WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

21 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

An VR recommendations? I got the Oculus Quest 2 so anything on the Oculus or Steam store would work - been playing Star Wars Squadrons and Beat Saber/Moon Rider recently all a lot of fun but any hidden gems to recommend?

I'll second Pixel Ripped 1989, especially if you have a fondness for retro stuff. It's a bit wonky in places, and occasionally a bit too difficult for its own good, but it's definitely worth a go.

In Death is quite underappreciated. It's a procedurally generated bow and arrow shooter where you're trying to clean up heaven or something. There are only a couple of levels which loop endlessly until you die, but it keeps throwing in new enemies so it gets more and more difficult each time you re-visit an area, and the layout of each level is always slightly different because everything's randomly laid out each time you go back. Hauntingly beautiful and very addictive!

Superhot is definitely on the list to get, the good thing with a lot of the quest games is that they work on their own in the headset, but you also get cross-buy with the rift version so you can plug the quest into your PC and play that version with better graphics as well.

Will pick up the pixel ripped games, there's a bundle for both versions on the store just now - cheers for the heads up I don't think I'd have found those browsing

• Paid Members

Does anybody play Kingdom Come: Deliverance? I've been absolutely obsessed with it. It's pretty much my dream game, being a huge medieval history lover and all, in terms of setting and I've never played a game which offers such a complete level of immersion as this one. I fucking adore it. 

3 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Does anybody play Kingdom Come: Deliverance? I've been absolutely obsessed with it. It's pretty much my dream game, being a huge medieval history lover and all, in terms of setting and I've never played a game which offers such a complete level of immersion as this one. I fucking adore it. 

It might just be my favourite game of this generation. Despite it's glitches and steep learning curve, it's the most immersive game I've ever played. I can't wait to see what Warhorse puts out next. 

• Paid Members

Hello. I've been looking at getting COD Modern Warfare. It's £59.99 on both the Xbox store and the PS store. The physical copy is available for £25. I downloaded Tekken 7 on PS4 with DLC for £11.99 the other day. Why is the digital price for COD so high?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Hello. I've been looking at getting COD Modern Warfare. It's £59.99 on both the Xbox store and the PS store. The physical copy is available for £25. I downloaded Tekken 7 on PS4 with DLC for £11.99 the other day. Why is the digital price for COD so high?

The digital market is generally catered towards 3 types of people. Those who are too lazy to go to the shops/wait for delivery, those who are too rich to care, and those who have no choice. Charging higher than retails prices for big name games is the done thing because those 3 types of people always buy them.

On a side note I'm currently playing Yakuza 4, which I've heard is the worst one. I'm enjoying it more than 3 however, as I was getting bored of playing as Kiryu and 3's quality is real low even compared to 4. 3 had a cracking story though.

There’s no competition on the digital market. PlayStation can set the price because it’s pretty rare a cheaper digital alternative becomes available elsewhere, unless it’s been reduced in the past and somebody has bought up the codes which is what I assume happens. You’d think that no physical media production costs and bricks and mortar overheads would mean cheaper prices but nope, no competition+mugs with money to burn=greedy PlayStation bastards.

That said, you can play the digital market by waiting for one of the frequent sales that are on or shopping around for digital currency at a reduced rate but CoD seems to hold a pretty high price for some reason.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

The digital market is generally catered towards 3 types of people. Those who are too lazy to go to the shops/wait for delivery, those who are too rich to care, and those who have no choice. Charging higher than retails prices for big name games is the done thing because those 3 types of people always buy them.

That's interesting. I've always thought it would be the opposite. That they'd want to make purchase online as attractive as possible. I personally can't get my head around the attraction of the COD games. Which means I would never pay £60 for it. I'm unlikely to pay that amount for any game.

38 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

On a side note I'm currently playing Yakuza 4, which I've heard is the worst one. I'm enjoying it more than 3 however, as I was getting bored of playing as Kiryu and 3's quality is real low even compared to 4. 3 had a cracking story though.

What an unfortunate trio of cases to stereotype it down to! I only buy digital now, and have done for a few years. I love the instant access, and the fact that I reinstall games after six months for another bash. Previously I was a serial offender of impulsive trade ins, and as great as they seem at the time I probably spent years getting fleeced by the likes of Gamestop and CEX, realistically. I know people have their qualms about not actually owning the content, but I don't feel that strongly about it when it comes to games, where the physical format's become a glorified access code for what is still essentially digital content. 

The big boys all do tend to be 5-10 bucks more expensive than retail when they come out, but they take no time at all to drop to prices that stores can't offer. Sometimes can't even offer pre owned. The new COD, Fifa, Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs etc are all for sale on Xbox at the moment. Steam? Forget about it! I've got more bang for my buck there than anything. Ever. 

• Paid Members

My brother in law keeps popping things in a group chat about being able to grab free stuff from international xbox regions. I wouldn't mind a Japanese playstation account to play some Densha De Go (Japanese train simulator) and other stuff that doesn't make its way to this side of the world. 

If you are willing to wait then you can get some cracking digital sales. The Big in Japan sale on PSN for example is always worth keeping an eye out for.

As much shit as COD gets though nothing beats the absolute piss take that is the Dead or Alive season passes or the £65.99 Blue Reflection season pass. 

Then again people must be buying them so CAPITALISM FTW BAYBAY. 

• Paid Members

The ultimate "I want this, but I don't want to pay much for it" game Maneater is coming to PS+ next week. YES!

The genre-defining PS2 classic Jaws Unleashed let me bust into Sea World, fuck up Shamu's shit and traumatise the watching audience forever. Your move, Maneater...

Edit: Got Jaws wrong

Edited by CleetusVanDamme