• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I think it is, very negative tactics. Not making subs to try and attack to win games. Starting line ups have been fairly negative too, especially against the Czechs. 

Are you sure you're not talking about England?

• Paid Members

We were out at the groups as soon as that team was announced against Czech. Our tactics for all three games were to get the ball to Tierney or Robertson and hoof it up to Dykes, far too predictable and didn’t once look like it was going to bear fruit. 

Still, positive signs are there in terms of development. Would’ve been good to see Turnbull and Patterson get a chance. O’Donnell played well against England but he’s nowhere near good enough to play the wingback role opposite Robertson. 

Edited by stumobir

16 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

That was pathetic. Armstrong is dreadful, Turnbull or Fraser should have started above him and he stayed on for 70 minutes despite being gash. McKenna ahead of Cooper, Jesus. What's with the boner for Dykes, he's half rate? 

Clarke played for a draw in all 3 matches, even when a win was needed. Qualifying through penalty shoot outs against Serbia and Israel really covers up the the pish you see. 

The very fact that Dykes has been the main striker for us hints at where the problem lies. We don't have someone who can stick the ball in the net.

19 shots against the Czechs opposed to their 10. 11 shots against England opposed to their 9. 11 shots against Croatia, which they matched. Our problem is up front. The rest of the team, when most are fit and available, is perfectly fine.

The difference we'd have seen had a match-fit Leigh Griffiths been available, for example, would have been interesting. The only criticism I could level at Clarke, and I said this to my old man before a ball was kicked, is that I'd have taken Griffiths and/or Shankland, even if it was to stick them on as a sub after 70 minutes or so. 

But all this chatter about Armstrong playing instead of Turnbull, or McKenna playing ahead of Cooper is nonsense. If you think playing Fraser and Cooper would have changed that game then you're mental.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, David said:

19 shots against the Czechs opposed to their 10. 11 shots against England opposed to their 9. 11 shots against Croatia, which they matched. Our problem is up front. The rest of the team, when most are fit and available, is perfectly fine.

Another reason why I'm baffled by accusations of 'negative tactics'. Normally I avoid watching Scotland like the plague, they're almost as bad as fucking Sweden, but I watched all three of their games this time round and largely enjoyed them all. It's a far cry from when they used to play nobody up front. A bit like England are doing now, actually.

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Another reason why I'm baffled by accusations of 'negative tactics'. Normally I avoid watching Scotland like the plague, they're almost as bad as fucking Sweden, but I watched all three of their games this time round and largely enjoyed them all. It's a far cry from when they used to play nobody up front. A bit like England are doing now, actually.

The negative tactics chat is mostly down to frustration I think. Fans are upset that we finally qualified then proceeded to blow it. But the facts are there for all to see. This wasn't a negative, defensive Scotland side. We played two games with what some would consider two actual forwards in the starting lineup, in an era when a lot of teams play with one. 

It was the quality of those forwards that was the main problem, not the tactics or approach.

Christ, some good final game drama in group E, and one England fans should follow closely as the quarter final berth looks very winnable now, if we can get past the last 16.

It will require England to put in their one "performance" a  tournament to get there, and maybe we can at least say we aren't burnt out or have played every card yet. 

I'm blindly optimistic of course, but I prefer it to being pessimistic and going "I told you so" after each exit. 

• Paid Members

We did so much better than I expected us to ever do in that group, and that was a heck of a match but at the end of the day we just didn't have the stamina to hang against three of the best teams in the world. Some of those second round matches are looking really tasty. Portugal Vs Belgium, anybody? 

• Paid Members

Well done to Hungary. I think most people expected that they wouldn't get a single point from this group but in the end France and Germany couldn't beat them and it was only thanks to a late flurry from Portugal (and a somewhat deceiving scoreline) that they didn't remain unbeaten. They were going through tonight until the 84th minute or so and gave the Germans quite the scare. Their matches in Budapest also provided a cracking atmosphere. 

They might be out but their heads should be held high. Some performance that!

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Paid Members

Germany is a hell of a game this early in the knockouts but if England can get through, that half of the draw is looking more appealing. The "top" half has Belgium, Italy, France, Portugal and Spain. 

Our half is:

Sweden/Ukraine v England/Germany 

Holland/Czech Rep v Wales/Denmark 

Absolutely wide open.