Billie Kay and Mickie James released (+ others)

I Bent My Wookie

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Drake Maverick is an insincere Thunderbird puppet-looking arsehole who I can happily go without seeing ever again. At least we were spared a video of him forcing tears out this time.

That’s an awful thing to say. It was the lead puppet in Team America World Police.

Also i remember pre rockstar spud on the indies. Always a lovely guy. Even when he went to Impact he was still lovely back stage. He is a real talent I think.

• Paid Members

Swerve Scott was North American champion so recently that I still thought he had it on the main roster. He’ll be fine though. Don’t really know much about the rest of Hit Row. But they almost got the Sanity treatment. At least they were kept around for ages before being split up and slowly being released over time. 

Real shame about Nox. Would love to see her in AEW. And hopefully stays healthy and injury free. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

What's the story here? Or you just don't like him in general?

I met him 5/6 times back when he was king of the indies over here, and everytime found him to be an utter arsehole. Saying that, everybody else I've spoke to has said he's lovely and a gent so maybe he just didn't like me!

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Swerve Scott was North American champion so recently

I hadn't considered this, so that means the last two North American champions in a row (before Carmelo Hayes) have both been let go. Crazy. 

More than individuals, be it Triple H or Michael Cole, it feels like the big change Khan has brought with him is decision by algorithim.

Hit Row just isn't the sort of release they'd have ever made before, same with Wyatt and Strowman. 

Anyone close to the product, who may know the industry or have built relationships with the talent, seems to have been removed from making business decisions. Which I guess is a double edged sword in that you remove any jobs-for-the-ones-i-like/conflict of interest stuff, but you potentially cut people straight from TV who can walk in hot to other companies.

I bet they've got a piece of software that calculates long term financial value to the company (based on perceived talent ceiling) minus contractual outlay. I'd bet my life that it's some version of that and anyone that isn't 'worth' a profit is in danger.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

More than individuals, be it Triple H or Michael Cole, it feels like the big change Khan has brought with him is decision by algorithim.

Hit Row just isn't the sort of release they'd have ever made before, same with Wyatt and Strowman. 

Anyone close to the product, who may know the industry or have built relationships with the talent, seems to have been removed from making business decisions. Which I guess is a double edged sword in that you remove any jobs-for-the-ones-i-like/conflict of interest stuff, but you potentially cut people straight from TV who can walk in hot to other companies.

I bet they've got a piece of software that calculates long term financial value to the company (based on perceived talent ceiling) minus contractual outlay. I'd bet my life that it's some version of that and anyone that isn't 'worth' a profit is in danger.

That's actually a really interesting point - it's like how Netflix have cancelled a bunch of shows with dedicated fanbases, but may not have achieved the kind of cut-through and profitability for them to deem it worth making more.

5 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Is Ziggler being paid in sandwiches then? I'm surprised he hasn't been let go at this point.

Is there anything we are missing with the releases, something like anyone who has dropped the slightest risque tweet or social media post. Could the algorithm be about the demographics of who is googling certain wrestlers? Trying to refocus the product on wrestlers kids and parents like?

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Spud and Morrison to Impact again. Strickland to AEW. Not really sure on the rest.

There's plenty of room for a manager in Impact and Spud would be ideal. I'm more of a Taya than John Morrison fan, but they probably come as a package and there's a ready made feud between them and Cardona/Chelsea Green if they went down that road.

That said, Impact's roster is pretty stacked for a company that only generates slightly more than two hours of product a week, so can't see many of them ending up there. 

Let's be honest, none of them are needle movers and its not like AEW doesn't already have a ridiculously bloated roster already. 

Edited by garynysmon

8 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Is Ziggler being paid in sandwiches then? I'm surprised he hasn't been let go at this point.

Is there anything we are missing with the releases, something like anyone who has dropped the slightest risque tweet or social media post. Could the algorithm be about the demographics of who is googling certain wrestlers? Trying to refocus the product on wrestlers kids and parents like?

Yeah, the way i've seen it work elsewhere is to take value as a holistic term and 'calculate' things like social media figures, google search trends, TV ratings as well as things like merch or what other hard revenue streams they might impact

It's used in other individual sports, so I see no reason why it couldn't be applied in the WWE.

For me, it's a rejection of the Triple H style of management rather than Triple H himself. The grip and grin photos on instagram between talent and management are probably a thing of the past.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Also i remember pre rockstar spud on the indies. Always a lovely guy. Even when he went to Impact he was still lovely back stage. He is a real talent I think.

Couple of times I met him he seemed a bit of a cunt, but then he hasn't raped or robbed anyone so I guess he's one if the nicest guys by default.

Edited by Tommy!