7 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Congratulations on your point from 2 games. Celebrating a draw is poor though. Its meant to be the finest teams in Europe. Especially when you've drawn against though fucking English bastards. 

While you're looking at permutations if you salvage a draw from Croatia (unlikely), I can watch the Italy game happy in the knowledge that we're essentially through and a loss gives us a better route. 

With the population you have, the TV money for your professional league which filters into the international set up you should be getting results like this all the while. 

Fuck Joe Jordan and Big Jock Knew. Its probably what killed him. 

"Hello...touched a nerve? Something's afoot. Let's see if I can winkle it out with my winkle-pickers."

spacer.png

The state of you. What a joyless post.

2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

It was the type of game that reminds me that football is supposed to be entertainment

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

It reminded me of a game on FIFA where you have a gold team with a low chemistry against a bronze team with a 100% chemistry. Was really hoping the scotch would win but a point for one of the minnows against one of the top teams is always good to see. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

With the population you have, the TV money for your professional league which filters into the international set up you should be getting results like this all the while. 

That's a good point that I've never realised before, and shows just how well the FAW have done to develop the national team, despite the lack of a quality league structure(when was the last Welsh league player to get a look in?)...

Some strange selections last night, I was convinced that by taking THAT many full backs we would be 3 at the back and one of those would be encouraged to get forward. Maybe TAA missing nixed that idea, but now with a flat 4 seems even more strange. 

Shaw and Trippier having each started on the left ahead of Chilwell who I think is the most deserving is odd to me. Only thing I can think here is similar to how Hoddle handled Beckham in '98 by dropping him for Anderton (who always seemed to miraculously find form and fitness every 2 years) and then going with him from the third group game on (in a more central role with him now fired up! Wonder how that went?).

Chilwell is no game changer like a Beckham, but his runs in the FA Cup and Champions League Final offer something that Shaw can't and Trippier can't top on the left. 

Scotland were always going to defend deep, so Grealish and Foden's skills would be perfect you'd have thought. Maybe Southgate doesn't want to unleash them properly too early? Swapping one for the other when Foden was still being progressive at least made no sense to me. 

Sterling has this bad habit of running into dead ends constantly, surely should have made way for Rashford early in the second half. 

Kane I'm sure would be better suited by having Rashford over Sterling now, in that Sterling is there to feed Kane yet doesn't, but Rashford would stretch the defence like Son and open space for Kane. Everything last night was so tight.

One big thing is that this match created ZERO momentum, we'd need to spank Czech Republic now to be somewhat rolling for the knockouts. 

19 minutes ago, Mark Impact said:

Some strange selections last night, I was convinced that by taking THAT many full backs we would be 3 at the back and one of those would be encouraged to get forward. Maybe TAA missing nixed that idea, but now with a flat 4 seems even more strange. 

Shaw and Trippier having each started on the left ahead of Chilwell who I think is the most deserving is odd to me. Only thing I can think here is similar to how Hoddle handled Beckham in '98 by dropping him for Anderton (who always seemed to miraculously find form and fitness every 2 years) and then going with him from the third group game on (in a more central role with him now fired up! Wonder how that went?).

Chilwell is no game changer like a Beckham, but his runs in the FA Cup and Champions League Final offer something that Shaw can't and Trippier can't top on the left. 

Scotland were always going to defend deep, so Grealish and Foden's skills would be perfect you'd have thought. Maybe Southgate doesn't want to unleash them properly too early? Swapping one for the other when Foden was still being progressive at least made no sense to me. 

Sterling has this bad habit of running into dead ends constantly, surely should have made way for Rashford early in the second half. 

Kane I'm sure would be better suited by having Rashford over Sterling now, in that Sterling is there to feed Kane yet doesn't, but Rashford would stretch the defence like Son and open space for Kane. Everything last night was so tight.

One big thing is that this match created ZERO momentum, we'd need to spank Czech Republic now to be somewhat rolling for the knockouts. 

