theringmaster Posted January 9, 2025 Posted January 9, 2025 The 'Catch' thing has always annoyed me. It sort of become trendy when the whole Britwres explosion happened about a decade ago, the term is used in Europe because of how the word 'wrestling' translates but in the UK, and now USA, it has become a general term for technical wrestling. Honestly lose my rag when i see some random Britwres worker described as a good catch wrestler because they know how to do a wristlock reversal and don't wear kneepads. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2025 15 minutes ago, theringmaster said: The 'Catch' thing has always annoyed me. It sort of become trendy when the whole Britwres explosion happened about a decade ago, the term is used in Europe because of how the word 'wrestling' translates but in the UK, and now USA, it has become a general term for technical wrestling. See also "lucha" for a style influenced by Mexican wrestling even though "lucha" is just a Spanish word for fight, and "Puro" for Japanese wrestling - being short for "Puroresu" which is an abbreviation of a bastardization of a Nipponese pronouncing professional wrestling - "purofessional wresulingu" or similar. Going back a bit, obviously. All the words we misappropriate to refer to a style of wrestling ultimately all just mean... wrestling. 21 minutes ago, theringmaster said: Honestly lose my rag when i see some random Britwres worker described as a good catch wrestler because they know how to do a wristlock reversal and don't wear kneepads. See also "Strong Style" which refers to a very specific style of wrestling popularized by New Japan many moons ago, but now thrown around about any idiots hitting each other particularly hard without any regard for what it really means. Quote
theringmaster Posted January 9, 2025 Posted January 9, 2025 10 minutes ago, air_raid said: See also "lucha" for a style influenced by Mexican wrestling even though "lucha" is just a Spanish word for fight, and "Puro" for Japanese wrestling - being short for "Puroresu" which is an abbreviation of a bastardization of a Nipponese pronouncing professional wrestling - "purofessional wresulingu" or similar. Going back a bit, obviously. All the words we misappropriate to refer to a style of wrestling ultimately all just mean... wrestling. See also "Strong Style" which refers to a very specific style of wrestling popularized by New Japan many moons ago, but now thrown around about any idiots hitting each other particularly hard without any regard for what it really means. This might be my fav post ever in UKFF history. Right little history lesson here that every wrestler (and any serious fan) should read. 'Strong style' was honestly the worst two words to ever happen in British Wrestling; bunch of kids who discovered Japanese Wrestling 3 months prior, stiffing each other and having their name in Japanese on their Twitter handle. The biggest irony is Strong Style was a work just as much as any other style but some people are not ready for that conversation. I think you do sum it up best when you say it all means wrestling and every country 'style' is all chasing the same goal. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2025 Just now, theringmaster said: 'Strong style' was honestly the worst two words to ever happen in British Wrestling; bunch of kids who discovered Japanese Wrestling 3 months prior, stiffing each other and having their name in Japanese on their Twitter handle. The irony being that the "Strong Style" berks usually like to do a lot of silly head drops, when Strong Style was actually about strikes and submissions. Kings Road is doubtless what influenced them all more, especially when you watch them copying the biggest moves of Kobashi, Musawa and Kawada, if not out-and-out duplicating sequences from their famous matches. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted January 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2025 31 minutes ago, theringmaster said: Strong style' was honestly the worst two words to ever happen in British Wrestling Yeah but tubby, noodle armed short arses like Trent Severn being BRITISH STRONG STYLE was very funny. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2025 (edited) One thing I noticed about NXT was there were a few jobber entrances. Is this normal or has it snuck in with Netflix? Edited January 9, 2025 by Devon Malcolm Quote
Paid Members JNLister Posted January 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2025 5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: One thing I noticed about NXT was there were a few jobber entrances. Is this normal or has it snuck in with Netflix? Technically nobody on the show should have been a full-on jobber as it was a special episode (the NXT equivalent of an old-style SNME or Clash, one step down from when they do a standalone NXT show at the weekend that's their equivalent of a PPV). I don't watch the entire show enough to be 100% on this, but even on normal TV weeks, you rarely get matches where it's an actual jobber who is already in the ring when the cameras come to the match. