Negative awards

RedRooster

24 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Out of all of them I struck up a somewhat relationship with Keith and we even shared some PM's. In my opinion Keith is one of the kindest most compassionate posters on here who will lend his support to any that need it, seek out his posts in the 'Mental Health' and 'Speaking Out' thread if you need proof.

I never had many interactions with Butch aside from a few upvotes passed between us and it wasn't until he posted about golf that I felt the need to speak directly to him, unsurprisingly his response was one of gratitude. I wouldn't say we are mates but I certainly like Butch and this forum would be a lesser place without him

Did anyone of them get you 10% off a Hearts Of Oak shirt though????

Outrageous.

Seriously though, there has been some good points on this, and I'm sure that if someone got nominated and was REALLY upset by it, then a sensible PM to one of the mods would probably see something done about it. 

4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I can’t imagine I’m alone in feeling that way, and that’s why I think the awards are a bad idea. Not only do you have a democratic vote to tell you that a lot of people agree that you are what you fear you are, but you have the nomination process where a lot of people explain their vote giving you actual reasons.

Just for clarity, in a world without the negative awards, is is still okay to wade in to a thread to tell someone who's acting the giddy goat that they're ruining our enjoyment of the forum? Or does everything simply get reported and a conscientious mod discreetly delivers the feedback in a more palatable, shit-sandwich style evaluation?

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Chris B said:

That's quite a lot of responsibility to place on people. A quick example of how that could go wrong: A poster is dealing with a mental health crisis and requests to remove posting rights. The poster then dies from suicide. Was agreeing to remove the posting rights just removing their ability to ask for help in the mental health thread or similar? 

I think it puts people into too much of a position of wondering if they did the right thing. And that's tough for mental health professionals, let alone a bunch of dicks on a wrestling forum.

It was just something I thought of off the top of my head.We had a similar person on another forum I used(I filled in for them for about a month while they were unable to perform their duties) and seemed to work ok from what I can gather. You obviously need someone that has some training, so is not suitable for every forum.

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

I mean, I'm virtually fully (physically)crippled now. A major part of what kept me going was attending things like cricket and football matches. But I was always in mega-pain when I got home, so decided that going to those events were not worth the pain for what I was getting out of them. Same thing here...

I'm sorry to hear about your condition. You might concede, though, that if your physical pain was being exacerbated at these grounds by a team mascot slapping you with a wet haddock rather than anything to do with the match itself, it would be reasonable to at least question the value of such antics before deciding it's a you problem.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I'm sorry to hear about your condition. You might concede, though, that if your physical pain was being exacerbated at these grounds by a team mascot slapping you with a wet haddock rather than anything to do with the match itself, it would be reasonable to at least question the value of such antics before deciding it's a you problem.

Of course. If I was going to the ground to watch football, but someone randomly smacked me with a fish I'd question what was happening! But If I knew that the ground had a thing were folk were smacked with the fish, I'd be daft to go then complain I didn't like it. 

The awards(negative and positive) have been here for years and years. When I first signed up, I went through all the forums trying to get the lay of the land and pick up any unique posting etiquette the place may have and saw the award threads. So I knew before I ever typed a word that there was a chance I could be labeled a "Dolt". I'm not saying everyone will do that, but it's not like the awards are a top secret thing that is sprung on us at regular occasions. 

36 minutes ago, Little Johnny said:

Just for clarity, in a world without the negative awards, is is still okay to wade in to a thread to tell someone who's acting the giddy goat that they're ruining our enjoyment of the forum? Or does everything simply get reported and a conscientious mod discreetly delivers the feedback in a more palatable, shit-sandwich style evaluation?

For clarity, it’s the public vote that I find problematic. I know it’s not a perfect comparison, but imagine if you were in a crowded room and one person came up to you and called you a dick. It might piss you off, it might really upset you, but not nearly as much as it would if the entire room held a vote and decided you were the biggest dick in it. I’m not really sure what that achieves.

If someone is being a dick in a thread, that’s a different thing entirely. I’m actually a strong believer that you should challenge dickish behaviour. 

As for the ‘popular poster’ chat, for what it’s worth, as someone who joined the forum last year I’ve not really noticed pile-ons, cliquey behaviour or anything like that. I don’t even recognise one or two of the names that have been brought up.

I have seen @Frankie Crisp mentioned, and like Keith, I really want to highlight the supportive words he sent my way when I was struggling. I don’t think we’d had many interactions before then, but he made the effort to reach out anyway. At a time when I had not even told close friends in the real world how I was feeling, these things really mattered to me and actually helped.

I’m conscious of coming across as a vulnerable wreck here, I’m not, but I do feel an incredible gratitude to the posters who reached out with kind words when I really needed it. 

Edited by RedRooster

9 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Of course. If I was going to the ground to watch football, but someone randomly smacked me with a fish I'd question what was happening! But If I knew that the ground had a thing were folk were smacked with the fish, I'd be daft to go then complain I didn't like it.

But you wouldn't ever be tempted to suggest to the team or fellow supporters, "Hey, I really like the idea of attending a match, but could do without the fish slapping thing"?

"It's always been this way, so like it or lump it" is one response they could give, but it's not the only response.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Uncle Zeb said:

But you wouldn't ever be tempted to suggest to the team or fellow supporters, "Hey, I really like the idea of attending a match, but could do without the fish slapping thing"?

"It's always been this way, so like it or lump it" is one response they could give, but it's not the only response.

I'd suggest it, but I wouldn't expect anything to be done if 99% of the attendees think being slapped by a fish is something they want at games.

Like I say, I'm glad the conversation has come up, as the more talk about mental health issues the better. But I've always said that social media and online forums exasperate peoples issues a lot of the time, and encouraging people to step away for a while and relying on it less should always be the first step if someone is suffering(unless it is a dedicated mental health forum, and even they can cause negative effects sometimes). 

39 minutes ago, gmoney said:

This back and forth is White Noise worthy. 

I think it's a pretty valid discussion to be honest.

I was saying to a friend the other day that I don't think I'd survive growing up as a kid in 2020. With all the pressures of social media and shit like that. School was bad enough.

And while I don't think we really have any youngsters in here these days, I do understand how it can be difficult for some to see negative things posted about them when they'd just quite like to fit in. Even as adults, mental health issues or not, people can struggle with that stuff. Thankfully the older I get the less of a shit I give, but that's not the case for everyone.

Granted, a lot of that falls on them to make the effort when they're called up on their shit, and I doubt we'll all come to some miraculous agreement on this subject but it's at least worth not dismissing straight away.

• Paid Members

7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think it's a pretty valid discussion to be honest.

I was saying to a friend the other day that I don't think I'd survive growing up as a kid in 2020. With all the pressures of social media and shit like that. School was bad enough.

And while I don't think we really have any youngsters in here these days, I do understand how it can be difficult for some to see negative things posted about them when they'd just quite like to fit in. Even as adults, mental health issues or not, people can struggle with that stuff. Thankfully the older I get the less of a shit I give, but that's not the case for everyone.

Granted, a lot of that falls on them to make the effort when they're called up on their shit, and I doubt we'll all come to some miraculous agreement on this subject but it's at least worth not dismissing straight away.

It's not the wider discussion I was joking about, but the laborious metaphors that Zeb and Cod were indulging in. 

32 minutes ago, gmoney said:

It's not the wider discussion I was joking about, but the laborious metaphors that Zeb and Cod were indulging in. 

We've each mentioned it twice, in a four page thread. Hardly laborious.