Agree with the parts in Bold. Chirwell/Walker would have added pace going forward (Walker not even on the bench). I thought Shaw/Reece-James were too safe, in a team with Phillips & Rice Southgate focusing more on protecting than attacking.

Also didn't realise how poor Pickford is on the ball, must have taken him about 30 seconds to release the ball every time it was in his hands, you could see how stressed/indecisive he was, whether that's Pickford being Pickford or lack of movement its games like this you realise why top teams want goalkeepers who can pass/release the ball quickly. 

Edited by Briefcase

29 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Also didn't realise how poor Pickford is on the ball, must have taken him about 30 seconds to release the ball every time it was in his hands, you could see how stressed/indecisive he was, whether that's Pickford being Pickford or lack of movement its games like this you realise why top teams want goalkeepers who can pass/release the ball quickly. 

I still think England focus too much on this, and teams know and try to exploit how we play out from the back. I'd love to see us mix it up, and even playing from the back against Scotland played us into the trouble we had breaking them down, we have them far too much time to get set to repel our attacks. 

England have options like few times before yet we are still one dimensional. 

Forgot to mention though in my previous post, Scotland played well, they had a game plan but without every man committing to it it wouldn't have worked. I'll be fully behind them against Croatia (as I was against the Czech Republic) and hope they make history and overcome the group stages for the first time ever.  

Ps.

ITV calling Gilmour being off the pace and needing support through the game yet him being hailed as the man of the match elsewhere shows them up as clueless. 

I've always hated their commentary and package overall. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

That's a good point that I've never realised before, and shows just how well the FAW have done to develop the national team, despite the lack of a quality league structure(when was the last Welsh league player to get a look in?)...

The great Gary Lloyd of Barry Town! https://www.exposport.co.uk/2018/09/23/testimonial-at-jenner-park-for-barry-town-favourite-gary-lloyd/

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

Well, the scotch don’t have the benefit of bordering some of the best club teams in Europe(and Everton). Any good players from this part of Wales are quickly snapped up by Liverpool, Everton and United. Any that slip through the net like Danny Ward are soon picked up. That being said it is mad that Scotland haven’t developed a proper world class player in fuck knows how many years until Kloppo did it for them.

• Paid Members

Scotland should have won.

The difference in budget and population and where the respective players play means fuck all when you have the best chances of the game, play better, and come out with a draw. The reality is that England are through with one game to go and Scotland have to beat Croatia. And if Croatia play like they did in the second half against Czech Republic, Scotland have no chance. So then it will be x more years of listening to everyone bleat on about Brave Scotland and their Passion, which ultimately counts for absolutely nothing.

And the Wales comparison is entirely fair. They've already proved, arguably, Euro 2016 was no fluke by qualifying with one game to play. Meanwhile, most of Scotland are celebrating a draw against one of the worst England performances in years.

• Paid Members

Well that was a turn up for the books. I had an earphone in and radio coverage on at the supermarket and when they Hungarian goal went in I nearly gave Mrs Jazzy a heart attack celebrating. When that French goal went in I was concerned that its be the first of several like against Portugal and stopped listening.

If Germany can somehow beat Portugal tonight I guess we have to channel the spirit of '54 in the final group game. By which I mean the group stages, not the final... 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

By which I mean the group stages, not the final... 

20210524_132729.thumb.jpg.b9e05e486c73fdaf1c353e9432bc6d65.jpg

In the first 10 mins, Hungary pressed very high and went for it. It was wonderful to see, as you normally see lesser teams sit deep straight away. Good for them. Shame they couldn't win, but they've given them a good chance of progressing if they can stun Germany.

I've been impressed with Hungary, given they are in that horrible group, it took a crazy 10 minutes (where they took the lead before having chalked off rightly for offside) against Portugal and grabbing a point today against one of the favourites for the tournament. I can't see them increasing the points tally still but they've not been the whipping boys and given the opposition a game at least.