Negative awards

RedRooster

One thing to remember is that the awards are based over the whole year so it’s a decent indicator of who is having a bad month and who is just an arsehole constantly. You fuckers moaning are the reason we don’t have downvotes anymore. Bring back downvotes. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

One thing to remember is that the awards are based over the whole year so it’s a decent indicator of who is having a bad month and who is just an arsehole constantly. You fuckers moaning are the reason we don’t have downvotes anymore. Bring back downvotes. 

#GetDownVotesDone!

It's  been an interesting discussion has this, and I'm sorry that I'm a bit late too it

I was nominated for a whole load of shit awards back in day, probably because I was an awful poster. Hamstrung by then disability, and a car crash of a life  

However despite that, Ive still managed to meet many people off here at shows and various other events and places and made some good friends.

I cant thank some of them enough for their help after my best mate died or after some really messed up mental health episodes. 

I took a year off here nearly when nominated for white noise for the umpteenth time. Went away got life together and got on with what was important. 

The forum is what you make of it and post dont post, there is always lots for everyone. 

Do you scrap the awards for others? Well no, as it seems like you are governing someone else's mental health for them. Sometimes you have to take responsibility for your own MH and not put that on others or in this case the forum to do it for you.

If people are reaching that stage, there are plenty of ways to reach out  Samaritans, Mind, No Panic etc, or  others who can and have reached in. Enough of us have it, spoken candidly about it or helped others through stuff. 

Take the awards as being a forum feature and nowt more and get on with being you, wherever that journey takes you. 

I've been here 17 years (fucking hell) and barely post to be honest - but there isn't a clique imo. What there seems to be is blokes who share common interests and jokes from approaching 20 years of interacting with each other - which is surely to be expected.

A life changing post from me this one.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I've been here 17 years (fucking hell) and barely post to be honest - but there isn't a clique imo. What there seems to be is blokes who share common interests and jokes from approaching 20 years of interacting with each other - which is surely to be expected.

A life changing post from me this one.

It's fucking mental how long all of this has been going on in various guises really. But a testament to how good it can be too. There's a reason people keep bothering to come on.

• Paid Members

I think why some posters here bristle about accusations of bullying or resist the (reasonable) mental health points is because there's a recurring theme of it feeling like some of the more difficult posters have weaponised mental health, learning disabilities etc to try and avoid criticism. This may never have actually happened, but it has felt like it has. At the same time, Butch has been doxxed and he's not the only example of people havinf been legitimately victimised by people on here, and so some people will find that stuff hard to swallow. 

• Moderators

I'll tell you what gets my goat about all this shit is that this place and its inhabitants for the most part do a damn good job of actually stepping up and going above and beyond to help and support its members. When it actually matters people step up and walk the walk.

And I'm pretty proud of the culture we have here where we can have a laugh, don't wrap everyone in cotton wool but actually use mature judgement to treat people as to their individual needs. It means people actually feel like they can be themselves here, and that's a properly accepting environment that benefits this community far more than pussyfooting about and dismissing any need for people to take some personal responsibility for themselves as well.

Not everyone always hits the mark and you can say that in some situations in hindsight we as mods could have jumped in sooner but I don't think a heavy handed approach ultimately is for the longer-term benefit of the place.

The upsides are easily taken for granted. What makes a good community is subjective; trying to be all things to all people will only be detrimental and complete neutrality is not a goal we should be striving for at all.

And I think this is the root of what resonates with me when people say things along the lines of "if you don't like it then go" - it's not for everyone and that shouldn't be the aspiration, and that's how that sentiment should be taken.

I don't really have much to add that hasn't already been said but I'll add my own white noise. I've been a member here for 12 or so years, I'm more of a frequent reader than poster but I've always found it to be an incredibly welcoming place - as long as you engage your brain and dont act like a dick. 

I've got longer relationships on here than some real life friendships which is quite a strange thought. Anyway, I really think it is a great and supportive place on the whole and find the whole clique argument a bit strange as I can't see it, it's just some people have been here longer than others and post more.

The negative awards are in keeping with the general tone of the board I think, people get called on their shit and I think most of us are adult enough to take it in the spirit it's meant.

Also, on the suggestion of there being a designated mental health person - as someone who does that as part of their paid job, I would highly recommend against it. Mental health is not something to mess with, you need to be appropriately trained and I don't think it's a fair mental burden to put on any of the mods who already do more than enough here.

That was longer than I intended.....

Edited by deathrey

26 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

'Awards' got old around 1988. Just UKFF & the soap-lovies left then. I bet most of you do secret Santa too.

Secret Santa? Ok Boomer.

It's all about buying a present for the homeless and recording it on your phone now.