Work

Tommy!

• Paid Members

A team leader position just got announced at work, one which actually interests me and doesn't impede much on my new family life.

I looked through the internal application page for the job details, but found nothing.

"I know!". A massive cartoon light bulb appeared above my head.

"I'll email the general manager for details about the job, thereby putting forth my initiative, enthusiasm and can-do attitude before even sending off a CV!".

Colour my smug face when I send off the email.

Then colour my smug face a few seconds later when I find another page of the internal site that clearly has all the info and job details, and I'm hurriedly writing a "Ha! Ignore that email! LOL!" message back to the same fucking manager before he's even replied.

Well that's fucked it. I'm going to have to walk past his office at some point today too. Oh fuck me.

I work for a fairly large nationwide car dealer. About a month and a half ago, our sales manager was dismissed. 

I've always been high performing and consistently over deliver against targets etc. A number of my colleagues advised me to apply for the role and after careful consideration, I decided against it. Even though it would have meant a higher basic, I'd have most likely been on less money once commission was taken into account.

This week, my Head of Business is away and I've been asked to look after the dealership in his absence as our new sales manager doesn't start until next week.

As it's only Wednesday evening I'm delighted to say that I didn't go for the role. My stress levels are through the roof and I'm going to be over the fucking moon when the boss walks back through the doors on Monday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm looking for a little help with regards holiday entitlement in my job. Hopefully this is ok in here, couldn't think of another thread that is relevant enough.

The best way to explain my shift would be to class it as a 2 week rota. In week 1, I work Mon - Wed (6am-6pm shifts) and Thur (6am-12pm shift). And in week 2, I work Mon - Wed (6pm-6am shifts). So in that two week period i'm working a total of 78 hours.

I have used several different hol. entitlement calculators and have gotten anything from 18 days to 25.6 days (inclusive of bank holidays). I think where i'm getting lost is what is construed as an actual working day, ambiguously stating that  I should only use days that the company are physically open (i.e. Mon-Fri), or another which will state using the full 7 day week as the template to calculate from.

I guess the gist of it is, I work (the above mentioned hours) and my company is only open 5 days a week, (Opening only on weekends during busy periods, however not being contractually obligated to work but if you want to help out, then there's option of some overtime there).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to work out my leave days for the year but don't feel I've been given enough. Either that, or I've been very fortunate in previous jobs and their allocation of holidays, as I never felt like I was scrimping and scraping with were I could use a holiday before in other companies.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

Is there no mention of it in your contract?

There is, yes. But i'm trying to establish whether it's a fair enough base in line with other shift patterns.

I was working Mon-Fri with everyone else but, long story short they accommodated for me and two others (as we've predominantly prefered condensing our hours to allow for days off/save on fuel). As it's unchartered territory for them (employer) as well, i'm unsure whether they may have missed something their end. They've only had to calculate for a standard 40 hour week/5 day a week job normally. If my office were pretty switched on with everything, I'd be inclined to accept it without second guessing. As it stands, we have constant miscalculations of pay per month with members of staff. Not being on top of who is off when and where etc. Picture i'm trying to portray is, they're not very professional (efficient is probably a better word) when it comes to the rights of its staff/employees.

I don't want to be signing a new contract if i'm massively undercutting myself.

Edited by Mikeymike83

I'm not an expert by any means but this is how i think it works.

Full time workers doing a 5 day week are entitled to 28 days holiday per year (some companies include bank holidays, others don't).

When working 4 days a week  you are doing 80% of days you get 80% of holiday entitlement : 22.4 days per year.

Yours is a bit more complicated as you do 4 days 1 week, 3 days the next week. 

But presumably same principal applies  : you are doing 60% of days so get 60% of holiday entitlement :16.8 days per year.

So week 1 (mon to thurs) you get 11.2 days per year / week 2 (mon to wed) you get 8.4 days per year.

Added together you get 19.6 days holiday per year.

Simply, a regular mon-fri shift over 2 weeks someone will work 10 days out of 14 : you work 7 days out of 14. You work 70% of days so get 70% of holiday.

Hope that's correct. Then again i could be talking complete rubbish.

Probably the best people to ask are citizens advice.

1 hour ago, Mandingo's Donger said:

I'm not an expert by any means but this is how i think it works.

