Work

Tommy!

24 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Maybe picking this up wrong but would a company tell an unsuccessful candidate the reasons they weren’t successful? 

Entirely depends on the company, and I wouldn’t expect it as standard, but this company in particular guaranteed an interview to anybody who declared a disability, which I did.

@mim731You are of course correct, but I’d prefer to wallow in my own self pity rather than think logically!

Edited by Slapnut

I forgot to update in here, but I got the job. Now at the end of my third week and loving it so far. Seem to be a really good company, putting me through a load of courses, good atmosphere and nice people. I'm almost suspicious at how well it's going. Only downside is that I've gone from 30k steps a day in the old job to being deskbound here with constant cakes and snacks so I'll be the size of a house in no time. 

So after deciding a few weeks ago (when I got signed off work) that I was completely done with teaching I've mellowed on that somewhat. I've had a meeting with my work and there's a plan in place to reduce my workload when I return to work so I'll see how that goes. Still going to take a bit longer off work and use some of the talking therapies they've offered too.

I also started up a wee side gig while I've been off making wooden gifts and homewares. Listed some stuff on Etsy and made my first sale today, to Florida of all places. Although I'd completely miscalculated international postage so won't make any profit on it but still its a first sale and a lesson learned for the future.

Edited by Divorced Dad

• 1 month later...

I'm currently in a bit of a frustrating job situation that I almost feel guilty complaining about but I'm curious on your thoughts.

My current job bores me to death. I'm a team leader but, due to the way my place is structured, I don't feel like I'm offering anything. I don't want to progress to manager there because it looks horrendous, and if I did want to it would only be an option if an existing manager were to leave or be promoted and a job becomes available, which has only happened twice in the 5 years I've been there. However, on the flip side, I have very little pressure on me, very little work to do, and I can comfortably pop out during working hours to go to the gym, get a haircut, pop to the shops etc.

I've recently been offered a new job with one of our competitors, £3.5k pay rise, and it's a Junior Project Manager with plenty of professional qualifications so I can become a fully fledged Project Manager and hopefully fuck off out of this industry. Unlike my current place, they promote on appraisal rather than headcount, and I'm led to believe from somebody I know there that I'm likely to be promoted after a year unless I completely shit the bed. Seemed to be an easy decision when I was offered the role. The only thing that I was a little unsure about is that I know three former colleagues who started there this month - moved from the same job as me into the job I've been offered - but they were offered £2k more.

However, the very day I was due to give my notice, my current place gave us all pay rises, £3.5k more than the new job is offering, £7k pay rise from what I'm currently on. Naturally, the first thing I did was ask new job to adjust my starting salary to £2k more than the original offer so it at least matches my colleagues (I didn't mention my colleagues' salaries mind). Today they've come back and rejected that request and said the salary stands at the original offer. I'm quite annoyed by this because they've essentially said I'm worth £2k less than people with the same experience (even far less experience in the case of one of them). To tell you the truth, I'm not even convinced the recruiter (internal, not an agency) even asked them to bump up the salary - it took her two weeks to come back to me with an answer (after promising 24-48 hours), and she only came back to me today after I stressed I needed an answer by Friday.

So yeah, bit of a pickle. Do I stick in my current job for more money but accept pure boredom and no drive, or do I take the new job for less money but likely a better future, albeit with the caveat that other new starters are being hired on more money for reasons unexplained to me?

Apologies for the self indulgent post, I know it's a good problem to have but it's driving me nuts.

That's a nice pay rise @Slapnut I'd be tempted to do like Keith says, stay for a bit and enjoy that extra moolah. 

Keep looking whilst you're in your current job for the right thing. You being bored sounds like a big motivator, and maybe see if there's any courses or qualifications you can do whilst you're in a less pressured role?

That could help when going for new jobs and open up more opportunities for you.

Best of luck.

• Paid Members

Take the additional 7k and as Keith said, live it up for a bit. Probably hard to appreciate while you're in the thick of it, but it's great that you're able to fit stuff like the gym into your routine fairly easily. Going to the other place for less money puts you on the back foot with them early doors which probably wouldn't be the healthiest scenario, and it's an awkward conversation at any stage if you want to be on the same money as the people you know, but the business can't afford it/won't budge, etc. 

It's definitely strange the place you applied to wouldn't even budge slightly, like offer an additional 1,000 or at least enter further negotiation. High probability you were done by the recruiter there who hasn't asked. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

That's a nice pay rise @Slapnut I'd be tempted to do like Keith says, stay for a bit and enjoy that extra moolah. 

Keep looking whilst you're in your current job for the right thing. You being bored sounds like a big motivator, and maybe see if there's any courses or qualifications you can do whilst you're in a less pressured role?

That could help when going for new jobs and open up more opportunities for you.

Best of luck.

I would agree.

My job sounds similar and i use the “down” time during the day to do online courses to get certs to help me advance my career in the long term.

55 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Thanks all, much appreciated. Annoyingly, you've all said the opposite to my girlfriend, so how do I tell her I'm likely to take the advice of UKFF over her?

Tell her over a chippy tea, that’ll do the trick. 

• Paid Members

£7k is a significant jump - and being on a higher salary gives you a better negotiating position for when you do take another offer, meaning your starting pay there is likely to be higher. When you factor in that most payrises are percentage-based over the course of your career an additional £3.5k now could be worth tens of thousands in the future. So long as there's no risk of your current job disappearing in the near future I'd stay there and keep looking for a better offer.

@Slapnut tough one. How do the benefits compare? If the gap you are concerned about is £2k and, if you are a higher rate tax payer and get deducted 40% of everything you earn over £50k, then the difference is £100 per month in real terms.......so the value of pensions, health benefits and so forth could make a big difference. The smaller the gap, the more inclined I'd be to take the role with the best long term prospects and more interesting work. If you are not a higher rate tax payer, then the new offer doesn't seem compelling enough to give up the security you have in your current employment....that would be my view.

Edited by MPDTT