U Turns

The Maestro

Okay friends and kind folk. I want to know what opinions of yours that have gone full 360 throughout your life. Have you gone from Tory to Labour? Vice versa? Have you finally realised the greatness of dark chocolate? What are your put your hands up moments in life?

1) Baked beans. I used to hate them. With a passion. But an ex partner's mum made home made hunters chicken and chips with baked beans. As a guy trying to impress the parents I had to take the plunge. And the plunge I took. Boom! And guess what? Baked beans are pretty fucking good! They're now my first choice side if I get a KFC and taste even better with a splash of Worcester sauce. I'm sorry beans for ever doubting you.

2) Jack Whitehall. Okay. He's probably still a knob. But I'm currently watching Fresh Meat and I think he's great in it. I'm fully aware he's probably just playing an extended version of himself, but JP has given me a few good belly laughs I no longer dislike the guy.

3) Coffee. Because as a kid it's shit. Then somewhere down the line it's good.

So what are your drastic opinion changes? What have you hated then liked? Or vice versa? 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

A 180 surely as otherwise you'd have gone back to Tory.

The main one for me, and it's funny it's recently been discussed in another thread, but butter on a sandwich. I used to hate the texture, that greasy film it leaves, but now I couldn't do without butter on a sandwich. 

For similar reasons I couldn't eat a cold sausage roll. 

• Paid Members

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Thought it was dreadful the first time I watched it. Didn't find it funny at all and remember claiming it was just horrible people shrieking at each other (which, lets face it, it is). I don't know what changed but the second time I tried it I loved it and binged the lot over a few months. It's become one of the few comedy shows I'll happily put on every night in bed.

Sprouts too, but everybody does a u-turn on sprouts don't they? Vile as a kid, love them now.

1 minute ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Thought it was dreadful the first time I watched it. Didn't find it funny at all and remember claiming it was just horrible people shrieking at each other (which, lets face it, it is). I don't know what changed but the second time I tried it I loved it and binged the lot over a few months. It's become one of the few comedy shows I'll happily put on every night in bed.

Sprouts too, but everybody does a u-turn on sprouts don't they? Vile as a kid, love them now.

The 1st series of Sunny isnt great so I can see why.

Your second point. No. Sprouts are fucking vile and no amount of "with pancetta" bullshit will ever change this.

There are so many nicer vegetables. 

• Paid Members

Food-wise, olives and blue cheeses. Way too salty for my childhood palate. Now I love a good slice of super-strong Stilton, but even more I now love olives, especially the local Cypriot shop ones that sell them fresh, marinated in lemon, garlic, and coriander seed - like crack, they are. 

Actor-wise, Leonardo DiCaprio. Used to think he was just a pretty-boy getting by on his looks, but saw Catch Me If You Can, and was intrigued enough to watch other films. Happy to admit I was wrong.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Actor-wise, Leonardo DiCaprio. Used to think he was just a pretty-boy getting by on his looks, but saw Catch Me If You Can, and was intrigued enough to watch other films. Happy to admit I was wrong.

That's how I felt about DiCaprio. After I had the misfortune of seeing Titanic, which I found him bloody annoying in, I would refuse to watch any film with him in it for many years after. I found myself in a dilemma when I found out that he'd feature in one of the main roles in Django Unchained. I would always make a point of seeing Tarantino's films at the cinema. So I went along and thought DiCaprio was superb. I had to re-evaluate my opinion of him. I've since watched other films with him in and I now rate him very highly as an actor. 

Edited by Boycie