Full time workers doing a 5 day week are entitled to 28 days holiday per year (some companies include bank holidays, others don't).

When working 4 days a week  you are doing 80% of days you get 80% of holiday entitlement : 22.4 days per year.

Yours is a bit more complicated as you do 4 days 1 week, 3 days the next week. 

But presumably same principal applies  : you are doing 60% of days so get 60% of holiday entitlement :16.8 days per year.

So week 1 (mon to thurs) you get 11.2 days per year / week 2 (mon to wed) you get 8.4 days per year.

Added together you get 19.6 days holiday per year.

Simply, a regular mon-fri shift over 2 weeks someone will work 10 days out of 14 : you work 7 days out of 14. You work 70% of days so get 70% of holiday.

Hope that's correct. Then again i could be talking complete rubbish.

Probably the best people to ask are citizens advice.

Yeah that's all adding up. It's not too dissimilar from what i'm being offered, but think there's still a day or two discrepancy which I think I should  be getting (based on their offer) more of. Appreciate that detailed breakdown, will have a discussion with my bosses when i'm back at work.

Thanks a lot

How many hours are you doing @Mikeymike83?

I work 4 days a week but still do 35 hours a week so I'm entitled to the same annual leave as everyone else but my work just give me the days as hours and I book them as suits me based on what covers my working day (I do 2 longer days and 2 shorter days).

• 1 month later...

SHIT JOB NEWS!

Started a new job yesterday. Found out the agency didn't know the actual company were interviewing full time. So I've found out today they hired someone and I could be finished on Friday. BRILLIANT.

I've been fucked over by poor management. They fuck up, by I'm the one who suffers. It's not fair, it's absolutely dogshit. I just want regular income so I can actually do ANYTHING. I'm so angry and upset and frustrated with everything in my shitty life!

• Moderators

Wait what happened here? You took a temp job and then it ended abruptly?

It really sucks for you that they seemingly managed to find a permanent person to fill the role sooner than they expected but I don't think you can blame them really.

I get that it's really frustrating for you though. Temping sucks like that. Sorry you have to go through it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Wait what happened here? You took a temp job and then it ended abruptly?

It really sucks for you that they seemingly managed to find a permanent person to fill the role sooner than they expected but I don't think you can blame them really.

I get that it's really frustrating for you though. Temping sucks like that. Sorry you have to go through it.

Should have been a bit clearer. The agency never knew apparently the company was interviewing full time and implied the position ended in March 2023. Just really sucks because 6 months of regular pay would make me feel less vulnerable and to actually afford to do comedy shows in my spare. But not. Thanks for taking the time to reply Chest. 

6 hours ago, Chili said:

SHIT JOB NEWS!

Started a new job yesterday. Found out the agency didn't know the actual company were interviewing full time. So I've found out today they hired someone and I could be finished on Friday. BRILLIANT.

I've been fucked over by poor management. They fuck up, by I'm the one who suffers. It's not fair, it's absolutely dogshit. I just want regular income so I can actually do ANYTHING. I'm so angry and upset and frustrated with everything in my shitty life!

Yeah that sounds shit, the agency really should've had an inkling that could happen and forewarned you. That shows a poor relationship (or at the least poor communications) between employer and agency. 

Have you asked them if there are any other roles that you could be suitable for? And whether there is something that could be very likely to be either a fixed term contract or temp to perm to give you a bit more stability?

On another note, I attended a careers event last week that was solely aimed at offenders/ex offenders and it was brilliant. 

There are some incredible provisions/charities out there doing some really great work to break down barriers, and the fact that it was a focused event made the attendees much more at ease/relaxed as the awkwardness/stigma was removed when talking to employers/providers.

Even got invited to go and do a talk at a prison, which is fantastic. 

I'd really to get more involved in the justice side of things (recidivism), my role is somewhat aligned, so the more I do with priority groups, the better understanding I have.

There is a job out there for everyone. 

6 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Try searching for civil service vacancies.  Loads of jobs all over both fixed term and permanent, and they take anyone.

Well I've not been long in my role (and will likely stay as the employer pension contribution is 18%!!!!) but more than likely move into that side of things hopefully. Cheers though.

• Paid Members

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I attended a careers event last week that was solely aimed at offenders/ex offenders and it was brilliant. 

I read that as sex offenders rather than ex offenders at first and thought there had been a UKFF alumni meet up.