U Turns

The Maestro

• Paid Members

Spicy food. Used to hate it when I was younger, but then I moved to the city with a mate who showed me what I was missing. Nowadays if I don't feel glad to still be alive after I've made myself a chilli then I feel like I've not made it hot enough. 

• Paid Members

Most foods. When I first met my fiancee and she wanted to cook a meal, I had to write a list of things I would eat. It was not a long list, and she's still got it somewhere - essentially it was pasta, peppers, chicken and onions.

Now I eat most things, with the exception of fish, and I am also willing to try stuff that I didn't used to - had a aubergine based pasta thing this week and it was surprisingly nice. 

Rap music - when I was at school, I saw myself as an edgelord who would only listen to metal, because all the people who listen to rap were dickheads. Since growing up, I now do enjoy quite a lot of rap, as well as metal etc. However, I will never enjoy Country music. 

• Paid Members

As a child I had an almost bowleresque aversion to Chinese food. The smell would make me sick. Now I could eat Chinese food every day. I love it. I guess it was some sort of prawn cracker epiphany on the road to Peking duck in the early 80s that converted me. 

• Paid Members

Country music is actually mine. 

Hated it when I was younger, found it hokey as shit and all very samey (which considering the metal and rock I was listening too was probably more samey is ironic). 

A neighbour on campus when I was in uni in Bath was doing a commercial music course and was very much UK country and through her I found a ton of stuff I now listen too on the regular. 

It's made my Spotify recommendations over the years a very strange combination. 

• Paid Members

Batman. As a kid I thought he was rubbish. No super powers and he's essentially a silly rich berk. I read Knightfall in my late teens and completely flipped and hes now my favourite comic character.

Westerns, couldn't stand the thought of watching them as a kid. I would swear blind they were all boring and utterly tedious. Then I watched A Fistful of Dollars at Uni and it blew my mind. Now I can't get enough of them.

Wham!, if you told 15 year old edgelord Korn listening DEF that he'd be in love with Wham! in his thirties he'd have laughed in your face and told you to do one. But they are amazing pop.

Meat. I was the kind of dick that would refer to Vegetarians Tree Huggers (still am) and couldn't possibly imagine not eating meat. Now I've been Vegan for nearly a year.

• Paid Members

Pop music must be the most common U-turn that people make. Almost everyone surely goes through the phase as an adolescent where they get into whatever genre of music they fit in with, develop a snobbery and look down upon pop music or anything they deem to be too 'commercial'. If you've not seen the error of your ways and pulled a U-turn on musical snobbery in all its forms by your thirties then you're probably just a bit of a bellend.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Pop music must be the most common U-turn that people make. Almost everyone surely goes through the phase as an adolescent where they get into whatever genre of music they fit in with, develop a snobbery and look down upon pop music or anything they deem to be too 'commercial'. If you've not seen the error of your ways and pulled a U-turn on musical snobbery in all its forms by your thirties then you're probably just a bit of a bellend.

Find me a man that doesn’t like Girls Aloud and I’ll show you a liar. 

• Paid Members

Meat for sure. I’ve gone from at least having meat twice day and not understanding Vegan/Vegetarian’s obsession with wanting Vegetarian/Vegan “meats” because if they just want meat, eat meat to not putting meat in my mouth for almost 3 years, and my wife/daughter have also switched to being pescetarians as well. Slowly on the road to Veganism now and I think what a berk I was to vegetarians for years.

Hugh Grant

Couldn’t stomach him for ages because he just seemed to cast as the bumbling fool and “look how awkward he is, and it’s funny because he’s British!”.

Then I saw him in the utter masterpiece that is Paddington 2 where he was fantastic and clearly loving every moment. Went back through some of his other movies and he’s actually a decent actor depending on what he has to work with