WWE Covid-19 shut down - what could they show instead?

Weezenal

35 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Literally everything else in the world is forced to have found another way for now.

Well that’s not really true. Most similar things (sports, theatre) have just stopped, because the options are closed set or nothing. Wrestling has pretty much stopped besides WWE and AEW, but other promotions likely would still be doing shows if they had the resources and incentive (like TV contracts) to do so.

We can fantasy book all the insider, niche fan backstage documentaries in the world for them to broadcast instead, but it’s basically the same as demanding they put the belts on Cesaro and Paul London - not suitable content for prime time TV. Although anything would be better than last week’s Raw.

• Paid Members

Just show random stuff. Like literally take your big WWE database of digitised content and make it randomly put together matches/promos/segments to fill three hours. You'd be watching a 1987 AWA squash and have no idea if you were getting Steamboat-Flair, a Smoky Mountain angle, Warlord promoting a house show, Blacktop Bully vs Shinjiro Ohtani, or Kamala learns bowling next.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tamura said:

Damn those networks and advertisers for wanting up-to-date TV shows featuring stars that current viewership will be familiar with, instead of Skinner versus Repo Man from 1991 with German commentary.

I'd take that over several of this years matches from Mania. 

2 hours ago, Tamura said:

Damn those networks and advertisers for wanting up-to-date TV shows featuring stars that current viewership will be familiar with, instead of Skinner versus Repo Man from 1991 with German commentary.

You either can't read or choose to be an idiot, which is it?I said a MIX of current and old school stuff. If you actually look at the WWE viewership it is heavy on 40+ year old males which would actually probably get a kick out of the old footage. 

Of course we could just have the standard Ziggler v Kingston, Usos vs New Day or any number of repetitive bullshit that is drawing the worst ratings in over a decade. WWE should sure keep with that winning formula (rolls eyes).

Edited by Michael_3165

• Paid Members

Going live every week as is currently the plan, I'll be very surprised if the end result isn't them just airing, "Best Of," footage in a month or so after a major embarrassment. Someone's either going to get sick/dead and/or the Networks themselves are going to eventually order them to get a grip and stop trying to deliver a live product by any means necessary. Same as what's happened with UFC. They're going to continue to act like nutcases until their programming partners themselves step in and tell them to stop.

I don't follow other sports, but is WWE and UFC really that unique? Do other sports not have similar TV contracts where they're required to deliver a certain amount of live programming? What makes pro-wrestling and MMA different? Surely all those other sports have just accepted the financial loss, explaining to their programming partners that they can't adhere to their contracts without putting the participants in danger? Theoretically, you could do basketball or hockey or whatever in empty arenas. It would seem to me that the only difference is that those sports aren't ran by fucking maniacs.

WWE's press release about continuing to go live was fascinating, too. I can't tell whether it's just corporate bullshit for them to justify their actions of if they actually believe this bollocks.

"We believe it is now more important than ever to provide people with a diversion from these hard times," the statement said. "We are producing content on a closed set with only essential personnel in attendance following appropriate guidelines while taking additional precautions to ensure the health and wellness of our performers and staff.

As a brand that has been woven into the fabric of society, WWE and its Superstars bring families together and deliver a sense of hope, determination and perseverance."

With almost anyone else, you'd read that and instantly recognise that they don't actually believe what they're saying, but this company? With Vince and Stephanie in particular? I can completely buy that they consider what they do to be somehow essential to Americana, with it being their duty to provide this vital service no matter what.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Vince McMahon in a room answering fan questions live. I'd happily watch this every week in place of Raw, NXT and SD. The weirdest and most fascinating man alive.

In all seriousness, wouldn't some new Steve Austin interviews (held live if absoloutely needs be) satisfy all the requirements while avoiding fake fighting in an empty studio that makes the Impact Zone in 2016 sound like the Pontiac Silverdome?

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

A weekly show touring their archives and showing all the stuff they have in storage.

This as a overarching set of links to archive footage related to it would be great. How easy is it to show a few props and tell a few stories between matches and promos related to a single wrestler, tag team, faction or show per episode. 

You've got the chance to mix old & recent footage and create new content off old footage with minimal effort or cost. 

I don't think the networks will tell them to stop. They obviously haven't so far. If they did I'd imagine the WWE would fit in a mass taping block as they had planned to do. We still don't know why they changed their mind on that. Maybe it was just Vince being bonkers. Maybe the network had said that it would consider anything less than live a breach of contract or just hadn't said that they wouldn't do that (which is probably more the case). 

Probably the logical thing to do would be to focus each show on a wrestler or feud. Do career retrospectives of your two new world champions, showing full matches around newly recorded interviews at home. But RAW is 3 fucking hours long. 

I can't really see them convincing networks to let them show old footage. Plus you'd pity the poor bastard going through it all to find stuff that's suitable to air on network television in 2020. 

Actually, fuck it, just do Tuesday Night Titans over Skype. 

As much as people believe its Vince being Vince, I do wonder how how pressure wwe is under from networks to still produce new content (although doubt Vinnie takes much convincing) 

Mania was maybe too close to pull and we don't know full details of what went on for them etc, but after last week surely taking a break for even a month until some kind of timeline is made for the world then assess if they need to continue on in empty pc or start hyping the return to live with a crowd Raw stack the thing with Edge, Austin etc and make it a huge event.

5 minutes ago, Vamp said:

Probably the logical thing to do would be to focus each show on a wrestler or feud. Do career retrospectives of your two new world champions, showing full matches around newly recorded interviews at home. But RAW is 3 fucking hours long. 

That’s my thoughts on how they should have built Mania. A three hour Raw could easily have been focused around Styles/Undertaker with interviews, video packages mixed up with their best matches. Get half the roster filming talking head spots from home to keep them all fresh. Have all of Undertakers past opponents pop up for interviews. That could have probably carried on indefinitely with Mania being the first live show back (although probably in a much smaller venue as I can imagine it being a while before 60,000 people are allowed to gather in one place)