Work

Tommy!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting a new job soon after doing supermarket work for a while and I'm quite frankly terrified. I've worked at that job since I lived at home and I'm worried I'm going to struggle to adapt to the office environment. I've been content working there as it's fairly easy work and I could sometime only work 3-4 days a week because of the long shifts, but after getting abused and assaulted one too many times by customers, being treated like a child by some of the management and the unsociable shift times, I've been worn down by it all. I felt like a loser because of my lack of career and how you get treated in retail. I've had plenty of moments like this before, but I actually started actively seeking other work instead of moping around the place and convincing myself to stay as it's decent money for that line of work. My new job is still an entry office job, but it somehow feels more adult and that I'm actually getting my shit together, plus the 9-5 workday will mean I can spend more time with my partner. I'll be dealing with a lot of phone work, which freaks me out as I have pretty severe social anxiety that can turn me into a stuttering mess on occasion. I'm hoping I will be more composed when communicating via phone.

After getting physically assaulted by a customer, I decided to treat myself to a sickie. It's been years since I had last taken a day off for sickness and I've always tried to come in even if I was clearly unwell. I still have a few shifts left, so it's not like I'm deserting them on my last shift, but this didn't stop my manager from getting pissed off at me and trying to get me to come in, even though I told them that I have severe diarrhoea! Am I in the wrong for getting pissed off at this? I'm lying through my teeth, but to expect an employee to come in and handle food when they have a stomach bug like that seems ridiculous. Maybe they could sniff the BS, but this has happened to me before when I have been legitimately sick!

Sorry for the long rant. I just fancied getting this all off my chest. 

Edited by pitseleh

I’m coming to the end of a two week sick period. Been hobbling around for months with a fairly sore case of planter fasciitis and even with a note from my doctor to be excused from normal duties I was still expected to do full duties just on different rounds. It got to the point that walking with a limp has fucked me up in other areas now so I decided to make the most of the full pay sick policy whilst we still have it. They’d been fucking around not sorting my appointment with occupational health but funnily enough they sorted it as soon as I went off. Now they’ve been advised by the company they pay that they have to give me restricted duties for a minimum of 4 weeks and make a load of accommodations when I go back. I dare say it’s cost them a fair bit more than if they’d just listened to me in the first place. Cunts.

6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Oooof, really sorry to hear this. I've been suffering with it for about 2 months on and off now, so can (literally Clive) feel your pain.

Hazard of the job, part of the reason they were so reluctant to accommodate me in the first place was because they have so many on restricted duties with the same or similar issues. Obviously this just proves we’re all lazy and they need to get rid of sick pay and not that the job has a fairly high risk for longer term injuries (it does it’s, been proven).

Still waiting on my hgv training, hopefully that will come around next year and I can become a fat(ter) lazy trucker and only have to worry about straining my Yorkie arm.

22 hours ago, pitseleh said:

I'm starting a new job soon after doing supermarket work for a while and I'm quite frankly terrified. I've worked at that job since I lived at home and I'm worried I'm going to struggle to adapt to the office environment. I've been content working there as it's fairly easy work and I could sometime only work 3-4 days a week because of the long shifts, but after getting abused and assaulted one too many times by customers, being treated like a child by some of the management and the unsociable shift times, I've been worn down by it all. I felt like a loser because of my lack of career and how you get treated in retail. I've had plenty of moments like this before, but I actually started actively seeking other work instead of moping around the place and convincing myself to stay as it's decent money for that line of work. My new job is still an entry office job, but it somehow feels more adult and that I'm actually getting my shit together, plus the 9-5 workday will mean I can spend more time with my partner. I'll be dealing with a lot of phone work, which freaks me out as I have pretty severe social anxiety that can turn me into a stuttering mess on occasion. I'm hoping I will be more composed when communicating via phone.

After getting physically assaulted by a customer, I decided to treat myself to a sickie. It's been years since I had last taken a day off for sickness and I've always tried to come in even if I was clearly unwell. I still have a few shifts left, so it's not like I'm deserting them on my last shift, but this didn't stop my manager from getting pissed off at me and trying to get me to come in, even though I told them that I have severe diarrhoea! Am I in the wrong for getting pissed off at this? I'm lying through my teeth, but to expect an employee to come in and handle food when they have a stomach bug like that seems ridiculous. Maybe they could sniff the BS, but this has happened to me before when I have been legitimately sick!

Sorry for the long rant. I just fancied getting this all off my chest. 

Starting somewhere new will always bring anxiety, It is normal to be terrified. 

Regarding it being entry level, we all have to start somewhere. I spent 6 years in a call centre, where they treated staff like kids because we were easily replaceable, went somewhere else for entry level about 7.5 years ago.  The new place treated me with respect as the managers had all started at the bottom. You will get new skills and not be the new guy soon enough. 

Had my first interview in a while on Friday. Found out today didn't get it. Just an admin role. Hours were perfect to balance work and doing gigs in evening. Didn't get it. Everything's shit. I was a regular jobsbody until last March and it's just been two short recruitment sought jobs in that time. Failed every proper interview. Really struggling and it's just zero'd what social life I can afford when not just doing job applications all day and knowing the bank will eventually lower my OD and then I'm really going to be swimming.