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted January 9, 2025 Posted January 9, 2025 Gave New Years Evil a try after having not watched NXT for quite some time. Holy fuck Booker T is an annoying bastard. He’s never been great, but he was fucking horrific on this show. I thought Nigel McGuinness and his crowbarring of “quid pro quo” into every show was bad (I’m still not convinced he knows what it actually means), but Booker T has proper fuck off heat. This is the first time I’ve ever seen Giulia wrestle. It was a fine match but nothing fantastic. She has a great look I’ll give her that much. Stephane Vaquer I have seen a few times and she’s great, can’t believe Tony Khan just let WWE swoop in and sign her after Forbidden Door last year. Oba Femi, nice long title run for him please. I’m assuming that Trick Williams (and Roxanne Perez having dropped her belt) will be in the Rumble. The Rock has had the most TV time out of anyone in WWE this week and has said absolutely fuck all in any of it. If I can work NXT back into my regular viewing I might stick with it, but I might have to switch to some different audio Quote
The Dart Posted January 9, 2025 Posted January 9, 2025 2 hours ago, JNLister said: Technically nobody on the show should have been a full-on jobber as it was a special episode (the NXT equivalent of an old-style SNME or Clash, one step down from when they do a standalone NXT show at the weekend that's their equivalent of a PPV). I don't watch the entire show enough to be 100% on this, but even on normal TV weeks, you rarely get matches where it's an actual jobber who is already in the ring when the cameras come to the match. Kelani Jordan and Cora Jade were the only ones and both at the same time and that was just a time thing I would assume. Quote
TheAdder Posted January 9, 2025 Posted January 9, 2025 23 hours ago, Captain SlackBladder said: I don't know if it's been mentioned, but on Raw and on NXT the audio cuts out a lot. Possibly due to catering to different territories? I don't mean when big Dewie makes the air Bluey. If you watch with subtitles on you can see the two main reasons. 1. swearing as you’ve said which has often been fully transcribed in the subtitles . 2. commentators reading out scripted advertising blurb about the sponsors of the programme or the Topps Trading cards etc. These are also transcribed in the subtitles. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted January 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2025 2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: Gave New Years Evil a try after having not watched NXT for quite some time. Holy fuck Booker T is an annoying bastard. He’s never been great, but he was fucking horrific on this show. I thought Nigel McGuinness and his crowbarring of “quid pro quo” into every show was bad (I’m still not convinced he knows what it actually means), but Booker T has proper fuck off heat. This is the first time I’ve ever seen Giulia wrestle. It was a fine match but nothing fantastic. She has a great look I’ll give her that much. Stephane Vaquer I have seen a few times and she’s great, can’t believe Tony Khan just let WWE swoop in and sign her after Forbidden Door last year. When I’ve heard Nigel use QPQ I thought he used correctly but then I do watch live so it’s late and my brains not 100% on that late. Giuila is definitely not the same wrestler we saw in Japan. I thought she would have to cut some stuff back in NXT and so far that’s been the case. Stephane definitely fits in more with the product. It wasn’t that Tony dropped the ball, she had always wanted to work for WWE and she was contacted very quickly after her AEW debut. Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted January 9, 2025 Posted January 9, 2025 This was the first NXT show I’ve watched since one of their PPVs last year. A bunch of faces I haven’t seen before, but Oba Femi continues to impress. On the women’s side, only Stephanie Vaquer stood out to me. Big time aura with her. Booker T is awful, Shotzi is still shit but at least she’s dropped the tank, the helmet and the howling. Ava is laughably bad. Final thought. Lola Vice. Damn. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted January 14, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 14, 2025 Just when you think it couldn’t get better than Corey Graves being demoted to NXT, he’s now throwing a public temper tantrum. This will hopefully tarnish his reputation even further, ruining any chances of ever returning to Raw or Smackdown. Jackpot. Calling himself, “pretty fucking awesome,” at commentary though. You’ve worked yourself into a shoot, brother. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 14, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 14, 2025 the last chance Corey had to be relevant was when they were still doing Survivor Series as a RAW vs. Smackdown gimmick, and he mentioned that he'd been medically cleared, I figured they'd stick him and Pat McAfee in an interpromotional match. It wouldn't have been good, but I could have pictured it. Now, he's not even in the top three commentators they're most likely to have come out of retirement for a match. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted January 14, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 14, 2025 That’s a point. Maybe the entire thing is a work and Graves vs. McAfee is a direction for Wrestlemania. Speaks to Graves’ reputation though that I one hundred percent believe he’s just an idiot self-sabotaging online. Again. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.