Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

He could have kept quiet or denied....

He could have called her a liar...

Instead he owns and acknowledges it.

Proper statement by Marty Scurll.

TL;DR version:

"This woman was abused. She said I was one of the abusers. I can only speak of what I know to be true, and that is that she was well up for it when she was with me".

40 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

TL;DR version:

"This woman was abused. She said I was one of the abusers. I can only speak of what I know to be true, and that is that she was well up for it when she was with me".

Inebriated teen was “well up for it”.

Being intoxicated doesn’t mean consent is automatic. Pretty sure the law sees it completely opposite.
not a good look for MS.

I remember years ago on here saying that if a girl was (too) drunk, she can't technically give consent. I remember being shouted down by a small handful of forum members who thought that was absurd. One guy even said to me "wait... so you're saying if I meet a girl at a pub and shes drunk I can't have sex with her? You're stupid."

I'm glad to see the mentality has started to change. It was quiet a common one at University as well. Always found it vile that guys would on purposely get girls incredibly drunk in a attempt to improve their chances of sex. Even had to help my partner and her housemates turf out this one guy after he came back with one of their female housemates who was practically adamant he had a right to have sex with her despite her being practically unable to speak. 

12 minutes ago, elisarcabrera said:

I presume this was what you wanted to highlight?

The question of capacity to consent is particularly relevant when a complainant is intoxicated by alcohol or affected by drugs.

In R v Bree [2007] EWCA 256, the Court of Appeal explored the issue of capacity and consent, stating that, if, through drink, or for any other reason, a complainant had temporarily lost her capacity to choose whether to have sexual intercourse, she was not consenting, and subject to the defendant's state of mind, if intercourse took place, that would be rape. However, where a complainant had voluntarily consumed substantial quantities of alcohol, but nevertheless remained capable of choosing whether to have intercourse, and agreed to do so, that would not be rape. Further, they identified that capacity to consent may evaporate well before a complainant becomes unconscious. Whether this is so or not, however, depends on the facts of the case.

10 hours ago, poetofthedeed said:

Is it true that scurll is straight edge? If so then at the minimum he targeted a drunk girl for sex, which is sleazy as fuck. Also she's called bullshit on him not knowing her age, claiming she trained under him the year before..... 

The girl in question posted screenshots of a conversation between Scurll and her Dad in which Scurll admits to being "trashed" at the time. Assuming he's telling the truth, it appears they were both drunk that night.

• Paid Members

I think this thread has been very telling in regards to the people who have only shown their face to excuse shitty behaviour or going as far as, in my opinion, deliberately derailing this thread from the intended discussion. Also, the ones who only pop in to like posts of those excusing shitty behaviour.

At some point we need to have a discussion about how the changes that are bound to happen in the wrestling industry now, especially over here, need to be transferred to its support and fan base. There are some distinctly problematic and worrying posts in this thread and, considering this forum has, let's say, a chequered past when it comes to members and their conduct, it's clear the buck shouldn't just stop with talent.

There seems to be two sides to the wrestling industry in Britain as I see it (entirely my opinion). You've got the one side that are pretty progressive and are willing to adapt to do what's right whilst remaining in the forefront of the evolution of British wrestling, then you've got the holiday camp promotions who do things in a very old fashioned, carny way who are highly unlikely to adapt and will probably actively resist attempts to safeguard the industry - I may well be wrong in this, and I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. I'm actually more concerned with the former as they are the people that are setting the tone and are of greatest influence not just to British independent wrestling but to independent wrestling around the world. The latter will always be there and honestly I don't think they'll adapt because they attract an entirely different audience. 

...and FWIW, I'm minded to be fairly conservative (small c I must emphasise!) with changes in wrestling. I've been to the odd Riptide show where I've thought 'Christ, come on, this is too far', but I'm learning to adapt and to learn about the rationale behind these changes.

Edited by AVM

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think this thread has been very telling in regards to the people who have only shown their face to excuse shitty behaviour or going as far as, in my opinion, deliberately derailing this thread from the intended discussion. Also, the ones who only pop in to like posts of those excusing shitty behaviour.

At some point we need to have a discussion about how the changes that are bound to happen in the wrestling industry now, especially over here, need to be transferred to its support and fan base. There are some distinctly problematic and worrying posts in this thread and, considering this forum has, let's say, a chequered past when it comes to members and their conduct, it's clear the buck shouldn't just stop with talent.

Very much agreed with this. And there's plenty to suggest that it's a good thing and that the culture can change.

Look at what @andrew "the ref" coyne was saying about the understanding of consent and alcohol was like not too long ago. That overall conversation has moved past the initial defensiveness, and now the outliers are the ones who still argue the point. In the same way that stupid Irish jokes were phased out in the 90s, most of us have grown up and matured and now understand more about what other people are dealing with.

Back in the post-ECW times of the FWA, we're talking about a fanbase that would cheerfully chant "She's a crack-whore" at Jane Childs at Frontiers of Honour. And, weirdly, it was clearly meant in good jest, rather than outright misogyny. That's the kind of thing that just wouldn't fly now and that almost nobody would want to do anymore anyway. 

Some people have been talking about this being a dark time, etc, and others have been pointing out that, no, it's a good thing. This is the light being turned on and how change happens. The culture has changed and we're all far less likely to casually/ironically be offensive for humour or shock value. We've all changed enormously over the last 5, 10, 15 years.  Now it's about less tolerance being shown to those who won't change.

Edited by Chris B

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Absolutely.  You also know that it's a stick on that those using the "16 is legal" defence (which I actually mentioned in the opening post but didn't expect it to be so prevalent) would be saying "15 is legal" is the age of consent was lowered a year". And they would do so without wondering why it's wrong.

Just because it's legal doesn't make it moral.  And just because your favourite promotions or wrestlers are implicated means you have to defend them like idiot football fans. I'd rather have believed a liar than defended an abuser.