Negative awards

RedRooster

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NavigatorFan said:

I will agree that in my 17 years of reading the forum I have obviously formed opinions and I trust that Butch chose the 18 month time limit carefully to find bullying, knowing he has not committed more than passive aggressive posts as highlighted above in this time. 

Passive Aggression is a real cunt isn't it? People should be banned for it. I think they have been in the past by my hands. As regards the timespan, that's the advantage a clique gets you.

But if you don't like it here because of cliques and so on, why stay? I can't imagine anything worse than being somewhere which makes me feel uncomfortable. Look at it like a house party, or a Bbq with people you hardly know. If you didn't enjoy it, and felt like you were an outsider, you'd get a taxi home. Or alternatively, get into the conversation, don't use terms like "snowflake" as you have recently and get into the cut and thrust and buy a vest 

Certainly don't make posts like this absolving past transgressions and then trying to lynch me for mine, for example.

"I know I'm in the minority of opinions in 2020 but punishing someone for saying the N Word 15 years ago as part of a wrestling promo is definitely snowflake material for me. That was clearly a promo, if vince told ziggler to say it to Kofi next week he would.... He would then apologise on SM. Is he still accountable for this promo a decade later?"

15 years is less than the 17 you've been studying here for. 

As you were. 

(they're coming back, only this time we all wear vests...)

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, NavigatorFan said:

That Keith is a much better person than I am shows the cliques that exist here. 

Keith 'is a much better person' than most I've met on any board or forum, that's not down to cliques that's down to the respect he's held in through his actions and words. 

I'm actually surprised to see some of the accusations in this thread against the form. I'm late to the party here and most things of worth have been said but I will say that looking back as a fairly well adjusted 34 year old in 2020 I've never felt there was a bullying element to the forum of certainly not since the early 2000s and honestly I can't remember accurately that far back. The thing is most of us were in our teens in the early days and any male back then is going to be at least a half bellend unsure how to communicate with other people which is always exaggerated behind the anonymity of a computer. I'm sure if I was 16 now i'd be one of the awful people commenting on Twitter and YouTube. 20 years later most of the long lasting posters have families, kids, careers or at least enough life experience and maturity to be able to communicate on here in a decent level. There's always going to be some piss taking and stuff that people say that annoy others but it never becomes nasty. I've had my lumps for over mentioning things but it was all in jest and never once did I feel a victim in anyway.

Going back I can think of maybe 3 or 4 times I've had a back and forth with a poster that still posts/ I can remember the name of and looking back sometimes I felt it was warranted other times not so much but it never became an issue that affected me and many of those same posters I've had good discussions with on here since. 

So i'll put out my support for all the posters here and the highly entertaining times the UKFF has given me over the years and say thank you for really being an overall good read over the last 16 years of my membership. 

• Paid Members

Things can end up feeling weirdly pressured on forums. You see a similar thing on social media, but forums can be particularly so. It's here to an extent, but I've seen it far more on some other forums.

Basically, it's a weird mixture of social interactions but with hierarchies. Some of those hierarchies are artificial (mods, mainly) and some are more organic (popular posters), but there's also the extra sort of pressure involved from a peer group where everyone is basically into the same thing - especially when that's a thing that you may not know *that* many people into in your real life. It's also higher when you have a proportion of people involved who are reasonably new to (or just outright bad at) social interactions.

Basically, for some people who haven't got that much experience of social groups like this in real life (and some who do), it can be easy to feel like a shared interest in something is enough to form an important bond over. As a result, the idea of acceptance/rejection by that peer group can become more overwhelming. There can be an element of 'but we're into the same things, so how dare you not like me?'.

It can still be a small group, but people with 'power' in that group can end up being perceived like 'forum famous'. Like they're on a different level of power and influence - which can also lead to feelings that that power and influence is being misused. You can see it on some reddit sub-forums, and I've definitely seen it on some other forums, where people end up treating what happens on forums incredibly seriously, with constant campaigns against mods.

Obviously, you have most people who don't feel like this at all. But that heightened sense of taking things personally, or feeling like injustices are happening, is definitely a thing on some forums. They can be a weird little pressured environment, with some of the same social rules as other social groups, but also very different ones. The more I've seen of it, the more I've thought of it as being like a schoolyard thing - where social groups or positions can end up feeling very heightened for some people (while, ironically, having fairly little meaning for a lot of those who are perceived as having power).

Taking this into account, I can see why someone might be worried about negative awards - it's a strangely heightened environment for some people, and the feeling of acceptance or rejection can be heightened too. So a fear that this group might reject you might feel like a serious thing.

However, I think out of most of the forums I've seen, this has been the one that's most likely to try and remind everyone that there are real people on the other side of the forum behaviour, and that pretty much everyone is probably a bit of a dick as well, so not to take it all too seriously. And in a way, I think the negative awards are part of that. They've been a bit heated at times, but for the most part, they're silly rather than vindictive. And a little bit of blowing off steam can be healthy as well, especially for such a long-running forum.

• Paid Members

Weird how the people who throw around phrases like 'cliques' and 'bullying' are also usually the posters with real unpopular opinions. Losing in a debate to an opinionated majority isn't bullying or an example of a clique. It feels like some posters here think forums work as a one-way system (or that's how they want them to work), where you can say something and not get pulled up on it.

8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

know I'm in the minority of opinions in 2020 but punishing someone for saying the N Word 15 years ago as part of a wrestling promo is definitely snowflake material for me.

I find it odd that objecting to the n word is snowflake behaviour but objecting to being called white noise is concern for others. 

It’s like when Mountevans used to bang on loads about bullying and favourites while saying it didn’t bother him. 

You gotta roll with it. 

I may be making an assumption here but I don't think all posters on this forum still watch wrestling, I know that I don't. I have a passing occasional interest but haven't actually watched any wrestling in years. I think the fact that people have stuck around after their interest in wrestling has disappeared shows what a nice place this is to post in.

Edited by deathrey