Work

Tommy!

1 hour ago, Browser Brady said:

I work in IT and i am employed by a Service Provider. They have me based at a client’s for the last 5 years. So i don’t directly work for the client. my manager is a direct employee of the client.

i am quite friendly with my manager and told him i was thinking of asking for a raise, he said yeah sounds good and that he should be able to approve but he’ll discuss directly with the service provider who are my employer.

So my lot (service provider) get onto me like “great news your raise has been approved and it’s X amount “

I was a little underwhelmed and my manager asked me why so sad essentially. we talked and he told me that he approved a raise for 4 times what i was offered essentially.

I went back to my guys asking if they can do any better and they said “our hands are tied, take it or leave it”. I didnt let on that i’ve been told the approved raise is 4 times what they’ve offered me.

Anybody been in a similar position and any advice ?

Contracting makes you feel like a prostitute who has a pimp taking their cut for no reason, but taking 75% of my raise is surely a complete piss take.

You need to change service providers, or just set out on your own.  That’s taking the piss, they should  be working for you.

• Paid Members

Work is a shitshow at the moment and only about to get worse.

We went through a disastrous restructure earlier last year, and while I'm lucky to still have a job under the circumstances, the job I has isn't anything like what it was sold to me as - at interview, it was explained as being part of a team working to introduce new processes and streamline what was there already, but what it actually turned out to be was just all the shit jobs that they didn't factor into the restructure but still need doing. They split our team across the university's three Schools, without any real thought given to the balance of work, and no training. The majority of my job is spent doing stuff that, if the restructure had been done competently, would very obviously sit in another department - I raise an expense claim on behalf of someone else, and then somebody in the Payroll department actions it, or I raise a contract request on behalf of someone else and the HR department actions it. There's no reason for our team's job to exist, except that they're not prepared to hire more people in the departments that should be doing it.

As a result, the departments who actually do the important part are fucking it up at every turn. There are staff who haven't been paid in two months, or don't have contracts yet when the paperwork was raised in September. Some expenses claims were processed, but not for the full amount, with no explanation. The departments who actually do the important parts never respond to emails, so we get the blunt end of it, despite not being able to do anything. We don't have access to any information, so we're processing people's expense claims and can't even tell them when they'll get paid. It's a fucking joke.

Anyway, one of the other Schools is struggling more than the one I work for, so I've been asked to support them. I didn't really want to, because their manager is a nightmare, but it was one of those "would you mind?" questions where it was clear that I didn't have a choice. I'm used to being left alone to just get on with the job, fortnightly team meetings on Teams and maybe a catch-up if there's something specific that needs doing, whereas the other manager has in-person meetings with her team twice a week, ad hoc meetings on top of that, and is generally breathing down their neck constantly, just the exact opposite of how I prefer to work. When agreeing to this arrangement, my manager said, "it'll just be mucking in to help out when you can, it won't be a situation when you're doing X number one days with one team and Y with the other". Today, the other manager sent me a long email that basically amounted to, "tell me which days you'll be working with our team, then", so already at odds because nobody talks to each other. She then invited me to an in-person meeting at 11am tomorrow, and to their team meeting at 2pm (which clashes with my existing team meeting) - bearing in mind I already share an office with most of her team, I can't imagine there's going to be much to talk about in that second meeting that wouldn't be address during the first, but perhaps the fact that she has the people who work for her giving up two hours for pointless meetings might go some way to explain why her department are so behind.

I'm dreading having to work with her while also doing my existing job, with neither manager agreeing on what the terms I'm working for them under actually are, while the entire infrastructure falls down around us. Just a shit situation all round.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

You need to change service providers, or just set out on your own.  That’s taking the piss, they should  be working for you.

I’m tempted of going full Mick Lynch and seeing if there is a Union i can run it by. I really dislike being lied to or mislead.

Have a baby on the way after Xmas is my main consideration.

5 hours ago, Browser Brady said:

I work in IT and i am employed by a Service Provider. They have me based at a client’s for the last 5 years. So i don’t directly work for the client. my manager is a direct employee of the client.

i am quite friendly with my manager and told him i was thinking of asking for a raise, he said yeah sounds good and that he should be able to approve but he’ll discuss directly with the service provider who are my employer.

So my lot (service provider) get onto me like “great news your raise has been approved and it’s X amount “

I was a little underwhelmed and my manager asked me why so sad essentially. we talked and he told me that he approved a raise for 4 times what i was offered essentially.

I went back to my guys asking if they can do any better and they said “our hands are tied, take it or leave it”. I didnt let on that i’ve been told the approved raise is 4 times what they’ve offered me.

Anybody been in a similar position and any advice ?

Contracting makes you feel like a prostitute who has a pimp taking their cut for no reason, but taking 75% of my raise is surely a complete piss take.

