U Turns

The Maestro

• Paid Members

Fox. Used to think “Fox, they make some great shows.” Now just think “Fox News, ugggh.”

On 11/22/2020 at 9:10 PM, Chili said:

The Smiths. Absolutely no time for them until I was about 27, then I came round to the fact they were a really incredible piece of work,

Well, one of them certainly is.

• Paid Members
On 11/21/2020 at 1:59 PM, air_raid said:

International football.

Used to absolutely love it, now just see it as chance for my clubs players to get injured in (usually) inconsequential games.

Off topic sorry, but this seems to be a particularly English trait.

I wonder if its because England qualify pretty easily for every major tournament that they see it as a big waste of time? Because by the time tournaments roll around its all "Its coming home" and everyone on the bandwagon, so surely its not that bad? But the idea that qualification is seen as just a major inconvenience strikes me as more than a little odd.

For the likes of Wales and every European nation outside of the big six or so, qualification is a big deal and a genuine national achievement. It took us 58 fucking years, so you can bet that we'll savour every second. 

There are no major professional clubs within an hour and a half's drive and so most decent level football feels a bit remote, not to mention getting more disillusioned with age in regards to the Premier League (although I've have appreciated it more during Covid when I've had no local teams to go and watch).

But I genuinely look forward to the next international break and hate this four month gap between November and March with no games. (In fairness this was even the case when Wales were total gash).

Me and my mates go to most home and away games, so the fact that they're only every few months means we can save up for the next Wales Away trip to god knows where in Europe (and sometimes beyond), is what we all live for really. (Most away games are actually more convenient to get to than that shite eight hour round trip by car to Cardiff) 

The fact that the games are only occasional helps with the saving etc of course, but when you all follow different club teams its nice when you have the same team to support. 

The number of new people I've met and mates I've made on these trips is something I'll always savour, can't imagine being into football anywhere near the level I am without it tbh.

Despite the fact that it's not really pure at all, its still the purest form of the game there is.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Off topic sorry, but this seems to be a particularly English trait.

I wonder if its because England qualify pretty easily for every major tournament that they see it as a big waste of time? Because by the time tournaments roll around its all "Its coming home" and everyone on the bandwagon, so surely its not that bad?

Nah. I have my own feelings independent of the rest of the English. I grew up on Graham Taylor’s England huffing and puffing to qualifying with draws over Ireland and Poland or failing to qualify at all so never took anything for granted. I used to love watching Svens team in qualifiers to see who was earning a first cap or scoring their first goal. Over time I just grew to hate the team, the setup, and the fact injuries occurred on international duty usually knacker my clubs next game or sometimes a whole season. 

Game of Thrones, and I realise this is pretty harsh. I thought it was one of the best TV shows ever, and for the longest time it absolutely was. 

That final episode, though...

It just shows you the power of one bad episode of television. It's hard to look back at the show as fondly as I did as I know that it concludes in, for me at least, a very disappointing way. I feel like I should be able to look at the show as a whole and enjoy the parts of it that were good (the vast, vast, vast majority of it) but for whatever reason I can't. 

I've never seen an episode of Game of Thrones, but it often can burst a bubble when a show jumps the shark or ends in a galling manner. Throughout the series you've felt that you're in on it with the writers, that you understand where they're coming from and you have this great connection. You feel seen. And then the illusion shatters, and you feel stupid. It's like enjoying a long, personal chat with someone, only to find out that all along, their half of the conversation was aimed at someone else on the phone you hadn't seen in their hand.

Tom Cruise. 
When I was at the height of my cinema poncedom, I always dismissed the Cruiser as a bad actor and the Scientology stuff certainly influenced my opinion. My brother has always been a fan of his, he always said if he was so bad, all those directors wouldn’t have worked with him. Magnolia was the turning point for me, then I realised he was a movie star and not an actor. Now I love the middle tooth mentalist. 

Captain Tom. During lockdown 1 and his subsequent activities I felt him to be a right time right place attention seeking opportunist chancer who  grabbed every opportunity to be wheeled out to sing with Michael Ball or get his face plastered wherever he could. Yeah he raised a lot of money BUT did he.. really? He put no more effort in to raise the 18 billion he raised than he would have done if he'd raised the £6.80 he was originally hoping to raise, the reason he got more is because of the publicity he got in the daily mail and those sorts talking constantly about him, he was always going to do his 100 laps it's not like he got famous then went "yeah lets do this thing!" and did 1000, he put as much effort in as loads of other it's just he got the glory, the wanker. And then... and then i saw that there's a Captain Tom gin available at something like £35 and he's been wheeled out holding the bottle and you just know that that photo is the first he knew about this gin, he hadn't been consulted about it, he hadn't been there for the distilling process, tasting the juniper berries to get it just right, he wasn't consulted on the label design, he's just being used by some callous capitalistic machine trying to wring every last penny out of him before he dies and they release the Captain Tom memorial plates (which they've already got designed) 

all that poor man wanted to do was raise a little bit of money to help out, he didn't want all this, he didn't want his face on Walkers crisps (how has that one not actually happened yet??) he didn't want to be interviewed on breakfast television, he just wanted to do a few laps of the garden then have a bowl of soup, bless him.

So yeah, Captain Tom, gawd bless him but fuck his family, his publicist, anyone that's ever made a penny out of him and anyone who buys that "keep calm and carry on drinking gin" gin.