Work

Tommy!

1 minute ago, 69MeDon said:

Small structured finance news and data and events company. Very small, in fact. Not a huge org chart. Just goes me, my manager, the MD. I don't think they ever mentioned if we should expect regular pay rises or not. I will look into it.

Yes, I really should, @Keith Houchen

The best way to approach it is to say how the cost of living crisis leaves you no choice but to consider a higher paid job, but you don’t want to leave. If you’re the only employee on your level then collective bargaining isn’t going to be much help! Good luck. 

• Paid Members

I'm starting to think things at this place I started working at 6 months ago aren't as rosey as I thought. I'm not saying that there's an issue with staff retention, but - with the exception of the team manager - I'm about to become the longest serving member of my team.

• Paid Members

I had one of my Aspergers moments a few days ago and applied for some jobs back home. With mum unwell and everything going wrong it made sense to just run again and instead I turned the job down because I know that staying in tenby will give me the best rewards and success and I don't wanna lose that even if I'm struggling there socially. 

It's weird but nice to be stronger than i used to be. 

Sounds like this is good for your self esteem and confidence. From what you’re saying it sounds like too big an upheaval for the family but it must do you good knowing that there are other places you’re being considered for and if something came up that 100% right for you and your family, you’ll have the much needed confidence boost to apply for it. 

Bit of an odd one. 

I recently got dismissed for being unfit for work,  because of a shoulder injury, despite being fit enough for work that I started with a new company on a 3 month temp contract the very next day. 

Since then I've managed to be interviewed and be successful for another job (not long after nearly checking out of life again:( ) , however they've started to drag their heels despite making an initial offer nothing else has been forthcoming and the last update Ive had was theyre still doing some checks, despite having had a proper medical with them showing that I'm fit to work. 

On Friday I was working with the CEO of my current place on some stats and things and he's asked for my CV and Salary Expectations as they seem quite impressed with the work I've done to date. 

If they do offer something then that's ace, but I'm then I've two job offers. I love where I'm working now, the other job is a huge challenge and that appeals too. 

Which one to pick, or should I wait to see if anything comes barring initial offers.

I don't want to mess up after the disaster of my last job and I'm not sure I trust my own judgement currently after getting things so wrong before. 

Go with your gut instinct. Yes it's a challenge, but the grass isn't always greener and perhaps if they are that impressed where you are they maybe view you as someone worthwhile having around and have longer term plans for you?

55 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Go with your gut instinct. Yes it's a challenge, but the grass isn't always greener and perhaps if they are that impressed where you are they maybe view you as someone worthwhile having around and have longer term plans for you?

54 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Sounds like waiting to see is your most sensible option there - if you’ve got the freedom to hang on until you have as much information as you can, do that, and then your decision can be more informed.

Cheers, I'm a bit shakey in making decisions as last job is the worst one I've ever had by some considerable distance.

Getting let go on grounds of long term injury despite actually being fit for work amongst other things has kinda shattered my go with the right decision as I thought that job was the right one and I couldn't have been more wrong and wasn't not just the injury stuff. 

2 more months in temp job and not sure when the other final offer will come through if it doesn't then back to job hunting as a fall back. 

• Paid Members

Today was my first proper day back at the office since going full-time WFH during April 2020, and around noonish I went for a BANGING shit that I had been building up all morning. I like to drop the dime on company time and not during my break, so I always wait for a quiet period.

Well, it was MASSIVE, and MASSIVELY SATISFYING. It took a small forest of TP to clean away the debris and there was a mighty skid mark left on the bowl (but, importantly, no brush to clean it away).

I exited the stall, proud and light-footed, and right into the waiting gaze and folded, impatient arms of a female cleaner who had been waiting to clean the stall. We locked eyes and I gave a nervous "You alright?" as I quickly slunk away to the sink, washed and fucked off.

I miss working from home.

• 2 months later...

Thoughts on this as it's doing my head in! 

Ive worked in the same job for ten years which has quite a lot of responsibility. 
The department I run has outperformed all others for 3 years across the country and continues to do so. 

Due to outside factors (basically the way industry is) all sites have seen a dip the last 4 months, however mine is still outperforming others and producing huge revenue. 

Despite this my new boss is every conversation we have even an hello at the coffee machine tells me that  I have dropped. Last weeks was - "yeah lovely day. Performance has fallen 0.02% this week" and then cut me off. 

Since then I have had my performance review - I explained via an excel the outside factors and showed her how we were miles ahead of every one else and where our opportunities were and what I along with our team were doing.

She told me "this is just noise" and words to the effect of I will be on your case unless I see it being positive improvements and I am not Interested unless it is. 

She also spend 10 mins of my review on her phone whilst I was trying to present to her. 

I love my job, have worked there a long time and have great benefits but I really find working for her infuriating. As she is the top dog in my companies site I don't know what to do or where to go. But it's utterly demotivating. I don't want to leave, but have found myself starting to look at other areas and other companies as I feel totally despondent. 

Edited by Daddymagic

Focus on your team and your results. Do you know if the boss has had similar conversations with others at your level regarding their performance? For all you know they’re getting it worse. Obviously there are mitigating factors as to why results are not what she wants, but I guess that’s what the presentation is for. 
If she is on the phone whilst you are talking, stop talking until she can give you her undivided attention. It’s the height of rudeness. 
Is your new boss still on a probationary period? Quite often new bosses like to come in and make it clear that they’re in charge, they have bosses to answer to as well and no doubt if all figures are down, theirs are down so they’ll be looking for excuses. 
And obviously, if you haven’t already, join your union.