t getting any younger - maybe he sees the writing on the wall?

I think Leicester are an outside bet for a relegation battle this season. They’ve got a tidy group of players, but if a rot sets in you wonder if they might get sucked into the dogfight. Schmeichel’s a big loss. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Schmeichel was one of their top earners and they just wanted his salary gone and may look to loan someone far cheaper in. They have money troubles, didn't they lose £60m last season? They are the only club in Europe's top 5 leagues to not sign a player yet. 

To be honest I'm surprised Rodgers hasn't left, because I see Leicester being near the bottom. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Duke said:

I'm trying to work out which way round it is. So they need to sell to buy (in which case why are they faffing with tielemabs and maddison?) Or do they want to but before they sell?

Apparently they need to raise funds if they want to sign anyone because of FFP (Ha, that's still a thing?!), so they'll need their pre-2016 levels of scouting back to stand a chance of not falling to shit.