Work

Tommy!

32 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Going to sign up to one of these courses, if only for my own self esteem. I’m unsure how good they’ll be in terms of getting jobs but there’s no harm in trying is there? Or will this be a waste of a tenner?

Before you do, when I'm at work tomorrow, I'll send you a few links to free courses and providers that I know of? 

Theres some incredibly interesting ones I've been signposting to people, few I'd be keen on taking actually, and if you claim UC (or other means tested benefits) they are pretty much all without cost.

Edit: misread that as a £100, so thanks for flagging those up at a tenner! 

Edited by SuperBacon

Whilst i have been in/out of the office the past few months along with a handful of others , the rest of the office returns tomorrow…..

I’ve gone completely grey in that time period, such to the extent that a few people have asked me if i dyed my hair.

It’s put a few years on me, i am anticipating a few odd looks. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Whilst i have been in/out of the office the past few months along with a handful of others , the rest of the office returns tomorrow…..

I’ve gone completely grey in that time period, such to the extent that a few people have asked me if i dyed my hair.

It’s put a few years on me, i am anticipating a few odd looks. 

It can be tough to reveal that big a change but I think you will be pleasantly surprised to how its received. 

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Going to sign up to one of these courses, if only for my own self esteem. I’m unsure how good they’ll be in terms of getting jobs but there’s no harm in trying is there? Or will this be a waste of a tenner?

Cheers for that Keith! I've signed up for a few of them to try and help my own job search.

Wife and I have also signed up for the BSL course as its something we've always been interested in learning.

3 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

In a sort of limbo at work at the minute.

I'm covering as a manager until May in a new job after Mike Ashley fucked us all over in my last job. It's 39 hours a week and while the job itself is pretty relaxed, I'm in charge of the one stressful part of it that due to the outside company that deals with it messing up constantly is currently a nightmare to constantly be running and fixing. 
Also my last job was 20-30 hours a week which gave me a brilliant work/life balance as when we had the staff I was working 4 days a week and had some early finishes (3pm) in there.  Here I'm 39 hours a week, 9-6, 5 times a week but due to getting the bus it's essentially 8am-6.30pm.

The job is as good as guaranteed to keep me on in May as we're understaffed and I'm doing well there but I'm just not sure what to do. I don't know whether to stay and then renegotiate my contract in May to go down to part time to get that balance back, or whether to apply elsewhere and find something else. I know negotiating is possible because one of our salesmen is contracted never to work past 4pm or weekends.

I found a work from home  inbound phone job that has negotiable hours and no weekends though, so where I'm not a fan of call center work, the idea of doing it from home on my own agreed time is one I see a lot of upside to in terms of work/life, travel and spending, and being in a comfortable and stress-free surrounding that retail isn't currently offering me.
That's not to say it's one or the other, I am looking at all options. I'm just not sure the job I'm in now is giving me what I want from life.

39 hours a week - how did you manage to find that gig? Sounds like a skive.

41 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Wife and I have also signed up for the BSL course as its something we've always been interested in learning.

Yeah we looked at that too! Next thing you know we will have a club on here helping each other out with the course!!

@SuperBacon that’ll be lovely, thanks!!

• Awards Moderator
23 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Thanks for these! Definitely going to join up for the BSL one.

There’s also BSL courses available at http://www.british-sign.co.uk for £3 if anyone is strapped for cash.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Anyone got any recommendations for masks? I'll likely need to go back to the office over the next few weeks and wouldn't mind getting a few new ones.

Bog standard Stepahead on 2 quid from most places ranks highly, let down by lack of instructions https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face-masks/article/best-reusable-face-masks-awLeA3A6XoZD