Work

Tommy!

• Paid Members

@gmoney Just do as much due diligence as you can I’d say.

The same thing happened to me in late-2020. I got a random message on LinkedIn asking if I was interested in a role. Saw the company and his job title and thought, “Nah, this isn’t real.” But Googled around and couldn’t find anything to the contrary. Had a Teams call where he went over the role and team, then he told me the salary and it just seemed too good to be true. Sat on it for a couple of days and because I couldn’t find anything to say I shouldn’t believe it was genuine, went for it.

Pleased I did as I’m still at the same company over a year later, love the people and the company, got made a team lead around six months into the job, with a huge increase in salary from my previous role.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
Just now, Your Fight Site said:

@gmoney Just do as much due diligence as you can I’d say.

The same thing happened to me in late-2020. I got a random message on LinkedIn asking if I was interested in a role. Saw the company and his job title and thought, “Nah, this isn’t real.” But Googled around and couldn’t find anything to the contrary. Had a Teams call where he went over the role and team, then he told me the salary and it just seemed too good to be true. Sat on it for a couple of days and because I couldn’t find anything to the contrary, went for it.

Pleased I did as I’m still at the same company over a year later, got made a team lead around six months into the job, with a huge increase in salary from my previous role.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

We got a new boss a few weeks ago, after a year or two of essentially not having one, and several years prior to that of having a boss who was a part time consultant more than anything.

I don’t know if it’s just adjustment to having someone in charge of our department full-time, but god it’s high stress at the moment. They operate at a permanent state of near frenzy and it’s impossible to keep up with the rate at which new tasks are thrown at you. There’s constant meetings, including legit “meeting to discuss yesterday’s meeting”s. Everything we do do has to go to them first to be redone, and anything we’ve been doing for the past 5 years is either being taken away or changed substantially. It’s full on. By Thursday each week I’m getting little patches of irritated skin on my hands; they go away over the weekend and are back the following week and that’s probably not coincidence.

Is this what having a manager is usually like or have we got something to be concerned about? Genuine question.

• Awards Moderator
30 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Is this what having a manager is usually like or have we got something to be concerned about? Genuine question.

I've had a bunch and no, it varies. My current manager will happily sit in the background for weeks but then assists or helps as required. 

My feeling from your new manager is they are trying to justify why they've been brought in. Gut instinct, when they were brought in they were given hard targets and this is how they show progress. 

This sounds like classic micro management and thankfully there are many established tactics for getting the eye of Sauron off you.

Earn trust. Be proactive and book one to ones with them to establish directives. Show data that proves current methods work. Don't push back negatively. Request specific deliverables. Overshare progress by email. 

I've been there, I feel for you. 

This Indeed article is good, I also know there is one on LinkedIn learning that's very good. 

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/micromanagement

Feel free to DM for more. 

7 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

We got a new boss a few weeks ago, after a year or two of essentially not having one, and several years prior to that of having a boss who was a part time consultant more than anything.

I don’t know if it’s just adjustment to having someone in charge of our department full-time, but god it’s high stress at the moment. They operate at a permanent state of near frenzy and it’s impossible to keep up with the rate at which new tasks are thrown at you. There’s constant meetings, including legit “meeting to discuss yesterday’s meeting”s. Everything we do do has to go to them first to be redone, and anything we’ve been doing for the past 5 years is either being taken away or changed substantially. It’s full on. By Thursday each week I’m getting little patches of irritated skin on my hands; they go away over the weekend and are back the following week and that’s probably not coincidence.

I've found a lot of new managers often try to make big changes at the start. I think it varies why from manager; some throw a power trip, some are trying to impress their own manager (why bring them in rather than an internal candidate if there is no change) some are just shit managers (I'm a crap manager myself but I stay away from management jobs). I find after 3 months it generally goes away or lessens. One time I wrote a daily report of what I did, that manager soon left me alone so I'd stop writing the daily reports. 

• Moderators

Yeah definitely agree that unfortunately this is someone who probably isn't a good manager. One way of finding out for sure would be to gently push back on things like "meeting to discuss the previous meeting" and other inefficient practices. Potentially a bit of a risk doing so of course, but may make the new manager realise that they are going down a bad path...especially if its a common feeling and could lead to attrition.

I generally find the new manager coming in and making bold changes is an awful move. I feel like you have to come in making no changes and just listening for a bit to get the lay of the land so you can then roll out meaningful change without pissing off a bunch of people.

• Moderators
On 1/26/2022 at 3:30 PM, neil said:

I did not jinx myself, but I did end up turning them down because they used a recruiter who totally lied to get me in the door. Told me I was being considered as a senior manager when the hiring manager obviously had no clue of that, unfortunately for the recruiter their plan failed when I reached out to the hiring manager and asked to talk about how comes this offer isn't for the job I was told I was going to be offered.

Really don't understand why recruiters do this shit, guess they hope that people just decide to go along with it.

One more twist in this...about a week after I turned this down they made 20% of their staff redundant. Weren't in the areas I work in so I doubt I would've been impacted, but not a good sign for the company overall and glad I moved on from this offer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone have any advice on asking for a tiny raise when you’ve only had the job a few months?

As much as I’m loving my actual job and being back at work it’s a struggle. My place of work is under immense stress and it’s had a huge knock on my mental and physical health. We’re also going through massive financial difficulty at home.

They are advertising for the exact same role at £1 more than my current wage. I’m unsure how to go about asking for the new wage when I’ve not been there long (although as it stands I’m one of the longest members of night staff we have, it’s that bad at the moment).

Anyone been in a similar position?

• Paid Members

It that £1 more per hour? I'd definitely raise it with my manager, seems a bit off to hire a new starter at a higher wage than someone already there. It's possible that the ad is in error though, I suppose. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, gmoney said:

It that £1 more per hour? I'd definitely raise it with my manager, seems a bit off to hire a new starter at a higher wage than someone already there. It's possible that the ad is in error though, I suppose. 

They do it all the time. I came on at a higher wage than the others when I started, now we're desperate for staff again they upped the offer for new starters.

• Paid Members

Ask what's different about the new role and, if it pays more, can you be considered for that instead of yours. And, if not, can you be paid equally. I'd also treat the conversation as liking to understand why you're not being paid the same. It's down to them to justify, not you.