U Turns

The Maestro

• Paid Members

Probably got a national holiday when he pops it. The Peopleā€™s Captain.

They are trying to get every penny they can out of the Captain Tom brand. Besides the gin, heā€™s got an autobiography out and two kids books. All of which Iā€™m sure he definitely knows about.Ā Poor fucker only wanted to walk round his garden to raise a bit of money. Now his family have put him to work.Ā 

Heā€™ll have a Netflix special out next year.Ā 

Without making this another Tories Are Cunts thread (although every thread should be)I hate the way what he was doing is a thing and is normalised and seen as noble. Ā He was raising money for the NHS, or NHS approved charities. Ā That charity shouldn't have to exist! Ā As much as I hate the fetishing of the military and the atrocities the forces commit, Help For Heroes shouldn't have to exist either.

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Without making this another Tories Are Cunts thread (although every thread should be)I hate the way what he was doing is a thing and is normalised and seen as noble. Ā He was raising money for the NHS, or NHS approved charities. Ā That charity shouldn't have to exist! Ā As much as I hate the fetishing of the military and the atrocities the forces commit, Help For Heroes shouldn't have to exist either.

All part of the narrative, isn't it? Don't look at how massively deliberately underfunded this public health service is. Wring your hands at how badly managed everything is, wasting your hard earned taxes, and still needing to be propped up by the thankless generosity of our brave former cannon fodder. Only the rigorous standards and market competition of private healthcare can solve this.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Captain Tom memorial plates

I thought this might already be out there so had a quick Google and found some captain Tom coasters. For disclosure they do make a donation for each sale.Ā 

The exploitation of him is bad but the frustrating thing for me at the time was the spate of copy cats clearly doing things to try and get that exposure. At least his intentions were altruistic rather thanĀ avaricious.Ā 

s-l400.jpg