Similar thing happened to me a couple of years back. It had been agreed between agency and employer I would get a pay increase at 3 months and would earn x amount. I wasn't aware if this agreement. It came time to hire an extra person,  they left after 3 days. My manager and HR asked if they knew why. I brought up what she was earning, a pound an hour less than me. I told them I didn't say that I earned more but she was not happy with it. They then looked confused at my pay and what she was earning. They had agreed the same pay for her as me. This was during lockdown 1, I started 1 week before it and the agency lost almost all of the agency workers. They were looking at ways to make the money back. The company went back to them and had them back pay me the agreed amount and had my pay rise. Next person came in earning agreed amount too. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

Just posting this to let off steam, as I'm in a bit of a state of anxiety. It's Friday night and I'm working furiously to ensure my company's tax stuff is with the accountant so that they'll have time to process it all. I know I'll feel better once it's all done, but I'm just really fucking stressed right now. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Just posting this to let off steam, as I'm in a bit of a state of anxiety. It's Friday night and I'm working furiously to ensure my company's tax stuff is with the accountant so that they'll have time to process it all. I know I'll feel better once it's all done, but I'm just really fucking stressed right now. 

One entry at a time Carbomb, hang in there. As it’s late on Friday now, will they be anxiously waiting? Is there anything you can dust off early in the morning so you can do a bit of a reset? Been here a few times in my job with edits and the like - try to remember the world will keep spinning even if the odd project/task needs more time every once in a while. 

Keep calm and think of a future scenario to look forward to. Like an ice, cold, lovely pint bought for you by Fatty Facesitter. Embarrassingly though because we’re both so young and handsome, we’ve had to show our ID. “Nicko! I didn’t know you legally changed your name to Fatty Facesitter?!”

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

One entry at a time Carbomb, hang in there. As it’s late on Friday now, will they be anxiously waiting? Is there anything you can dust off early in the morning so you can do a bit of a reset? Been here a few times in my job with edits and the like - try to remember the world will keep spinning even if the odd project/task needs more time every once in a while. 

Latest they've said I can submit all the stuff is Monday, but this weekend is just jammed with stuff that I can move around. Plus I don't want to be spending my weekend working - I'm really burnt out now (outside of Christmases, I've not had any holidays for the past nearly six years).

1 minute ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Keep calm and think of a future scenario to look forward to. Like an ice, cold, lovely pint bought for you by Fatty Facesitter. Embarrassingly though because we’re both so young and handsome, we’ve had to show our ID. “Nicko! I didn’t know you legally changed your name to Fatty Facesitter?!”

Thanks, that's just what I needed!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I'm starting to dip my toe back into the job market. I've hated my job for the best part of a year now but I've stayed due to a retention bonus payout coming up, absolutely gritting my teeth to get there and have now got to the point of counting down the days to motivate myself.

I'm grateful to have that AND a job during these times but also starting to shit myself that with the economy changing jobs will be hard or a bad idea...but I have to change something as I'm miserable where I am at right now. Shitting it a bit that I'll be trapped there in 2023.

• Paid Members

I work in a team of 8. We have a rule where only one person can have holiday on any one day. One person is on long-term sick. Because nobody thought to check on outstanding holiday balances, this week they authorised 4 people to be off on the same day because they won't carry over any unspent holiday.

3 of us trying to cover for 8.

On top of that, nobody thought to shift the lunches so that we'd be evenly spread, so the other two people went at 12:00, nobody went at 1:00, and I went at my usual time of 2:00.

Between 12;00 and 1:00, I was the "Team".

The second half of this week has been an absolute shit show, and that's not including the customers (including an American that actually tried the fucking Chewbacca defence from South Park on me, and a claims handler from Lloyds Insurance that couldn't work out for themselves that ÂŁ500 is more than ÂŁ400).

OnlyFans has never looked so tempting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

"I sent you a couple of emails. Have you received them?"

I can only find one. Were they all sent from the same email address?

"Yes"

There's definitely no others in the inbox. How many did you send?

"One".

I genuinely think I'm going to lose my mind if I keep having conversations like this.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Starting my first shift if a new job in about twenty minutes. In an actual office, surrounded by actual people, having been working in isolation at home for just over three years.

While appealing at first, having to get up over an hour earlier, having to commute (and thusly increase my fuel and insurance costs), and not being able to do the school run (and therefore having to wake the boy up over an hour earlier than normal and take him to a childminder) , I'm now questioning whether this was a wise decision. 

Oh, and I've got drop in somewhere that the mother in law died just before the weekend, so I'll be needing some time off (bathing in mind I'm already off in two weeks for pre-existing holiday).

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

46 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

While appealing at first, having to get up over an hour earlier, having to commute (and thusly increase my fuel and insurance costs), and not being able to do the school run (and therefore having to wake the boy up over an hour earlier than normal and take him to a childminder) , I'm now questioning whether this was a wise decision. 

Did you weigh all this up before you started, and do you have to be in the office every day? Is there extra salary to make up for it?

Best of luck in your new role and your first day.