Work

Tommy!

I only have one person in a similar role and he was very surprised that I am getting all this grief. He said he had nothing like that. 

I did stop talking when she did and said "sorry lost my train of thought when you checked your phone, where was I at" to make a point. 

They are covering the role for a maternity leave so only have 5 months left, potentially. And yes in the union. Should this be a conversation I should have with them? 

Edited by Daddymagic

39 minutes ago, Daddymagic said:

I only have one person in a similar role and he was very surprised that I am getting all this grief. He said he had nothing like that. 

I did stop talking when she did and said "sorry lost my train of thought when you checked your phone, where was I at" to make a point. 

They are covering the role for a maternity leave so only have 5 months left, potentially. And yes in the union. Should this be a conversation I should have with them? 

I’d certainly raise it with them and see what they say. Plus it shows when you addressed it with them so she can’t make out it’s a knee jerk reaction to a bollocking. Document times and dates of what she said, save emails etc, and that’s a marvellous response to her regarding the phone!

If she’s only there temporarily I’d hold off leaving a job you love because of some prick being a prick. 

4 hours ago, Daddymagic said:

I love my job, have worked there a long time and have great benefits but I really find working for her infuriating. As she is the top dog in my companies site I don't know what to do or where to go. But it's utterly demotivating. I don't want to leave, but have found myself starting to look at other areas and other companies as I feel totally despondent. 

Found myself in a similar situation as part of my reporting was direct to the CEO in my previous role who had no appreciation for how good a job we were doing as it wasn't as good as 5 years ago - without any acknowledgement of how the sales and contact centre game has changed in that time. I loved the people so didn't really want to leave but eventually bit the bullet and left due to feeling undervalued, best decision I have made. Landed on a higher salary with less responsibility if I'm being completely honest and in just 2 months feel more appreciated than I ever did in 4 years at my last place. Don't let yourself feel unappreciated, if you're already thinking about other jobs then you're probably not happy deep down. One thing I will say is I did get an offer I couldn't refuse though as it was a move from private to being a civil servant so it may just be that things worked out for me and won't for everyone.

27 minutes ago, neil said:

Only thing I would add is avoid saying things like "showed her how we were miles ahead of every one else"...comes off as pretty weak and something that I find most managers scoff at.

Having said that, this is very much true. I cannot stand any of my reports coming to me and making others look bad to make themselves look better. I know this wasn't what you were trying to do but it's possible it is coming across that way with the comparisons. Comparisons are fine but focus mostly on your own performance and the positives there when presenting as opposed to the negatives of other areas.

1 hour ago, FUM said:

Found myself in a similar situation as part of my reporting was direct to the CEO in my previous role who had no appreciation for how good a job we were doing as it wasn't as good as 5 years ago - without any acknowledgement of how the sales and contact centre game has changed in that time. I loved the people so didn't really want to leave but eventually bit the bullet and left due to feeling undervalued, best decision I have made. Landed on a higher salary with less responsibility if I'm being completely honest and in just 2 months feel more appreciated than I ever did in 4 years at my last place. Don't let yourself feel unappreciated, if you're already thinking about other jobs then you're probably not happy deep down. One thing I will say is I did get an offer I couldn't refuse though as it was a move from private to being a civil servant so it may just be that things worked out for me and won't for everyone.

Having said that, this is very much true. I cannot stand any of my reports coming to me and making others look bad to make themselves look better. I know this wasn't what you were trying to do but it's possible it is coming across that way with the comparisons. Comparisons are fine but focus mostly on your own performance and the positives there when presenting as opposed to the negatives of other areas.

Well done and does sound Similar. I have actually looked at jobs in that sector but find it a bit daunting as wording on adverts is very different from private sector 

• Paid Members

I need to learn about pgp and ssh encryption for files and sftp exchange, but I've been told to find my own course. However as I don't know what I don't know I don't know what I need to know, you know. 

So, can any one here recommend courses or key words I should be looking for to get the right content before I put some requests in. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

I need to learn about pgp and ssh encryption for files and sftp exchange, but I've been told to find my own course. However as I don't know what I don't know I don't know what I need to know, you know. 

So, can any one here recommend courses or key words I should be looking for to get the right content before I put some requests in. 

Well, what do you need to know about them in order to do your job? Are we talking about a job where you need to know what they are, or is this like an IT job where you need to know that PLUS how to install/configure them, or we talking about a software engineering job where someone is asking you to implement PGP/SSH?

• Moderators

I would suggest looking up "PGP basics" etc on youtube to get a basic overview. Then if you know the apps specifically you'll be using read or lookup documentation on them. I don't think you'd find a "course" for them.

Does anyone have any advice on getting a job in America from the UK? 

The missus and I have been hooked on Montana for a few years, and we've just got back from a road trip up the Midwest which confirmed it for me. I want to get things moving re: moving out there, and assume that getting work there is the best first step. I know we've got some defectors on here, so I'd really like some advice on how to go about things, what to prioritise and what to watch out for.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Moderators
3 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

The missus and I have been hooked on Montana for a few years, and we've just got back from a road trip up the Midwest which confirmed it for me. I want to get things moving re: moving out there, and assume that getting work there is the best first step. I know we've got some defectors on here, so I'd really like some advice on how to go about things, what to prioritise and what to watch out for.

Extremely hard. Your best bet is to try and find a company to sponsor you for a temporary work visa (H1-B), and to be honest, unless you are like a very qualified/experienced/in-demand worker in a high demand industry (software etc) then chances of that are very low.

3 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Dental floss farm?

17 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

If it's a lifestyle thing Canada may be an easier option?

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I'm  a pretty well-qualified mid-high level systems professional, which I figured gave me options. Looking at the job market here and there, the value for my role is way higher there, with average advertised salaries being 15-20% higher than similar ones in the UK, even factoring in added taxes. I also have naturalised extended family in Colorado (father-in-law), but that likely won't be relevant. The work visa point is the type of thing I was most unsure on, and will need to research more; I was going to chance it and just apply for jobs in the area I'm interested in, but knew there might be legal blockers/hoops.